Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #46
toonafish
Forgot-it-all

portfolio
Fishy dude
freelance CG artist
owner Toonafish
Netherlands

well I must say, I liked the message that can be learned from this little story; grow a long beard and pretty women will jump on the back of your horse. I think I'm gonna try that, I don't have a horse, so I hope my bike will do ;-)

I liked the story, but I agree, I would have liked it even better if the idea of "it's not about the goal, but the journey" would have been kept alive . This ending, even though it creates a nice circular storyline, kind of goes against that message.

Nevertheless, I'm a sucker for nice circular stories, so I prolly would have ended it in a similar way :-)

www.toonafish.nl
Buy stock objects

Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #47
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonafish
well I must say, I liked the message that can be learned from this little story; grow a long beard and pretty women will jump on the back of your horse.

This comment made my day.

Now I know what I want to do when I grow up

Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #48
JeroenDStout
Coppélius at work

portfolio
Jeroen Stout
Independant Game Developer
Stout Games
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
There is the human nature part of us in that the majority of the human race acts like the depiction in the animation. You would have to live under a rock and not see that many men and women behave so. There is another part of us that will intellectualize anything,.... really. So you know it isnt correct to depict females in the way the animation does by perpetuating a stereotype, then you turn around and boast about being able to horse ride, and thus perpetuate the male stereotype and actually the core of what the animation is about.

Why would I have to know you can horseride?

By Jove and all, I just said that because while I personalized the idea of horseriding attracting women I realized I do ride horse and it would be an amusing aside to mention I do ride horse. I breathe oxygen and have metabolism just like you and thought it would be entertaining to have a discussion as human beings who might quip about their past-times.

Perhaps I live in a bubble because the men and women I know do not act so nor greatly value people who act so. From what I hear second-hand, from female friends, the 'simply the way the world is' versus 'why must it be this annoying' ratio is skewed in one direction.

And I do not pretend to know what is 'correct' or even (ho-hum) PC, nor do I raise an issue 'for the women' that I think all women would agree with. I do not find it 'inappropriate'. And it does not validate my issue whether or not individuals of which-ever gender agree with me on this or not, I am not speaking out on behalf of a gender. I personally feel it is not something I find entertaining and found worth pointing out.

This is not about sexualisation or me being prudish. Of course I want to have sex with whom-ever; but not with them as a prize to my male journey. What I am saying is; 'meeting women along the way' was entertaining (to me) because these women (conceivably) are on their own journey. Having a 'cannot get the girl' story end with the 'now you get the girl, you won' is a specific type of objectified fantasy I feel is boorish.

If it is the way the world works, then we evidently have chosen to live on differing worlds.

I feel incline to underline again that this for me was a minor issue that I found amusingly off-putting. I am not calling for heads to roll. It is just that split second where 'you are a man, you won, here are the women you wanted' came into play that I felt inclined to muse over it in a 'what if we took a feminist approach to this'-manner.

Last edited by JeroenDStout : 01-30-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #49
entropymachine
Frequenter

portfolio
Cristiano Matos
Portugal

I think if it was reversed and the story was about 2 ladies doing the quests and getting men on their horses at the end nobody would complain...at all.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #50
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Really interesting discussion here, I don't find it off topic whatsoever.

I can see where you're all coming from (those bothered by the ending) What I took away from it was the women were what these two guys got into it for. They didn't get along, they were focused only on sex/lust/women. Even at the start of their journey you see that's all they're focused on, at times at the expense of the other.

But by the end their focus shifts, they learn that it isn't about the women, but about finding friendship, their friendship, and at that point they finally "get the girl."

I don't see it as simply what they do or don't get in the end, I see it as what is important to them in the end.

Again I can see both sides to this, but it didn't bother me. I liked the full circle, and I thought the short was playful enough for the ending to be taken more lightly. Especially liked the girls high fiving at the end, since it kinda showed them as a pair of close friends.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #51
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenDStout
If it is the way the world works, then we evidently have chosen to live on differing worlds.

Oh dear how annoying for you.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #52
JeroenDStout
Coppélius at work

portfolio
Jeroen Stout
Independant Game Developer
Stout Games
Netherlands

How rude.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #53
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

I dont think I was being rude. I find your writing style pompous and condescending.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #54
dpendleton
Expert
portfolio
Douglas Pendleton
Washington, US

Send a message via Yahoo to dpendleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by derOesi
sorry this logic doesn't compute for me.....
but it's true, it feels a lot longer than other 10 minute shorts....

