J.J. Abrams To Direct New ‘Star Wars’ Movie For Disney

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Well even if Nolan is really a Ligue 1 player, i'm not sure he will be a good match for E7. A good SW like E5 is a perfect balance beetween Epic/Dark/Glamour/Fun ... I'm not sure nolan will be good to catch the fun ! Every body love Han Solo because he is goddam cool, in this regards Tarantino , would be great for the fun, but will fail in the epic part ! Brad Bird is i think a good match in all categories but he doesn't have so much experience on the live action side ... Guillermo del Toro / Alfonso Cuaron would be both good player to shoot a SW !

Verhoeven with the good producers could be able to deliver a master piece (but i'm not very objective ... )
- he know how to direct epic action scene with tons of fx
- he know a lot about fun
- he know a lot about glamour ... ( well maybe too much for disney )
- he know a lot about dark (again maybe too much for disney !)
it's not by chance if spielberg after seing soldier of orange think about him for E6 (before they pick Richard Marquand ...)

Last edited by SebKaine : 01 January 2013 at 05:50 PM.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by evolucian: Its Disney. They have 50 executives for every 1 artist they hire. He'll be lucky if he gets to choose his own lunch. I hope im wrong though.

I think one of the best things about choosing Abrams is that he will be able to push back against the studio/George/Kathleen when necessary. I don't think a less experienced director or established auteur would be able to do that. He's got decent storytelling skills and has proven he can handle big budget sci-fi. The more I think about the better the idea sounds. What his movies lack, though, is gravitas. I hope the screenplay can make up for this.

Oh, and Nolan can't direct or edit action scenes to save his life. And never in a million years would Disney ever trust SW to a loose canon like Verhoeven.

And to the people who feel the need to hate on the whole SW thing or moan about another SW thread here, just step away from the keyboard. No one is forcing you to comment on or watch the movie. You contribute nothing.

01 January 2013
Here's a question:
Who will score it? John Williams or Michael Giacchino (sp?)?

01 January 2013
Better Abrams than Nolan.

He dumbed down Star Trek because he wanted it to be like Star Wars--now he can work with the genuine article.

01 January 2013
Abrams getting Star Wars AND Star Trek? Seems like a bit too much double dipping to me. Kind of hope he brings a different style to SW than he's been doing with ST. But I am excited for the new Trek...visually I thought they were pretty sweet for a new generation. We'll see what happens I guess!

Edit: Also, even though I do love the Nolan Batman movies, his style would stink as a Star Wars movie...it just doesn't jive with the world of Star Wars. I think it'd be way too depressing and too introspective and not grand enough.

Last edited by japetus : 01 January 2013 at 07:04 PM.

01 January 2013
I have the feeling that JJ Abrams will make a royal mess of Star Wars, just as his Star Trek reboot didn't feel "trekkie enough" for my taste at all.

They should have given Star Wars to a better director, like David Fincher perhaps.

Too bad. RIP Star Wars...

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by japetus: Abrams getting Star Wars AND Star Trek? Seems like a bit too much double dipping to me. Kind of hope he brings a different style to SW than he's been doing with ST. But I am excited for the new Trek...visually I thought they were pretty sweet for a new generation. We'll see what happens I guess!

Edit: Also, even though I do love the Nolan Batman movies, his style would stink as a Star Wars movie...it just doesn't jive with the world of Star Wars. I think it'd be way too depressing and too introspective and not grand enough.

Let JJ have STAR WARS, have someone else come in and do TREK.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by cojam: jj wont rock the boat.

Originally Posted by Pyke: I don't know...

Rock the boat, as in... he'll do exactly what Disney tell him to do, as will the screenwriter.

01 January 2013
I don't think Nolan ever would have done it, or would have been considered. Inception 2 please.

As far as wrecking Star Wars goes...If you went back in time to 1998, as we were starting to get bits of info about Episode I and you could feel the mania building; and told people that in 10 years a new Star Wars movie, done with computer animation, opened up in 3rd place in the US Box Office; any Star Wars fan, or biz interested person at the time would be left to ponder if the world was like Mad Max or something horrible had happened to the human race.

People would literally think you were crazy, but it happened. No one cares about the details that they just strung together 3-4 episodes of a TV show and put it in the theaters, A Feature Length Star Wars Movie! opened up in 3rd place at the domestic box office in the summer of 2008.

Anyone saying that the future is bleak or down for Star Wars is just mathematically wrong and logically false. No one cares if you don't see it.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by DePaint: I have the feeling that JJ Abrams will make a royal mess of Star Wars, just as his Star Trek reboot didn't feel "trekkie enough" for my taste at all.

They should have given Star Wars to a better director, like David Fincher perhaps.

