Olympus has Fallen Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Theres hope for me ever being a compositor in hollywood.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Normally I try not to be that nitpicky when watching an action movie, otherwise the fact that the hero with an UZI, from half mile, has a better aim than the villain with a single shot rifle from 50m, would ruin every other movie or more.

I -do- however feel dumber for having watched that trailer. "You don't go full retard" comes to mind with this script.
A crowd of fully armed people storming the white house gates and a cargo plane flying anywhere withn a mile of its air space is a bit too much to take it seriously.

Yeah, I get that it's too nit-picky. I think it's just my reaction from living in the ultra-paranoid police-state we have here that makes the whole premise look that much more outrageous.

Honestly, it looks like it could be fun (like Con Air-type fun) if it has the right directorial touch and plenty of scenery-chewing dialog.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: A crowd of fully armed people storming the white house gates and a cargo plane flying anywhere withn a mile of its air space is a bit too much to take it seriously.

While the cargo plane was probably very over the top, having fully armed people storming the white house seems pretty plausible.

I was in Washington this December, and honestly was a little underwhelmed by The White House. It really is just a white house, in the middle of a city.

They were doing construction on a stand in front of the building, and there was just one secret service car outside.

Now while I have no doubt that if someone drove right up to, and through the fence there would be swarms of heavily armed people outside very quickly, its still not completely implausible that it *could* happen.

01 January 2013
Jesus, this looks so dumb. So so so so dumb.

So dumb.

And frankly, any thing with Gerard Butler is to be avoided at all costs. Come on people!

01 January 2013
I saw it as, ok, the mrs dies, we saw that right... but wait..no, she's the leader of the terrorists, HA didn't see that coming did you.

I always thought that they should play this the other way, eg. Morgan Freeman say hey cracker what do i care, I got the big job now, we dont negotiate with terrorists, so go ahead make my day, shoot him.

The pres overhears the call then has to save his own ass, if only to get back at Freeman. That could be fun.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Pyke: While the cargo plane was probably very over the top, having fully armed people storming the white house seems pretty plausible.

I was in Washington this December, and honestly was a little underwhelmed by The White House. It really is just a white house, in the middle of a city.

They were doing construction on a stand in front of the building, and there was just one secret service car outside.

Now while I have no doubt that if someone drove right up to, and through the fence there would be swarms of heavily armed people outside very quickly, its still not completely implausible that it *could* happen.

As a DC local I can tell you that there is a LOT more security than it seems.
I have heard reports that there is a unit of US Marines permanently stationed in the White House.
(Complementing the units of secret service/ secret service police on the premises)
Also there are multiple way out of the building (for example there are reports that there are tunnels that lead out of it)

And there are report that the contruction you saw is for a new White House underground shelter that can stand bunker buster bombs.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

01 January 2013
Let's see:

1) The trailer gives away 3/4 of the plot of the movie (including the fact that the C-130 crashes into the ground )

2) The CG looks like it was rendered and comped by 1st year Maya students

3) Gerard Butler's acting looks strangely terrible.

Overall Verdict? FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

01 January 2013
Still better than Twilight I'd say.
I recall people were bashing some movies on this board in the past just because of their technical flaws but they turn out to be quite enjoyable at the end.
I will keep my opinion for myself until I watch it.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by EricM: The CGI looks like a videocopilot tutorial... without the funny comments from Andrew Kramer and Sam Loya being killed at the end.

This must have been cooked really fast to be the first on the market...

you can tell some shots are WIP for the trailer, i think overall it looks "fun", but not in a logical way like some have said. It looks like it could be a fun FX movie.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: Still better than Twilight I'd say.

What isn't?

01 January 2013
This film is so cliched it might as well be a block of cheddar, it's like the concept was a mix mash of old president hostage films. What I mean is when the president is forced into demands by terrorists or when one super soldier takes on an entire army with his one gun.

