CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
YouTube Plans To Offer Paid Subscription Channels: Report

Quote:
"The Google-owned service wants content companies to apply for opportunities to put about 25 channels on YouTube that will charge customers as much as $5 a month, Ad Age reports today. The channels are expected to be up by mid-year with fare that could run the gamut from episodic series to libraries, live events, and advice shows. YouTube would collect about 45% of the subscription revenue; it currently takes about the same percentage of the revenue from the ads it sells. "

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/youtube-paid-channels/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
So... paid channels.... and a revenue sharing scheme similar to movie cinemas....

Interesting.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

I "cut the cord" and never looked back over a year ago, so any more online content is certainly welcomed here.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Papa Lazarou
Lord of the posts

Probably worth a shot.

Though given how youtube channels seem to define their success by 'views', paid subscription is probably the surest way to keep that down.

Also, 45%? That's probably a good rate, by the standards of old media, cinemas and dvd. By internet standards, I dunno.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
Interesting idea, I haven't had cable for about 9 years so I usually have to wait for DVD releases to check out shows, but there are always a few I'd like to watch more quickly like Breaking Bad.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

I applaud this move...

Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Youtube's Long-Term Strategy has always been this IMO:

1) Keep everything as "free content" for a couple of years.

2) Get 10s of Millions of people to get used to using Youtube for their daily video intake.

3) At some point, at an opportune moment, roll out "paid services" like viewing Feature Films for money on Youtube.

4) In doing so, become the biggest "Virtual Video-Rental Store" on the Internet.

So what they are doing doesn't surprise me one bit.

Wait until they start offering Feature Films, Documentaries and TV Shows on a Pay-Per-View basis.

It's gonna happen. 2013 seems to be their target year for this...

Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

This isn't any different from all other internet strategies. First you get eyeballs, keep it free, and when you have enough you start to progressively turn some -new- features into 'paid only' Facebook is doing it with sponsored posts now.

The only other alternative is, when it's free and it remains free, then you are the product. I hope we move away from that culture. I don't mind paying, especially these micro payments. I like endorsing the indie artists this way. A song here and there, an app, a software.

I hope we get used to paying, so the creative economy will grow. Not just ads and advertisers who are the only one paying anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
Youtube's Long-Term Strategy has always been this IMO:

1) Keep everything as "free content" for a couple of years.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

i think it wont be a success. It got big because it was 'free'. The majority of ppl on youtube wont like it.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Geta-Ve
Jee-Tah-Vee

portfolio
Michael Jarvis
Freelance Modeller
Canada

So, is this $5 per channel or just a $5 per month sub to YouTube? Because if it is per channel, then I can almost guarantee that the whole thing will be an utter failure. I don't even pay $5 per channel for TV.

If it is simply a subscription to enable YouTube viewers to watch 'paid' channels, then sure, I can dig it. There are a lot of great content creators on YouTube that deserve to reap their rewards.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta-Ve
So, is this $5 per channel or just a $5 per month sub to YouTube? Because if it is per channel, then I can almost guarantee that the whole thing will be an utter failure. I don't even pay $5 per channel for TV.

If it is simply a subscription to enable YouTube viewers to watch 'paid' channels, then sure, I can dig it. There are a lot of great content creators on YouTube that deserve to reap their rewards.

I wish cable offered packages of something like $5 per channel. That way I could pick and choose the channels I watch. You may not pay $5 per channel, but you are paying for channels you don't even watch. Which sounds worst to me. You are paying for something ridiculous like sewing channel so the CEO can drive his Bentley to work today.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPixolin
I wish cable offered packages of something like $5 per channel. That way I could pick and choose the channels I watch. You may not pay $5 per channel, but you are paying for channels you don't even watch. Which sounds worst to me. You are paying for something ridiculous like sewing channel so the CEO can drive his Bentley to work today.

This to me is a huge mistake by cable companies. I would pay for at least three channels if they let me do it that way. But I don't have cable cause I don't want to pay loads of money for dozens of channels I'll never watch.

Thought I heard a little while back that a cable company was going to try this...

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188
This to me is a huge mistake by cable companies. I would pay for at least three channels if they let me do it that way. But I don't have cable cause I don't want to pay loads of money for dozens of channels I'll never watch.

Thought I heard a little while back that a cable company was going to try this...

Yeah I believe it was Cox cable up near your way that was doing a trial run a year or so ago, not sure what came from that. After I read about it, I called Comcast to ask if they did such a thing. They did not and I canceled my TV services on the spot. My bill was around $230/month when I cancelled.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
astu11
Veteran

portfolio
Asher
Washington DC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
Wait until they start offering Feature Films, Documentaries and TV Shows on a Pay-Per-View basis.

They do: http://www.youtube.com/movies?feature=guide

Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

I don't mind it if the content being posted is worthwhile, as mentioned though I would rather pay one fee to access the shows instead of 5 bucks a channel. I suppose if they are smart they would do both where you could pay for an individual channel or more to get a bulk subscription. It sounds like it would be a nice incentive for more independent webshows though which I have regularly enjoyed watching many i've found.

My wifi app FoxFi did something similar where it was a free product for quite some time when it came out, eventually they had a mandatory update to make it keep functioning that cost 7 dollars (one time charge for unlimited hotspot hosting through phone) I didn't mind since I already knew it was a quality app that did what I wanted.

Thread Closed share thread