Dead Space 3 launch trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01 January 2013   #1
Dead Space 3 launch trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U356b_x0_4U&hd=1


Quoting Tychus Findlay, "It's about time!"


And as a Youtube viewer said: "My two greatest nightmares collide, Phil Collins and Necromorphs."

Last edited by entropymachine : 01 January 2013 at 08:04 PM.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #2
Freakin' epic! cant wait to get back to some necromorph smashing!
 
Old 01 January 2013   #3
LOVED Dead Space 1. It was as close to my perfect game that anyone has ever come.
Dead Space 2 was fun. Kinda the Aliens to Dead Space 1's Alien. Not a masterpiece like the original-but a worthy successor.

But honestly...Dead Space 3 just doesn't have me excited. Co-Op shootery stuff in large outdoor environments.
Well done to them for trying out something else-but I think they are straying too far from the niche they carved themselves. DS3 just looks a little...generic.

That said, I would have loved to see a little more in the trailer. And they made Isaac into a bad ass. Isaac is NOT a bad ass. He is a normal man in an extraordinary situation. He doesn't grab his gun and run into the horde...he carefully peeps around the corner and tries to tiptoe past it.

I'm assuming the head was real and parts of the suit?

I'll wait for RPSs' Wot I Thought, and some reviews before I make up my mind. I generally don't play many games, so the ones I do had better be awesome!
 
Old 01 January 2013   #4
I half-expected the narrator to go:

"Dead Space 3.... featuring the music of Phil Collins..."


For me.. the only Dead Space I ever really liked was "Dead Space: Extraction". It just felt more entertaining for me...I guess because it was more like an interactive movie than "another shooter with ghost-aliens of some kind". I mean it's true there aren't that many, but I had my fill of "Satanism in Space" with Doom III.

Still, I did like Dead Space: Extraction.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01 January 2013 at 12:02 AM.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #5
I thought it was gay.

They used a real person, so gamers will feel more connected to it.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #6
I love deadspace 1 & 2,
but ...3.. is on the ice planet more focus co-op,multiplayer, ...kind of like less horror more action
hm....lets hope they don't out of title

u know , the Ishimura is still haunting me.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #7
Originally Posted by Pyke: LOVED Dead Space 1. It was as close to my perfect game that anyone has ever come.
Dead Space 2 was fun. Kinda the Aliens to Dead Space 1's Alien. Not a masterpiece like the original-but a worthy successor.

But honestly...Dead Space 3 just doesn't have me excited. Co-Op shootery stuff in large outdoor environments.
Well done to them for trying out something else-but I think they are straying too far from the niche they carved themselves. DS3 just looks a little...generic.

That said, I would have loved to see a little more in the trailer. And they made Isaac into a bad ass. Isaac is NOT a bad ass. He is a normal man in an extraordinary situation. He doesn't grab his gun and run into the horde...he carefully peeps around the corner and tries to tiptoe past it.

I'm assuming the head was real and parts of the suit?

I'll wait for RPSs' Wot I Thought, and some reviews before I make up my mind. I generally don't play many games, so the ones I do had better be awesome!



I agree %100. DS1 was perfection, the setting was so amazing. DS2 didn't impress me anywhere near as much, In fact my favorite level in DS2 is when you go back to Ishumura.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #8
Originally Posted by kokwey57: I love deadspace 1 & 2,
but ...3.. is on the ice planet more focus co-op,multiplayer, ...kind of like less horror more action
hm....lets hope they don't out of title

u know , the Ishimura is still haunting me.


Horror vs Action? To each his own.

I was SO happy when Resident Evil shifted to action. I easily put Resident Evil 5 and 6 as the best games in that series and I never liked Part 1 and barely could stand any of those titles until RE4 "improved" the direction of the gameplay.

If DS3 is more action... I'm happy. I know that "It's supposed to be horror!" is valid criticism either for DS or RE... But I'm just not a horror guy.

__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 01 January 2013   #9
Oh look, more weightless game animation. Enjoyed the heck out of DS1 but didn't even bother with the sequels.
__________________
TheJoshBlog - Flickr - Twitter - Tumblr
 
Old 01 January 2013   #10
Originally Posted by goodshoes: I thought it was gay.


I didn't think it looked happy at all. Perhaps we watched a different trailer?


Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Horror vs Action? To each his own.

I was SO happy when Resident Evil shifted to action. I easily put Resident Evil 5 and 6 as the best games in that series and I never liked Part 1 and barely could stand any of those titles until RE4 "improved" the direction of the gameplay.

If DS3 is more action... I'm happy. I know that "It's supposed to be horror!" is valid criticism either for DS or RE... But I'm just not a horror guy.



But Dead Space is a survival horror franchise. All of the movies, books, and extended games are horror based. It's like Call Of Duty suddenly becoming a sandbox RPG.
There are hundreds of action games out there. There is a much smaller % of survival horrors.

Now DS is competing with Gears Of War and COD, when they were in a much better position in sticking with horror.

If they wanted to try out the action aspects, they could have done it with one of the smaller 'mid release' games (extraction, the iPad Dead Space, Severed, etc), but the core trilogy should be freaking Survival Horror!

Honestly, I would have preferred if it went the route of Amnesia, a game so scary I actually stopped playing it. Now Amnesia mechanics with a Dead Space budget...that would be something!
 
Old 01 January 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Pyke: But Dead Space is a survival horror franchise. All of the movies, books, and extended games are horror based. It's like Call Of Duty suddenly becoming a sandbox RPG.
There are hundreds of action games out there. There is a much smaller % of survival horrors.

Now DS is competing with Gears Of War and COD, when they were in a much better position in sticking with horror.

If they wanted to try out the action aspects, they could have done it with one of the smaller 'mid release' games (extraction, the iPad Dead Space, Severed, etc), but the core trilogy should be freaking Survival Horror!

Honestly, I would have preferred if it went the route of Amnesia, a game so scary I actually stopped playing it. Now Amnesia mechanics with a Dead Space budget...that would be something!


Again, like I said.. saying it should be Horror is properly valid.
I will even go as far as saying that my love for RE5 and RE6 is misplaced completely.

I'm the "wrong fan".

All I'm saying is I would have never come to like RE at all if it wasn't for 4, 5, and 6.
I know there are many pure action games out there. But I felt the latter RE games helped sate a fascination with "fake horror".. Horror that actually is a shooting gallery.

I think Capcom once described the new horror formula as "Power fantasy"... You have power over the horror and that's supposed to be fun.

So in that way.. there aren't many games in that way.

But yes.. Again.. I am the "wrong fan" (among a group of wrong fans) for RE4, RE5, RE6 and quite possibly Dead Space 3.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 01 January 2013   #12
Oh yeah-I'm not saying you are wrong at all! The developers are obviously trying to broaden their fan base, specifically creating a game for 'the wrong fan'.

I just feel like they have left their core audience and fan base in the shadows.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #13
Originally Posted by goodshoes: I thought it was gay.

They used a real person, so gamers will feel more connected to it.

If you meant gay as in happy, it's hard for the DS franchise to be.
If you implied the game had an undertone, or maybe even an explicit tone, of homosexuality, I don't think you can make that call when only one person of each/either sex is portrayed in any given shot for the whole trailer.

I loved the first DS, it was the return of Alone in the Dark AFAIC (Screw you Resident Evil, you DID NOT Invent the survival horror genre!).
Two was ok, but I'm very much with Pyke and his spot on call of DS1 = Alien, DS2 = Aliens.

DS3, well, at this point it's become a franchise where you keep the art direction and the names of the baddies, it couldn't be a desperate one-man survival even if it wanted to I guess. Rgearding Isaac being a bit too badass, well, I can cope with that. After all the shit he's been through I can take it in stride that he developed some testosterone and aggression issues.

I'm still gonna give it a chance, it's a franchise with great art direction and a fun play system, and I'm a sucker for 3rd person action, so I reckon I could still enjoy it even if it became a bit more of an Uncharted in space. I don't expect another DS1 to happen any time soon, games that branch into something fresh are understandably rare on a set of consoles that's seen seven years of releases relying on the same tech, controls and player base, they tend to be more prominent in the first half of a console's life than in the second with today's race to pumping production value into sure-fire brands/names.
__________________
Come, Join the Cult http://www.cultofrig.com - Rigging from First Principles
 
Old 01 January 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Pyke: Oh yeah-I'm not saying you are wrong at all! The developers are obviously trying to broaden their fan base, specifically creating a game for 'the wrong fan'.

I just feel like they have left their core audience and fan base in the shadows.


I feel your sadness... but it is in stark contrast to my glee whenever I jump into my RE5 save and take a gander at my huge arsenal of weapons large enough to start a war in a 3rd world country.

But it is true that they are letting you down. In the same way, I think that the search for revenue has not only led them to using a more "universal" action game formula, but also this recent trend of "In-Game Purchases" where you need to go online and use real money to buy the best bits for your in-game character.

This used to be just an MMO problem, but I understand DS3 (and Diablo 3 before it) is doing in-game purchases too. It's the new version of "Pay to Win".
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
Old 01 January 2013   #15
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I feel your sadness... but it is in stark contrast to my glee whenever I jump into my RE5 save and take a gander at my huge arsenal of weapons large enough to start a war in a 3rd world country.


Enter the opposite of what a Survival Horror game is about!
I heard they introduced universal ammo, and that pretty much killed it for me.

I still remember having 15 bullets left in my machine gun, and 3 left in my line cutter...and having to creep and stalk around the revisited Ishimura in Dead Space 2. Something jumped at me, and I emptied and entire clip...on a box that fell. THAT tension only comes from having severely limited resources-a staple of Survival Horror (if you aren't going whole hog, and taking away all weapons).

Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: In the same way, I think that the search for revenue has not only led them to using a more "universal" action game formula, but also this recent trend of "In-Game Purchases" where you need to go online and use real money to buy the best bits for your in-game character.


It has In game purchases? WTF? I don't even play free iPad games that rely on in-app purchases. From this, to hearing that its a direct console port to PC...I honestly feel completely let down.

This is how much of a Dead Space fan I am:







Its strange, I feel a strange kinship with this IP. It really has influenced me and my work probably as much as Star Wars and Alien. This is just killing me.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.