Live Rendering with Tablet On site

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Live Rendering with Tablet On site

I've seen photos of users holding tablets in the field and it dislaying the proposed project (Architectural rendering, 3d model, whatever), live. The user can pan their tablet up and down and the render remains dynamic, adjusts accordingly to show the user a live picture.

Does this technology exist, and what is it called?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Could be a "Remote Desktop" application in use.

Basically, the desktop on your PC is streamed to your tablet.

You can then remote control that PC desktop from your tablet screen.

All you would have to do is to have the render engine running on your PC, and remote control its 3D camera view from your tablet.

I haven't tried this myself, so I cannot recommend a particular remote desktop software.

But it should work fine once you have the remote desktop configured...

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Old 01 January 2013   #3
It sounds like he is describing a real time augmented reality app, that tracks and composites the model on the proposed site.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Correct

Correct Big. Does that exist?

Old 01 January 2013   #5
You might want to take a look at Sitespace 3D, which was awarded the CES 2013 Mobility Award. It was the first result for "real time augmented reality ios apps" on Google search...

Works with Trimble SketchUp (formerly Google SketchUp) models. (Interesting claim about having no limit on polygon count -- I'll bet some CGTalker would love to test that limit)

iOS https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sig...d454578424?mt=8
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ightSpace&hl=en

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: It sounds like he is describing a real time augmented reality app, that tracks and composites the model on the proposed site.

That could well be the case.

But a tablet has limited 3D horsepower, so if you are displaying something complex like an entire Augmented Reality 3D building at the - currently empty - construction site, you'd have to have a pretty low-poly 3 model of it for a tablet to display it in realtime...

Anyways, both uses are possible. Live Augmented Reality on-site, and using a remote desktop app to show your client live 3D renderings (handled by the remote controlled PC workstation).

Old 01 January 2013   #7
I could see how the higher-resolution rendering through PC connection would be impressive visually, but think it would be difficult to manage the camera while onsite and discussing with client. Seems there is opportunity here for a technical genius to combine them both, or simply figure out how to use high-res models in existing AR tools. The AR was what I was looking for specifically. I deal primarily with underground infrastructure, but I'll try to model an alien or something and video/post results. First I have to buy an apple or android phone ... ug...technology... so expensive lol

Thanks for the key terms though guys. It was difficult to google info about it not know what I was looking for.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread