J.J. Abrams To Direct New ‘Star Wars’ Movie For Disney

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
I worry more about Disney than JJ...

01 January 2013
So now the ILM pun makes sense (its actually in the movie)

Set lightsabers to stun!

Originally Posted by Artbot: The only director worth a damn to this franchise (I.K.) died 2 years ago. And even his career was spotty at best. Besides, recruiting people who worked on the other films could only be a detriment at this point (except for ILM).

I guess you're right, i just thought that in such a huge franchise with books, comics, animation etc there could be talented guys passionate about it to ensure it will be worthy of the cult around SW, so it doesn't seem just like a pure "popularity" decision. At least i hope they keep Lindelof in a galaxy far far away regarding the script

01 January 2013
If it's true it's great news. The latest Trek was epic and, more importantly, fun. Exactly what's needed.

01 January 2013
Hope it's not true, I want Ryan & Dorkman to direct it!

Espire 1: My VR Stealth game - CGTalk thread

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by entropymachine: Set lightsabers to stun!

lolz!

Originally Posted by entropymachine: I guess you're right, i just thought that in such a huge franchise with books, comics, animation etc there could be talented guys passionate about it to ensure it will be worthy of the cult around SW, so it doesn't seem just like a pure "popularity" decision. At least i hope they keep Lindelof in a galaxy far far away regarding the script

I did read somewhere that Lawrence Kasdan was approached about writing something, though it wasn't necessarily Ep VII. Maybe some over-arching story arc or something, who knows. But my singular hope is that Lindelof keeps his grubby mitts far from this franchise, which might give it a chance.

Overall, Abrams is a decent choice. He obviously "gets" fanboy franchises and is a big crowd-pleaser, which should calm the studio down a lot. I would have been more excited with someone like Brad Bird, but that's just wishful thinking. He doesn't have the track record or studio imprimatur that Abrams has. But I'm genuinely curious to see if JJ can get the tone right, in addition to telling a great, swashbuckling story. He does seem pretty good with actors, so that bodes well for at least having some non vomit-inducing line reading.

01 January 2013
In addition to all of those wonderful lens flares.
We'll also get the same wooden acting in StarWars that we're getting from his StarTrek films.
Abrams is the KING of wooden actors.

If J.J. Abrams falls in the forest...Does he make a noise?

-ScottA

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers: In addition to all of those wonderful lens flares.
We'll also get the same wooden acting in StarWars that we're getting from his StarTrek films.

Strange, I feel quite the opposite.

I thoroughly enjoyed the performances in Star Trek - and I'm a Trek fan from the 60's. Wooden? Not in my opinion.

01 January 2013
Wooden acting? I thought all actors in star trek perfectly fit their roles.
Anyway, I like enthusiasm of prev posters. Does that mean that JJ would make Prometheus good film?
How much a director matters if script sucks?
Scott made two greatest sci-fi flicks of all time, Alien and Blade runner, and then he made this %@#$ crap Prometheus.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers: In addition to all of those wonderful lens flares.

judging from some of the big budget films I have watched recently, he has a lot of competition for the crown.

01 January 2013
Quote: How much a director matters if script sucks?

That's the difference between a bad director and a good director I believe. The latter can stand to the producers and impose his vision. I'll never watch anything again from Prometheus director. If a movie suck, dont blame the bad script, blame the director that didn't see it.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: lolz!
Overall, Abrams is a decent choice. He obviously "gets" fanboy franchises and is a big crowd-pleaser

No I don't think he does. I test a film how good it is if I want to see it a again. I had no desire to see his version of Trek again.

The problem I believe is "To boldly go where no man has gone before!". His version screamed, love me love me! But it didn't boldly go anywhere. It was light entertainment that retraced too many steps but didn't mark its own. It wasn't a classic.

Jules

P.S. I long for films that don't try to please everyone but instead artistically bemuse, and then years later we find out how great it truly is (or how much it sucks). I guess that's what I mean by bold.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Jules123: P.S. I long for films that don't try to please everyone but instead artistically bemuse, and then years later we find out how great it truly is (or how much it sucks). I guess that's what I mean by bold.

Not to burst your bubble, but this sounds like what will be the exact opposite of Disney's marketing plans. I think they can probably look forward to breaking all opening weekend box office records with about a half-billion in receipts in 3 days if the thing is even halfway decent.

01 January 2013

If J.J. Abrams falls in the forest...Does he make a noise?

-ScottA

His directing in Star Trek was fine enough, same for MI3, both enjoyable. I like him at the helm of Star Wars but he's not gonna have anywhere close to as much room to improvise as he did with Trek.

As for wooden acting, he's nowhere close to the disaster that happen to Star Wars since the day they cast Hayden as Vader. A 2x4 can show more emotion and deliver better lines. If it wasnt for Ewan McGregor and the cast of secondary characters that was stellar, the prequels would've been a lot worse than just bad and annoying (jar jar).

Abrams' Trek is a masterpiece if you wanna compare acting performances, which is kinda sad and funny at the same time for SW.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: Not to burst your bubble, but this sounds like what will be the exact opposite of Disney's marketing plans. I think they can probably look forward to breaking all opening weekend box office records with about a half-billion in receipts in 3 days if the thing is even halfway decent.

pretty much. Grab a random marvel script, insert more toy marketing and thats the depth you should be expecting from'em.

01 January 2013
Anything JJ does is going to be a huge improvement on the last three Star Wars films.

Thread Closed share thread