HAHAHA. Yeah I felt that it back more punch in nine minutes than some animations do in 22 to 30 minutes.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #55
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Oi guys! I just thought it was a cool piece and wanted to extend congrats to the creators. Not that they would ever see it. It isn't the next high point in animation or a moral commentary on society, just a cool little story that was punchy and delivered for me. You guys just keep upping the ante with crazy comebacks. Relax.

Also watch the film again. At the beginning I only saw the wizard chasing the girls. The warrior looked uh... unemployed or maybe just bored until he saw the hero. That carries through most of the film.

Okay ready... attack.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #56
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188
Really interesting discussion here, I don't find it off topic whatsoever.

I can see where you're all coming from (those bothered by the ending) What I took away from it was the women were what these two guys got into it for. They didn't get along, they were focused only on sex/lust/women. Even at the start of their journey you see that's all they're focused on, at times at the expense of the other.

But by the end their focus shifts, they learn that it isn't about the women, but about finding friendship, their friendship, and at that point they finally "get the girl."

I don't see it as simply what they do or don't get in the end, I see it as what is important to them in the end.

Again I can see both sides to this, but it didn't bother me. I liked the full circle, and I thought the short was playful enough for the ending to be taken more lightly. Especially liked the girls high fiving at the end, since it kinda showed them as a pair of close friends.

I agree. The other aspect of it all is that it is heavily stylized and culturally ambiguous. So in that way.... especially when I say "in-world"... I mean to say that the artists made "a world" that is a bubble versus the one we live in.

There are things in there that correspond to things in our world. But they're not REALLY in our world. So you have to take these things symbolically.

It's like if you have a cyclist... and he thinks about winning the Tour-de-France and picking up a trophy.. So much of the first part of the story is about trophies.... but later he realizes that's not the point of it.

That's actually the same story but it just has more zing with flirtatious women, giant monsters, Chain Lightning, and big sword fights!

That's all it is!

Also it's true that people may find it offensive... You can't win'em all.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 AM   #57
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

If there was an award for most over analysed short ever, this would make it to the final cut and get 1.1:1 bets for winning

After the oh-so-brilliant interpretation key of the reward, I'm waiting for someone to point out that the only thing in the short kicking their arse is a woman, and clearly a motherly figure, and how that sequence is a clear instigation to matricide and denying women the right to vote and drive.

I liked it a lot.
The animation is an interesting mix of Mtv hyper perspective, modern Japanese and, luckily, avoids the super parallax and stick figure hyper kinetic that's so popular.

It's a bit weak in the beginning, almost lost me the first minute in fact, with a few too many jittering tricks, and animation on 4s and 8s in the wrong spots, but it picks up considerably soon into it and, IMO, gets better every sequence.

They used every trick in the book in the right places, and managed to tell a story in 7 minutes that would be hard to put in 20, and felt like it went by in two. If you dissect it you'll see they blended montage, score leads, action, pauses, and pretty much everything else seamlessly. I know way more experienced editors and directors who don't produce something that tight.

It has a good curve for quality, BAM factor and pace too.

As a privileged white male of course I might not have the right chromosome or brain to see this horrible chauvinistic undertones and attack on feminism and womanly achievements, but then all the women around here who saw it apparently failed to be offended too (how dare they?!).

Anyway, I liked it a lot, and if anybody from the team happens to be reading this thread, my sincere congratulations, it's a great piece and would doubtlessly buy into the show if something consistently of this quality was to find its way to mainstream.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #58
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

I really enjoyed it. I saw the message simply as "find yourself and others will find you, too." There were other components of cooperation and compromise, but I don't think it was just about "getting chicks" in the end.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #59
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Music-powered Montage and the "skip jumping/teleporting" (Is that 4's and 8's?) were their most potent weapons in getting it done.

I don't want to talk about the women anymore. It was a big mistake bringing it up. I was just thinking it was a good trope/tool....

That women watched it and didn't think anything of it... you know.. Like I been saying: "it works".

Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #60
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Very nice. But this Wilhelm scream thing has to stop. aaaAaaahg.

OMG I was SO going to do an entire thread about that! That scream is officially RUINING movies for me now. I must admit, I used it too, but I will never do it again I tell you that!

As to film, I wrote about it length on another forum and don't wish to do so again. I can say this, though, Aang, the fact that I have seen it posted on other forums means it will get its due.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

I thought the message was great. They wanted to be like the heroes who get the girl, but there was no magic treasure at the end of the rainbow. The journey strengthened them, and made them into heroes, which they saw in the mirror. That was the reward.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Last edited by teruchan : 01-31-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Thread Closed share thread