The film reminds me of 1992's Under Siege (yes 21 years ago) the most, but of course Die Hard and Air Force One, off the top of my head. Well at least Steve Seagal was funny to watch, a ponytailed ex special forces turned chef takes on a ship of terrorists and rescue the hostages single handedly. Also what's with film makers these days continually using Koreans. Is this some kind of propaganda?

Personally I don't mind Gerard Butler as an actor but I do find it funny that he has to try not to sound too Scottish with his accent. The director has done some good films in the past though with training day and shooter, that I quite liked.

Personally it lacks story but has plenty of action sequences. It will be cheesy film to watch with little hope of it being memorable with more intersting films coming out later on in the year.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: Yeah, I get that it's too nit-picky. I think it's just my reaction from living in the ultra-paranoid police-state we have here that makes the whole premise look that much more outrageous.

Mostly I meant that, despite usually NOT being nitpicky, this trailer was actually a bit too over the top even by my relatively low plausibility standards.
There's a fine line between balls to the walls action, and groan inducing roller coaster.

Some movies did it well.
Die Hard 4 has a sequence working its way up to Willis driving a car into an helicopter crash, and despite knowing enough about cars and physics to see the flaws, it worked and was good entertainment IMO. It's OTT but it walks that line and it's a good, righteous ending to an engaging sequence.
When a sequence is gratuitously OTT throughout for the sake of it, it doesn't work the same way (2012 anyone?). This film looks like it might have crossed that line into the wrong territory, ala indy4 atomic fridge.

Quote: Honestly, it looks like it could be fun (like Con Air-type fun) if it has the right directorial touch and plenty of scenery-chewing dialog.

That's my other problem with it. I'm fine with cheesy OTT too when it doesn't take itself seriously, and "good bad movies" have their place too. Plenty 80s and early 90s stuff are enjoyable like that, pretty much half of Arnie's movies drip cheese (predator bicep fetish shot anyone?), but it works in there, and the rest of the movie has an edge.

When cheesy OTT is both unapologetic and it takes itself seriously though... well, no go, sorry.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. It's not like it's a movie trying to set any standard for any genre anyway, it's a popcorn sales booster kind of flick, but it's a shame to see potential wasted.
It's been a while since I've seen a good movie of this genre (I'd say in the vein of the Rock, which Bay or not was damn entertaining), and there's only that many coming out every year, it'd be cool if occasionally one was good

01 January 2013
That cargo plane is an AC-130 gunship. There's not very many of them and almost all are based out of Eglin Air Force base in Florida. The idea that they managed to steal one of those alone is pretty silly. But it would proabaly make a more interesting movie.
Why can't they do a movie about holding Congess hostage?
Oh wait, that woud be a comedy.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Michael32766: That cargo plane is an AC-130 gunship. There's not very many of them and almost all are based out of Eglin Air Force base in Florida. The idea that they managed to steal one of those alone is pretty silly.

And how do you know the C-130 is not in fact deployed by its LEGITIMATE OWNERS! DUN DUN DUUUUUNNNNNN!

Aaron Eckhart: "Thanks for saving me."

Gerard Butler: "What I still don't understand is how they can get a C-130 gunship. All those things are based in Eglin Air Force Base in Florida."

Aaron Eckhart: "That's right."

Gerard Butler: "They can only launch them with the approval of Air Force Command."

Aaron Eckhart: "Correct again..."

Gerard Butler: "But that means...."

Aaron Eckhart: "The takeover of the entire White House was really an operation by the U.S. Military to rehearse emergency measures... Didn't you get the memo?"

Gerard Butler: ".....But the property damage..."

Aaron Eckhart: "Will be paid in tax dollars."

Gerard Butler: "Your wife...."

Aaron Eckhart: "Is alive and well. See.. that was part of the rehearsal."

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01 January 2013 at 04:44 AM.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by thethule: Jesus, this looks so dumb. So so so so dumb.

So dumb.

And frankly, any thing with Gerard Butler is to be avoided at all costs. Come on people!

?? Law Abiding Citizen and 300 were well played by Gerard. I don't know what you are talking about.

Thread Closed share thread