Framestore to open in Montréal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Vancouver part II, here we go. This is the new race to the bottom.

Everyone's just going to incentivize each other into oblivion, and there will be even more displaced artists floating around the world once these areas (like Vancouver is now) realize they can't maintain the subsidies.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by almagesto: good for you.

by the way, I see you got the whole point of the thread.....................

Yes it is good for me actually.

01 January 2013
The federal government has always favored the Eastern provinces. There was talk of BC and Alberta separating decades ago.
I could see Alberta doing it before BC.

Quebec--we had to learn French in school and products have to carry bilingual labels or they cant come into the country easily which irritates-especially since I have never ever had to use French except when talking to a federal government office. Waste of school time for the most part. Would have rather learned Latin or Greek.

It would make more sense to teach kids cantonese and mandarin in BC these days than French.

A few decades ago there was a brief drive to develop english and french canadian film (with taxpayer money -offering a 100 percent return on investment) but that seems to have died down a lot even in Quebec and the aim now is to service Hollywood at least when it comes to films that have a use for computer effects.
In the days before cgi the very few canadian films that had traditional effects were mostly bringing in people from the US to do it.

01 January 2013
Would London artists be able to ask for a transfer? I mean some of the London management have been shipped over to get things started. Or would they just reapply for the vacancies.

Personally I see companies needing to reduce overheads for their survival in the current economy. So whatever financial advantage they can get, the are going to take it. Also I see Framestore is actually trying their best to do what they can for their staff and keeping them updated it seems, if what VFXSoldier has posted is correct. As some large UK companies in the past few months have just gone bust and left staff with unpaid wages. Hopefully will things get better.

That aside it's nice to see that Framestore has some nice films lined up to be worked on.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by almagesto: good for you.

by the way, I see you got the whole point of the thread.....................

The point of the thread, looking at the title, is that FS is opening in Montreal. An artist happy about having the city as an option is fairly on topic IMO.

That Kill or the staf offsetting came up later doesn't suddenly make discussion about working in Montreal becoming an option suddenly OT

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Darkherow: Would London artists be able to ask for a transfer? I mean some of the London management have been shipped over to get things started. Or would they just reapply for the vacancies.

Personally I see companies needing to reduce overheads for their survival in the current economy. So whatever financial advantage they can get, the are going to take it. Also I see Framestore is actually trying their best to do what they can for their staff and keeping them updated it seems, if what VFXSoldier has posted is correct. As some large UK companies in the past few months have just gone bust and left staff with unpaid wages. Hopefully will things get better.

That aside it's nice to see that Framestore has some nice films lined up to be worked on.

So instead of the industry demanding higher pay for these jobs that leave them bankrupt (I shouldn't hear of studios losing money on a job) we rely on the government to pay money so we can undercut the opposition, and drive budgets even lower. I'm all for studios opening up all over, but I feel like our industry is in somewhat of a downward spiral right now.

(sorry if this is edging on OT, I know we already had a subsidy discussion)

www.MichaelSime.com

01 January 2013
But isn't it the case anyway that government is involved in all sectors, they impose taxes on exports and imports, VAT and etc. It is not just the VFX industry that gets affected by government policies. Also other sectors are hurting in the economy with the exceptions of such as China's construction industry.

I didn't really want to mention this as it's going even more off topic and I'm no expert but most of the general public can tell, the UK itself is facing hard times, high cost of running studios in the UK since VAT and taxes are so high in the UK. That's probably why some are taking up subsidies to cut the cost campared to the taxes paid here.

01 January 2013
Too often I have seen vfx companies in either Ontario or Quebec promoting their business by stating that they have big fat tax credits. I would think that better managing your business affairs and projects would be a better solution than government departments footing half the costs of a production. The Federal government in Canada has no say in what provinces offer for tax credits, that comes from the regional bureaucrats.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

01 January 2013
Quote: Personally I see companies needing to reduce overheads for their survival in the current economy.

Cutting overheads for survival is nothing new and nothing to do with the current economic climate. You should remember what happened to the likes of Mill Film or the big staff cull at Sony. Things wont get better, if anything I would expect all the major firms in London to slim right down and open offices in more tax efficient places.

b

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by evolucian: Quebec's been a financial parasite to the rest of Canada. Ontario carried the load for a while with business and car manufacturing, more recently taking a dive due to the 08 crash and manufacturing exporting jobs, but thankfully Alberta has the oil biz up and running well to take over the mantle.

I dont know, i like Quebec as a visitor, but when it comes to politics and finances, there's either widespread mafia corruption, huge protests or the latest adventure in crumbling city infrastructure:

Your post stink.

Montreal was the economic center of Canada for 2 freaking centuries. Only since the 70's Toronto took the pole position.

And how can you complain of corruption and widespread protest in the same sentence when this here protest was against this here corruption?!

I dont deny Quebec Gov is run by a bunch of short sighted politicians, selling the province ressources like mad, but your post is completely out of topic and unnecessary.

01 January 2013
Gotta love when people turn vfx discussion into cultural one. Aaaah Canada

But yeah, just so you people know

Digital District openned a studio in January in Montreal
Framestore is openning (I hear) 80 seats in Montreal in February (not the 200 you people wrote..)
MPC arrives in June I believe
McGruff is also openning a studio for an animated Feature Film
Mikros Image also kickstart their second year in Montreal with two animated feature film in production.

so yep, lots of job in Montreal.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by JsGuillemette: so yep, lots of job in Montreal.

Yes, for one project and all the international staff, except for the local receptionist, accountant, and a handful of IT guys.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Mic_Ma: Yes, for one project and all the international staff, except for the local receptionist, accountant, and a handful of IT guys.

Usually, to qualify for funds, rebates and other similar local initiatives, a certain percentage of overall staff and some roles have mandates to respect.
IE: 54% of the workforce excluded support staff needs to have a national passport (qualified as catering, building services etc.), large or totality of the purchases for equipment have to be made from local business and so on.

I can't claim I know how the ones in Quebec work, I have in fact no idea, but I'd be surprised if they could run with mostly internetional staff and shipped equipment. Chances are half the staff and the totality of the hard infrastructure will have to be sourced locally to qualify.

Anybody knows the details of that for Quebec?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by mr Bob: Cutting overheads for survival is nothing new and nothing to do with the current economic climate. You should remember what happened to the likes of Mill Film or the big staff cull at Sony. Things wont get better, if anything I would expect all the major firms in London to slim right down and open offices in more tax efficient places.

b

^QFA^

I work in shortform, not film VFX, but I'm beginning to wonder if London VFX has just been in a little golden bubble over the past decade or so. The VFX industry emerged here in the 90's and bloomed in the 00's, colleges started turning out plenty of fresh new artists to satisy the demand from growing companies, and the UK tax credits attracted plenty of work here. This all combined to make a thriving industry in soho.

But now, as we all know, other countries are offering better tax deals and are in effect pulling (forcing?) work away from London. Is that bubble now beginning to deflate a little? I'm sure there will always be work here but perhaps not on the scale it has been over the past few years.

Please, feel free to tell me I'm wrong, I hope I am! I have plenty of friends in VFX, some of them have been working for 10 - 15 years and are now quite settled in life with families and mortgages etc. I imagine galavanting around the world chasing tax subsidies really ain't an attractive option!

01 January 2013
Quote: Is that bubble now beginning to deflate a little?

The bubble burst 1,5 years ago, not sure how you could not have heard the bang

As to Montreal: I recall Montreal to be some sort of CGI Mekka, 20 years ago. Maybe you just have to survive long enough to see the merry go round stop by your place once again.

Thread Closed share thread