J.J. Abrams To Direct New ‘Star Wars’ Movie For Disney

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #61
Originally Posted by kelgy: Better Abrams than Nolan.

He dumbed down Star Trek because he wanted it to be like Star Wars--now he can work with the genuine article.

I actually agree with this the most. He took out the cerebral science portion that's fine for Trekkie nerds that will watch 24 shows in a row over a weekend and spiced it up to a space opera ala Star Wars.

Ok, I'll throw a director hat into the ring. Ingmar Bergman. We can have an emotionally broken jedi who monologues on his woes for 15 minutes and then the audience can cut themselves afterwards. Ok, Bergman is dead but that will add even more drama to the movie!

Last edited by MrPositive : 01 January 2013 at 04:02 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #62
Originally Posted by Stankluv: As to the people that are unhappy about this; to me, it just feels like trolling. The Onion nailed the haters.
http://www.theonion.com/video/trekk...atchable,14333/

Ha! That's perfect.

Originally Posted by entropymachine: I've enjoyed some of his work, facepalmed like the rest of the world at the end of Lost...

I wouldn't say that's Abrams' fault, unless you blame him for leaving the show years earlier--despite the "executive producer" title, it looks like he had limited-to-minimal involvement in the later seasons. Most notably:

Quote: At the 2009 Hawaii International Film Festival, Lindelof stated that Abrams watches Lost as a fan, seeing the episodes for the first time as they air, and has "expressed an interest and curiosity in how the show is going to end."[6]... Abrams will not be involved with Season 6, as he thinks that Damon and Carlton themselves should finish what they have been doing with the show.

The only shows of his I've watched are Alias and Lost; I loved both in their first seasons then lost interest and quit watching later on, and it doesn't surprise me that their declines coincided with Abrams handing them off to others.

While I haven't seen his recent TV work (and it seems like the reception hasn't all been great), I did really enjoy Mission Impossible 3, Super 8, and Star Trek, and I'm excited for Episode VII.

Old 01 January 2013   #63
It's officially official now, for what it's worth -

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-...pisode-vii.html

I guess at the end of the day my issue with him is that he's become the default guy for this sort of stuff, and no one else gets a chance. But he did make Trek way more like Star Wars than Star Wars itself has been in a while.

I just hope he can dial back some of his "personal trademarks" and let Star Wars breathe. It needs a beginning, middle, AND ending, even if it's just part 1 of 3.

Old 01 January 2013   #64
At the end of the day, does the industry really need to drag out another three episodes of Star Wars? Are they so starved for material and so driven by money, that the sequel|prequel|franchise setup is the only bet the big studios are willing to make.

We're force fed garbage like Transformers and we're expected to marvel at comic book adaptations like The Avengers, films that in all honesty might provide some good entertainment, but they don't fill the giant void that exists in the Sci Fi genre.

It saddens me that the only truly well paced intelligent Science Fiction movie in the past 35 years that was done long before all the technological advancements we have today, was Blade Runner. Sure I love Alien, 2001, Contact and lesser intelligent films like The Thing and Robocop. But nothing comes close to Blade Runner for setting the tone and mood of the future. I want to be seduced and drawn into a world like that again, slowly introduced to a concept and given enough time to digest it, without explosions and action. Yet in all these years, nothing has come close to this style and perhaps given the nature of the movie industry, nothing ever will.

Old 01 January 2013   #65
With JJ official... I'm super excited!

Can't friggin wait!

Old 01 January 2013   #66
Until I see the trailer and read reviews, here's my official reaction:

Old 01 January 2013   #67

Well Dennis Murren seems to validate the choice of JJ ...

"J.J. I think he's going to fit into the other movies perfectly, with the energy that J.J. has. We're kick-starting Star Wars again with dynamite."

What about you as VFX supervisor Dennis ? That would be so coool ...

Old 01 January 2013   #68
Why is everyone so enamored with Empire? Does everything have to be dark and gritty these days? I don't want to see Star Wars become Dredd. (Not that I didn't like that movie) I would be happy to see something more fun! Make it like Jedi!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 01 January 2013   #69
Originally Posted by SebKaine: We're kick-starting Star Wars again with dynamite.

I admit, I giggled at the thought of a SW Kickstarter....

Old 01 January 2013   #70
>>Selfish Cry baby Alert<<

Sorry Mates but I have lost interest in ANY more SW films Set In the Obiwan Darth/Anakin C3PO etc Era

I want to see Knights of the old republic as told in the Darkhorse Comic book series.

Anything else is just an old Retreaded Wheel with more lens flares IMHO.

Cheers

Old 01 January 2013   #71
And I would even prefer to see no more Jedi at all. In the classic trilogy a Jedi was something special, and Luke striving to become one was an interesting motivation. In the prequels there were Jedi everywhere, and I seriously can't stand any more lightsaber fights or force power battles at all.

Old 01 January 2013   #72
Originally Posted by Laserschwert: And I would even prefer to see no more Jedi at all. In the classic trilogy a Jedi was something special, and Luke striving to become one was an interesting motivation. In the prequels there were Jedi everywhere, and I seriously can't stand any more lightsaber fights or force power battles at all.

I actually agree with this, to an extent. I think there still needs to be a Jedi presence, but as the central plot point? Nah.

Old 01 January 2013   #73
In my opinion SW was kind of ruined by the last 3 films. I think whatever comes next will be very successful; never quite surpassing the originals in terms of societal impact or being true to the original vibe, but will make great summer blockbusters. Like Star Trek. Or the Avengers.

I have the same issues with JJ as others have posted here, but I believe at the very least he will deliver a solid and entertaining film. Michael Arndt is writing the screenplay with Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote Empire) overseeing his work. There is an overall effort to get it right this time.

We've come to the point where SW can only get better. And I'm satisfied with that.

Old 01 January 2013   #74
I'm just a casual fan of both franchise. I've seen most of the Star Trek movies on Sci-fi Channel and all the Starwars movie. I don't mind the new Stark Trek and I even enjoy the 1st reboot, although I can't say the same for Starwars. The Starwars feels like its just dragging on and on with the prequel and in-between prequels and sequels, especially those cartoon spin-offs.

Old 01 January 2013   #75
Originally Posted by patfour:
The only shows of his I've watched are Alias and Lost; I loved both in their first seasons then lost interest and quit watching later on, and it doesn't surprise me that their declines coincided with Abrams handing them off to others.

Did he leave Fringe at some point? Because halfway through season 3 I just gave up on it.

As for SW, jedi are the main thing I love about it, so maybe that's why I like the prequels. Has it been stated that this one will take place in the Obi Wan Annakin C3po time frame?

I say bring back Mark Hamill, give him big beard and some long robes and have him training the new hero.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Thread Closed share thread