Bob Iger Taking Closer Look At Violence In Disney Video Games

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01 January 2013   #1
Bob Iger Taking Closer Look At Violence In Disney Video Games

Quote:
"Disney‘s Bob Iger said he’s taking measures to monitor violence in his company’s video game interests following the Newtown school shooting and President Obama’s subsequent gun initiatives, which include a study of the impact of violent video games."

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/dis...er/#more-411309
__________________
LW FREE MODELS:FOR REAL Home Anatomy Thread
FXWARS
:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

 
Old 01 January 2013   #2
I think Roger Corman said it best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=sTHj2jlmneg
__________________
[Invivo Animation Reel]
 
Old 01 January 2013   #3
Quote: Bob Iger Taking Closer Look At Violence In Disney Video Games


I just can't get past any sentence that has "Disney" and "violence" in it.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #4
"Wreck-it-Ralph" to be renamed "Slowly-Take-Apart-and-Carefully-Place-on-Ground-so-Nobody-Gets-Hurt-Ralph."

Seriously, does Disney even have guns in their games? Sounds like just some dumb PR move to make them seem like they care.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #5
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: I think Roger Corman said it best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=sTHj2jlmneg


I get his point but I hate it when they use Canada as some kind of model of peace and prosperity.
We have a much smaller population than the US.
We do have violence and murders.
I can look out my window in a tourist retirement community and see one murder site up the street and another down the street.
The nearest school had a vice principal attacked by a student wielding a pair of scissors.
A McDonalds on the same street had a gang of teens beat up patrons.
One of the worst school massacres happened in Canada in the late 80s.

We tend to be passive about things and dont like to highlight internal problems much.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16: Seriously, does Disney even have guns in their games? Sounds like just some dumb PR move to make them seem like they care.


My thoughts exactly.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Old 01 January 2013   #7
Originally Posted by kelgy: I get his point but I hate it when they use Canada as some kind of model of peace and prosperity.
We have a much smaller population than the US.
We do have violence and murders.
I can look out my window in a tourist retirement community and see one murder site up the street and another down the street.
The nearest school had a vice principal attacked by a student wielding a pair of scissors.
A McDonalds on the same street had a gang of teens beat up patrons.
One of the worst school massacres happened in Canada in the late 80s.

We tend to be passive about things and dont like to highlight internal problems much.


Well heck- when will your lawmakers enact an assault scissors ban?
 
Old 01 January 2013   #8
They did make the last turok game that came out a few years ago. Other than that I can't think of anything even remotely violent.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #9
How about TAXING violent video games?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...o-game-tax.aspx
 
Old 01 January 2013   #10
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: Well heck- when will your lawmakers enact an assault scissors ban?


only when the National Scissors Association allows it
 
Old 01 January 2013   #11
Of course, we must shield our kids from videogames, its not as if the news playing on TV during family dinner time show any violent pictures of wars, massacres, rapes, assaults, murders, accidents, actual fighting, beatings, police chases, gore, or behave in a total retarded way like pushing themselves on grieving victim's families to get interviews and ratings, is it?

Apparently we all made it so far only because there wasn't violence in the videogames of our youth... GTA1, Carmageddon, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Rise of the Triad, Streets of Rage, Street Fighter,Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Contra, Redneck Rampage, Postal, Blood, etc,etc, were all essentially about rainbows and unicorns for sure, otherwise it would mean videogames have the same relation to developing personality disorders as reading a book, watching tv, going outside, and all this is just for scapegoating purposes.

I just hope this isn't a sign Disney will fill Episode VII with more Jar-jar binks types and happy Jedis fighting Sith Lords with words of wisdom and repentance.

Last edited by entropymachine : 01 January 2013 at 07:50 PM.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16: "Wreck-it-Ralph" to be renamed "Slowly-Take-Apart-and-Carefully-Place-on-Ground-so-Nobody-Gets-Hurt-Ralph."

Seriously, does Disney even have guns in their games? Sounds like just some dumb PR move to make them seem like they care.


Will the new Star Wars video games be a Disney property? Seems lots of people get shot in those games.
__________________
 
Old 01 January 2013   #13
Originally Posted by entropymachine: Of course, we must shield our kids from videogames, its not as if the news playing on TV during family dinner time show any violent pictures of wars, massacres, rapes, assaults, murders, accidents, actual fighting, beatings, police chases, gore, or behave in a total retarded way like pushing themselves on grieving victim's families to get interviews and ratings, is it?


Just this. I am constantly appalled by the amount and intensity of violence during so-called family time on tv. We like to watch football, but the networks use this valuable advertising time to promote their endless bloody procedural police dramas. It's so bad we have taken to changing the channel during commercials, only to land on another violent show or ad. It's become almost comical how much this happens. My tv used to have an awesome feature where you hit "mute" and the picture would not just go silent, but would dim way down in brightness (to a level you could set). i dearly miss this feature.
__________________
www.artbot.com

 
Old 01 January 2013   #14
the new series of Star Wars will not have weapons. No laser guns and no light sabers. Just lots of people running around using their fingers to air choke people and pinching their heads.
 
Old 01 January 2013   #15
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d: the new series of Star Wars will not have weapons. No laser guns and no light sabers. Just lots of people running around using their fingers to air choke people and pinching their heads.


Well, George did make a conscious effort to have less gore by making everything completely bloodless, at least in the later movies and prequels. I heard that it was the primary motivation for the opponents being robots instead of live troops.
__________________
www.artbot.com

 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.