Fincher...really? Do you REALLY think he'd make a good Star Wars? Don't you think Fincher would make a better thriller? Or maybe they should let him take a shot at the Alien universe again, he and Ridley can work on the next Prometheus film together. Why don't they just give Star Wars to David Lynch! Just kidding...Another interesting option would be if they gave Neil Blomkamp a try at SW...

All these naming of directors has me wondering, do people want a different "style" completely? If we think of the originals as having a certain style and tone, and the prequels having a similar but still different style and tone, are people wanting something completely different than the established tone? I mean Fincher would make it creepy, uncomfortable, and oh-so-yellow.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by japetus: Fincher...really? Do you REALLY think he'd make a good Star Wars? Don't you think Fincher would make a better thriller? Or maybe they should let him take a shot at the Alien universe again, he and Ridley can work on the next Prometheus film together. Why don't they just give Star Wars to David Lynch! Just kidding...Another interesting option would be if they gave Neil Blomkamp a try at SW...

All these naming of directors has me wondering, do people want a different "style" completely? If we think of the originals as having a certain style and tone, and the prequels having a similar but still different style and tone, are people wanting something completely different than the established tone? I mean Fincher would make it creepy, uncomfortable, and oh-so-yellow.

Enough of this! Just hire Lars von Trier and be done with it! The entire movie could take place at a Jedi Council dinner party.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by DePaint: I have the feeling that JJ Abrams will make a royal mess of Star Wars, just as his Star Trek reboot didn't feel "trekkie enough" for my taste at all.

A bit late to that party are we not? Meesa thinks so!

01 January 2013
Why not Michael Haneke...?
At one point Jar Jar Binks will turn towards the camera and ask the audience why they haven't walked out yet...

I am somewhat tired of Star Wars by now.

-k

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Stankluv: I don't think Nolan ever would have done it, or would have been considered. Inception 2 please.

As far as wrecking Star Wars goes...If you went back in time to 1998, as we were starting to get bits of info about Episode I and you could feel the mania building; and told people that in 10 years a new Star Wars movie, done with computer animation, opened up in 3rd place in the US Box Office; any Star Wars fan, or biz interested person at the time would be left to ponder if the world was like Mad Max or something horrible had happened to the human race.

People would literally think you were crazy, but it happened. No one cares about the details that they just strung together 3-4 episodes of a TV show and put it in the theaters, A Feature Length Star Wars Movie! opened up in 3rd place at the domestic box office in the summer of 2008.

Anyone saying that the future is bleak or down for Star Wars is just mathematically wrong and logically false. No one cares if you don't see it.

Agreed with why Nolan or Verhoeven would be a poor fit. They are good, just not a good fit.

But not sure what you were driving at with remarks about "The Clone Wars" coming in 3rd place back in 2008. The "feature" wasn't a real full length feature (although I know from meeting people who worked on that film and series that it was definitely the aspiration) it wasn't marketed as much as any of the live action Star Wars films, and there was considerable "shock risk" in the new look of the characters.

I was around a bunch of other fans when the publicity started, and their first remark was "Why doesn't it even look as realistic as the Old Republic games or the trailers for those games?" So in that way, the chances of this thing were never going to be identical to any of the live action films. In the minds of fans, they felt ILM should have completely outdone Digic or Blur and their Star Wars output was supposed to put the opening CG for The Old Republic to shame. Some know even less and assumed ILM had done all those game trailers and "didn't bring their A-game to this show".

You can say fans aren't very educated. But I think Lucasfilm anticipated that risk and didn't push The Clone Wars too hard. It was pushed just like the Airwolf "movie"... just to launch a TV pilot.

Finally you have to note that the August 15 - 17 weekend of 2008 was the same weekend where "The Dark Knight" was in only its 5th weekend (it was No.2 this weekend and was on the way to No. 2 all-time) and was also the opening of the heavily hyped, much anticipated "Tropic Thunder" (RDJ + Ben Stiller + Tom Cruise in a war comedy)... So those elements have a factor too. No one was going to do better that weekend. The Clone Wars came in "best of the rest".

In contrast? The poster launch alone for Episode VII will probably cause the Star Wars dot com web server to crash. The anticipation for those is different.

So.. I don't understand this concept of "wrecking in 10 years".....There was a drive at Lucasfilm towards smaller scale TV productions with "big output value" and The Clone Wars was the product of one of those programs. It was never really comparable to the "real" Star Wars film projects.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01 January 2013 at 12:55 AM.

01 January 2013
Nolan's action scenes are uninspired, workmanlike and boring--and Star Wars sinks or fails on its action (and musical score). His dialogue writing is strange too-characters give plot action through spoken words and dont show much personality. Verhoeven and directors of his generation (except Lucas) left the screenplay to professional writers usually.
Bryan Singer might have been a more competent choice than Abrams but at this point I dont really care. Hard to imagine it being a worse experience than the prequels-that seems impossible.Or almost.

But it might mean Star Trek is now left to Orci and Kurtzman.

Thread Closed share thread