J.J. Abrams To Direct New ‘Star Wars’ Movie For Disney

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #31
Originally Posted by Artbot: Not to burst your bubble, but this sounds like what will be the exact opposite of Disney's marketing plans. I think they can probably look forward to breaking all opening weekend box office records with about a half-billion in receipts in 3 days if the thing is even halfway decent.

"The Phantom Menace"

Actually I would excuse them if they made the Stars Wars franchise as entertaining pop-corn chomping as possible filled with Greek (err I mean Jedi) mythology. I always think that is what Star Wars is about.

You either love Stars Wars or Blade Runner. You can't love both, right?

Jules

Old 01 January 2013   #32
I'm not a huge fan of J.J, and find it kinda funny that he's being considered by some as the next Spielberg. That being said, they could have done much MUCH worse.

Old 01 January 2013   #33
I was more surprised originally that he didn't want to do it.

I'm not surprised at all by this. Good choice.

Old 01 January 2013   #34
This would be an amazing grab. Absolutely loved the Star Trek reboot and Super 8. Abrams was my #3 only behind Brad Bird who for the life of me I cannot believe he didn't do it and then Joss Whedon. My only knock on Abrams at all is he is also doing Star Trek and I really wonder how he makes these visually different. Other than that, the guy has shown ridiculous chops in the fantasy space opera department.

Last edited by MrPositive : 01 January 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #35
I was kind of hoping for an oddball pick, like some of the Marvel directorial decisions, but I think Mr. Abrams will do fine. I am most disappointed by the decreased chance of a concise, book ended JJ-Trek trilogy.

As to the people that are unhappy about this; to me, it just feels like trolling. The Onion nailed the haters.

http://www.theonion.com/video/trekk...atchable,14333/

Old 01 January 2013   #36
while i don't like so Much JJ movies, i really have no idea of who would be the perfect new director for E7. in the 90'ies i would have say Spielberg easily but now ... its not a bad news to inject new young blood in the franchise. In the 80ies Paul Verhoeven was approach by spielberg to direct Star Wars E6 after seing speeters he change his mind ! While it would have been a great choice for me ... i'm not sure Verhoeven would fit as a Good disney Director ! (even if starship troopers is in part a disney production ...) . Alfonso Cuaron would be my favorite, cause he know VFX he know how to direct actor , and he like to make good movies ... in this regards HP and the prisoners of Azkaban is excellent

But JJ with a good producer ? its not that bad at the end , it could have be Len Wiseman or Paul WS Anderson ... so we are pretty lucky

Come on JJ lets put some lensflare on the Show !

Last edited by SebKaine : 01 January 2013 at 08:38 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #37
A good call by disney, jj wont rock the boat. like someone said, the films have no replay value, ie the force is not with this one.

But i couldn't care less about star wars anymore, it has been milked to death by lucas over the years and is to me boring and old.

I wanna see something new.

Old 01 January 2013   #38
Originally Posted by cojam: jj wont rock the boat.

I don't know...he did completely reinvigorate Star Trek, pushing into a COMPLETELY new direction.
Hell, he blew up Vulcan, a planet and civilization that has influence throughout the entire Star Trek universe. It would be like him altering history, and having the Empire test the Death Star on Tatooine before Luke left it.

Personally Im looking forward to seeing what JJ does with this.

Old 01 January 2013   #39
Will the cantinas on Tattooine now offer Slusho?

Old 01 January 2013   #40
I would love to see an Abrams take on SW. Think about it. He took everything that make ST great and combined it with a fast, fun and energetic film, that was largely loved by everyone.

He knew that you couldn't force the ST TV show format into 2 hours like the previous films had. I really think that he could do the same for SW. He'd take all the great bits and wrap them in great film making. You know, completely opposite what Lucas did! lol.

Old 01 January 2013   #41
JJ Abrams is massively overrated and he wouldn't be a match for Star Wars imho.
There was a joke on Gizmodo's comment section yesterday that Christopher Nolan should do it, except I didn't think it was funny, I thought it was spot on. Of course I realize that Disney would probably never allow this to happen. But I can only imagine at the kind of world Nolan would create, I'm certain it would be something to behold.

Old 01 January 2013   #42
Originally Posted by Pyke: I don't know...he did completely reinvigorate Star Trek, pushing into a COMPLETELY new direction.
Hell, he blew up Vulcan, a planet and civilization that has influence throughout the entire Star Trek universe. It would be like him altering history, and having the Empire test the Death Star on Tatooine before Luke left it.

Personally Im looking forward to seeing what JJ does with this.

Its Disney. They have 50 executives for every 1 artist they hire. He'll be lucky if he gets to choose his own lunch. I hope im wrong though.

Old 01 January 2013   #43
Originally Posted by ThePriest: JJ Abrams is massively overrated and he wouldn't be a match for Star Wars imho.
There was a joke on Gizmodo's comment section yesterday that Christopher Nolan should do it, except I didn't think it was funny, I thought it was spot on. Of course I realize that Disney would probably never allow this to happen. But I can only imagine at the kind of world Nolan would create, I'm certain it would be something to behold.

I completely disagree with you. I don't think Nolan would know what to do with SW. I mean, look at the horror show that Batman turned in to. He does not know how to direct action, or a large cast of characters. Nor does he know how to manage existing lore. Nolan is more about the introspective and the slow burn.

Old 01 January 2013   #44
Again a 'star wars' discussion...:|

Old 01 January 2013   #45
While he's at it, could he release his own cut of Episodes 1-3? I wouldn't mind him covering up Jar Jar, the kid, and all the abysmal 'romance' scenes with lense flares. My eyes would prefer staring into the sun anways...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LENSEFLARES2.jpg (19.1 KB, 126 views)

Thread Closed share thread