scruffy
hugim
haifa, Israel

Red face career path in cg

first thing first
*if this is not the right forum on the site please move it instead of deleting
*english is not my mother language

im 17 years old and lately im thinking about my future career

i really like digital art and i know that this is what i want to do in thew future

ive been pondering between varios career paths and thinking on what should i focus

im pondering between those paths

1-graphic designer (focusing on photoshop/illustrator/indesign)

2-concept artist (focusing on drawing/phtoshop/iilustrator)

3-3d artist (focusing on zbrush/maya)

i have some questions and i hope that you can give me some answers

1-what do you see as the hardest path to go? (not a major factor)

2-what field has the most demand on the market?

3-what job has the best sallary (an ugly question and also not a major factor)

4-any recommendations that you have in learning a software? (how to start learning)

5- if you can give me some advices?

6-what path do YOU see as the one that you can make the most fun of?

7-what path Requires the least drawing skilles? and is it crucial to have those skills?

thank you for you attention and i hope that you can answer my questions

*again sorry for my bad english

Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
shrunkendesigner
Frequenter

portfolio
Lloyd Harvey
Freelance Concept Artist
Billericay, United Kingdom

Non are easy and take a long time to get into. What you should do is start playing with the software packages, do tutorials and do some drawing and see what you enjoy doing the most.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Pepster3D
Frequenter
portfolio
Darlene Ollerenshaw
Senior CGI Artist
Mercedes-Benz USA
Livingston, USA

Send a message via AIM to Pepster3D
Unfortunately, we can't answer a lot of these questions for you since you need to decide which one of these fields you would enjoy most. Maybe you need to do a little bit of each at first to see which you like best? Do you enjoy more technical things or do you enjoy things like painting and drawing?

As for the drawing skills, it's so important to be a good artists first and learn the fundamentals (i.e. color theory, drawing, painting, sculpture, life drawing, anatomy, lighting, perspective, photography, etc.) before jumping into anything on the computer. I have found that people with more thorough fundamental art skills have a better visual eye. Remember that the software is just a tool. I think a lot of schools jump right into the computer now but without the good artistic senses, your work will be missing something.

As for learning, the internet is full of tutorials, plus there's places like digitaltutors.com and a million others.

It will take many years probably before you find what you really want to do but if you dabble in a few things that will help you to narrow it down. For me, I had to work for almost 13 years before I fell into my niche and chose a specialty.

I can't really answer some of the other questions, but good luck and have fun! You are lucky to be so young and have all these paths ahead of you.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

1-what do you see as the hardest path to go? (not a major factor)

- theyre all "hard" and all 3 require imagination and execution under time constraints

2-what field has the most demand on the market?

- this is a cycle. you could go to school for a medical position now thats in short supply and by the time you get out of school in 4 years, it will be over-supplied and you cant find a job. Look at what is possibly in demand 5 years into the future, not whats in demand now.

3-what job has the best salary (an ugly question and also not a major factor)

- all 3 can have identical paying salaries and too many things can factor in; a predominant one for example being location. You'll get paid more in New York than say a secondary city, but your rent may also be double. A lot of random factors, like i said.

4-any recommendations that you have in learning a software? (how to start learning)

- video tutorials to supplement a school program, i was never a fan of books as a primary source of learning because of my impatient style of going forward with lessons, BUT the books can be reference gold and you need to keep some around, even if you've been working for a while.

5- if you can give me some advices?

- read through this forum, search topics if you need specific questions answered, many already have been

6-what path do YOU see as the one that you can make the most fun of?

- its work, not a hobby. It can be as fun or frustrating as you let it become. Think of a doctor's job. He likes doing it. How much fun can he have doing it? Same thing applies. It comes down to you as a person.

7-what path Requires the least drawing skilles? and is it crucial to have those skills?

- 3D artist > graphic designer > concept artist

People who learned to draw, even if they cant now, see things on a different level and their perception tends to be wider than those who just learned a program and have a specific, but limited, set of knowledge.

Forget about being a concept artist if you cant or dont want to learn to draw. Graphic designers are a bit of a 50-50 deal. 3D artists heavily benefit from understanding volumetric shapes prior to going into sculpting but they dont deal with drawing as much (save for texturing artists, which is a paint heavy job)

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread