How on earth do people texture like this

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #31
Originally Posted by BlackArr0w: How on earth is this texturing example impressive?

Yeah... the game is Battlefield 3 by the way incase you guys were wondering. I've started to learn more about texturing but I had one quick question how easy or how hard is it to make huge sweeping landscapes? i.e thousands of trees or buildings etc
Thanks

Old 01 January 2013   #32
Originally Posted by icantthinkofaname: I had one quick question how easy or how hard is it to make huge sweeping landscapes? i.e thousands of trees or buildings etc
Thanks

Two words: Matte Painting
Another two words: Particle Instantiation

Old 01 January 2013   #33
Originally Posted by icantthinkofaname: Yeah... the game is Battlefield 3 by the way incase you guys were wondering. I've started to learn more about texturing but I had one quick question how easy or how hard is it to make huge sweeping landscapes? i.e thousands of trees or buildings etc
Thanks

For a team of skilled artists, it'd be a big undertaking. For someone at your apparent level, it'd be inadvisible to attempt such an ambitious goal. Start small. Master things one small step at a time.

Old 01 January 2013   #34
@icantthinkofaname, if you are looking for learning resources of video game texturing, I ll recommend you to take a look here:

http://wiki.polycount.com/TexturingTutorials

Its a nice list of tutorials, I am sure you will find something useful.
And yes, start small, that's a good advice. Its better to show something small but kickass, that something huge but just ok.

And in case you haven't seen it, there is this classic metal texture workflow tutorial by the awesome Stefan Morrell:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=373024

Old 01 January 2013   #35
This has been an interesting read since texturing has been a big pain for me.

I have been having a hell of a time getting things to look right in renders. I always figured the tutorials I have been using were confusing and misleading, but Manuqc said it best- video games methods don't necissarily work for movies/vfx-

I will try anything to see how it looks. I guess all that matters is the final result. Though seeing examples out there I am boggled at how much compexity there is in some images/movies that look horrible while far simpler things can look better!

Also, as mentioned a few replies back, use good references; or as they drilled into my head in art school: Draw what you see! Not what you think you should see! I think this one is a dying concept sometimes.

Old 01 January 2013   #36
that quixel photoshop plugin looks pretty damn clever, need to have a play with that I think

Old 01 January 2013   #37
On a curiosity note, do you texture artists build your own models to showcase your work for portfolios and reels? (in the beginning of your career, not when you have movie/games done ) Asking because although i guess getting free models and work on them is an easier way and one less worry, sometimes a good "personal" project to texture upon can separate you from the rest of the job appliances no? On the other hand, handling other's models can give you some experience for a real work environment, so i wondered which is more popular.

Old 01 January 2013   #38
Originally Posted by grumposaur: video games methods don't necissarily work for movies/vfx-

Hi, I highly recommend you to take a look at the arnold 101 class at fx phd, you'll get a nice grasp of how shading networks and textures go together to achieve different types of materials.
Hope that helps

Old 01 January 2013   #39
also I found http://www.ronenbekerman.com/ to be an awesome place to take a look at texturing/shading workflows from many talented artists... (yes I know, its archviz and not vfx... but still lots of the archviz dudes are kicking ass badly! and there is a lot of making ofs, where artists are kind enough to show a breakdown of their textures, shaders....etc...

Also I know most of stuff is for max, but the concepts are easily transferable to maya, soft...etc... but..one big difference will be that archviz is not using mari, which is now the standard for texture workflow...

Old 01 January 2013   #40
Originally Posted by entropymachine: On a curiosity note, do you texture artists build your own models to showcase your work for portfolios and reels? (in the beginning of your career, not when you have movie/games done ) Asking because although i guess getting free models and work on them is an easier way and one less worry, sometimes a good "personal" project to texture upon can separate you from the rest of the job appliances no? On the other hand, handling other's models can give you some experience for a real work environment, so i wondered which is more popular.

The better texture artists are those (in my opinion) who've experienced the modeling side of the equation. So while it's not a strict requirement for many companies, I'd highly recommend building one's own models. You'll learn about modeling requirements that are very important down the line for the texture artist. Things like topology, how it reacts to the various smoothing algorithms that render engines let loose upon it and what that does to the model and the UVs. As well of course how to construct that UV layout that you prefer to paint on.
In addition, why stop there. As a texture artist, it really pays to know shading and look development too.

Besides... in a world where your imagination is the limit, why restrict yourself to just a single discipline.

Last edited by DutchDimension : 01 January 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #41
Originally Posted by leigh: Am I the only one who finds that example a bit meh?

Coming from games, I think it's probably more than "meh". I don't see any of the break up of materials that I expect out of current gen quality shaders (Shader Model 3.0 on X360 and PS3).

It feels like I'm looking at a diffuse with a low range spec map and possibly no normal map. I don't see the AO map or proper spec range. For metal objects, I typically pack a seperate spec map (or mask) per channel in a DXT 5 so that I can cheaply get numerous metallic presets on the same object without a lot of maps.

There are just a lot of details that I feel like I am missing before I would sign off on showing this to an art director. Sorry for being harsh if anyone knows the artist.

Old 01 January 2013   #42
Originally Posted by _vine_: Coming from games, I think it's probably more than "meh". I don't see any of the break up of materials that I expect out of current gen quality shaders (Shader Model 3.0 on X360 and PS3).

Ironically I found myself focusing more on the lackluster building to the right. It feels pre-Counterstrike. Having a scuffed up weapon with higher-res textures than the environment around it just feels strange. Side note.. I'm glad I never sunk that low on the apathy scale to say "meh". Life is better than that!

Old 01 January 2013   #43
Originally Posted by cakesodainitiative: I'm glad I never sunk that low on the apathy scale to say "meh". Life is better than that!

On the contrary, recognising when work is meh is how we progress. It's people who are happy to stay with their work at a mediocre level who are apathetic.

Old 02 February 2013   #44
Honestly, I'm not impressed by it. Its good but not mind blowing. Look at this tutorial by Stonemason here.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=373024

Old 02 February 2013   #45
This screenshot is a low resolution of the alpha console version of the game, the graphics of the PC version I say are pretty outstanding.

Thread Closed share thread