YouTube Plans To Offer Paid Subscription Channels: Report

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Agreed, $5 for the service and not per channel and I'm in. I already have Netflix and it's pretty much the same model. I have Cox cable just for the internet (crazy fast), but the phone and TV is part of the package. If I could just pay for Cartoon Network and maybe a couple others I'd be all over that as well.

I just really don't care for program TV anymore.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

01 January 2013
As for pay per channel, have you heard of Intel's plans? http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellycl...microsoft-cant/

01 January 2013
Regardless of whether they charge per show or channel, they will still suffer from the same thing that every other broad/narrow-cast service has: Lack of quality content and ineffective or outdated methods of promotion/advertising. Not everything can go viral in order to attract eyeballs.

The thing that pisses me off about Netflix, Amazon, etc., is their very limited catalogs and poor relationships with studios that keep a paranoia-driven iron grip on their content. I guess this is why Youtube wants to start with the established, low-rent channels already in existence. But I think they will still have trouble coming up with enough content for these subscription channels.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: Lack of quality content and ineffective or outdated methods of promotion/advertising.

This, absolutely!

It's funny, no matter how things change the more they stay the same. Instead of flipping through 100 TV channels finding nothing to watch, now I'm browsing through menu after menu on Netflix and still not finding anything to watch.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

01 January 2013
I've always had the sneaking suspicion that Google bought Youtube with an eye towards - eventually - turning it into a pay-per-view service.

A lot of stuff would be free as before, of course.

But if you want to watch new Hollywood films and TV show episodes, then you pay.

It's going to be interesting to see how Google approaches the whole pay-to-view thing.

Will they be sucessfull?

Yes, very likely. Youtube/Google search combined has the biggest database of what people like and want to watch/listen to in the world.

That intricate data pointing out what each person likes/looks for/dislikes is worth gold if you are going pay-per-view or pay-per-channel.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by DePaint: That intricate data pointing out what each person likes/looks for/dislikes is worth gold if you are going pay-per-view or pay-per-channel.

Yeah, Youtube is starting to get real annoying with that info. I watch one video and the next thing I know, everything in the related list is "Recommended for You" and it's related to that other video I watched a week ago.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Yeah, Youtube is starting to get real annoying with that info. I watch one video and the next thing I know, everything in the related list is "Recommended for You" and it's related to that other video I watched a week ago.

I dont mind that too be honest, I have actually found a couple of great channels that way, but for gods sake, I wish I could put my subscriptions as the default view. If I am lacking in shit to watch, then sure I will peruse the recommendations.

As per your Netflix issue, yeah, it becomes 100 times worse the more people are around you. lol. I find, at least personally, that having a list of shows that I intend / want to watch is a great way of keeping myself from flicking through. Also Googling 'top 10 XYZ' is a fantastic way of finding great shows. Found Young Justice through that, as well as Akibarangers, Gravity Falls and a bunch others.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread