[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Digital Arts: 9 things they never taught you at VFX school :

We ask leading VFX supervisors and artists, animators and directors to tell us the most important things they’ve learned in their careers. What they say may surprise you.

Read more: http://digitalartsonline.co.uk/features/motion-graphics/9-things-they-never-taught-you-at-vfx-school/#ixzz2J1KToP00
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

Im sure you could add another 0 to that 9 and still have things to talk about that you never heard of in school. Teamwork is either the easiest thing you'll get, or the hardest. Everything else, generally, you can find a tutorial on.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

First is so right. New people are always full of new ideas to make things better which are always horrible and fuck things up for everyone.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Since about half of these are "learn to work with a team," it's more like 5 things they never taught you in school.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Since about half of these are "learn to work with a team," it's more like 5 things they never taught you in school.

Exactly, it was pretty lame, surprised they didn't have... learn to make good coffee

Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
LukeLetellier
Work in Progress

portfolio
Luke Letellier
Portland, Maine, USA

I think they were using the phrase "learning teamwork" as code for "learning to work with different personalities" - which are two different things.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot

Funny how many talented people I have seen in my career that dont get that.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
I may not have a lot of experience but at the top of my notebook at meetings I always have the phrase: "Directorship is not a Dictatorship." and I remind everyone that the reason each of us is in credits is because each of us has some part of what is in each frame of the picture.

It's interesting these people note how schools don't teach teamwork. My only education really has been observing VFX films come together "in the market". So in some way I have it backwards and I don't know of any other way of putting films together.

I could have learned how to be a one-man band, but I shunned it from day one.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
Hooch
Back 2 Basics

portfolio
Miguel Chajtur
Freelancer
Santiago, Chile

Send a message via MSN to Hooch
How about "Learn how to tell your wife and kids you're gonna spend the whole weekend in front of your computer" Again!

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #10
entropymachine
PRO

portfolio
Cristiano Matos
Canada

Not a lot of VFX related info, mostly just basic human relations advice that apply to every work area. I do understand the frequency of that advice though, a room full of artists sometimes can be prone to a clash of egos more easily than, i.e. an accounting office.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #11
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropymachine
Not a lot of VFX related info, mostly just basic human relations advice that apply to every work area. I do understand the frequency of that advice though, a room full of artists sometimes can be prone to a clash of egos more easily than, i.e. an accounting office.

Oh, you dont know how wrong you are with that statement. A room full of big ego artists is mild popcorn entertainment compared to some clash of the titan spectacles I've seen. When you're dealing with amounts of money going into the double digit billions of dollars instead of frames per second, there tends to be a little more on the line, though not at a lowly accountant level.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Quote:

I don't know Entrophy... my experience working in a studio full of artist had been very pleasant. It's the stories I heard from friends working in actual corporate that scared the hell out of me. The kind of stories I thought only happened in cheap drama show or books, never imagined they'd be real.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

good article, but i think these are transferable to nearly any job in any industry. just take the jargon and cross pollinate...

Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

It's funny how people always say 'don't be an arrogant or egotistical dick' and yet, while I've been fortunate to not encounter very many egomaniacs over the course of my career, at my last gig there was one guy who was the epitome of this. He was basically the ultimate embodiment of a bad Parisian stereotype - almost everyone sitting on the same floor as him disliked him, and unsurprisingly too, as he'd swan about the place like he owned it, letting doors shut in people's faces if they were walking behind him, having loud speakerphone calls at his desk for no apparent reason, taking all the bananas from the fruit bowl in the morning (may sound trivial but the bananas were the most prized fruit and taking all of them instead of just one is selfish and arrogant), and basically just behaving in an unacceptable manner. I've never seen one single person inspire so much hatred amongst their peers in a studio before. I know that many complaints were made about him to production over the course of the show.

And yet he was promoted to CG supervisor.

It seems that while artists may dislike this kind of asshole, their arrogant, alpha behaviour can actually endear them to certain management types who like their ruthless, aggressive approach to things.

I guess it's that old chestnut of "nice guys finish last" in action.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:

I don't really think that's true actually. Despite my post above, I think huge egos are not that common in our field. There's one department at studios that do tend to have a few egos floating around (I won't say which), but even then, I'd say those big egos are a minority. The overwhelming majority of people I've worked with over the years have been totally ordinary, normal, nice people.

On the other hand, most of my friends work in other fields and the stories I hear of personality clashes, egos, backstabbing and office bitchiness from my friends' office jobs is pretty horrifying. I think it might be due to the fact that in VFX where I work, most people seem to share similar interests somehow and so they get along well, whereas in other office jobs, you tend to get a mishmash of people with wildly varying interests who may share little in common resulting in more friction. But this is a pretty wild generalisation, so I really can't be sure of how true it may be.

Thread Closed share thread