Olympus has Fallen Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Olympus has Fallen Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-IaAx7s8k

Oh did these guys watch too much "24"?

Just wondering.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Emmerich got a similar movie going too http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2334879/

going to be one of those Armageddon / Deep Impact things.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Ummm, yeah, so a C-130 gunship (presumably an unidentified one) flies at treetop level over The Mall and it's not instantly shot down? Hell, it would likely be shot down before it got anywhere near the capitol. Have these screenwriters ever seen what happens when even a tiny Cessna breaches the no-fly zone?

I see the gunship being shot at later in the trailer by ridiculously slow and poorly guided missiles, like they were being fired by a shaky-handed terrorist's RPG. I also find it seriously hard to believe there is not a Phalanx-type system hidden around those buildings.

And isn't that line from the former agent taken directly from Die-Hard?

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: Emmerich got a similar movie going too http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2334879/

going to be one of those Armageddon / Deep Impact things.

I actually thought this WAS the Roland Emmerich movie for sec there.

Quote: "A Secret Service agent is tasked with saving the life of the U.S. President after the White House is overtaken by a paramilitary group."

And that is the description from Emmerichs "White House Down". You can pretty much copy-paste this one to "Olympus Has Fallen".

Old 01 January 2013   #5
The CGI looks like a videocopilot tutorial... without the funny comments from Andrew Kramer and Sam Loya being killed at the end.

This must have been cooked really fast to be the first on the market...

Old 01 January 2013   #6
"i'm the best chance you've got" One day there will be an action movie where the hero hasn't screwed up prior to the movie events and is trusted from the start by the department head that needs his help I bet he's also divorced but his ex still cares for him!

Old 01 January 2013   #7
You know.... considering the same Asian man was involved in trying to kill James Bond over a North Korean plot to use a killer laser over the Demilitarized Zone and he is also involved in illegal street racing while SWAT came into his house and disrespected his whole family... It was a very bad idea to let this guy into the White House.

Seriously... Looks well-made and compact. Agreed though that many of the composites look like they aren't quite finished.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Originally Posted by Artbot: Ummm, yeah, so a C-130 gunship (presumably an unidentified one) flies at treetop level over The Mall and it's not instantly shot down? Hell, it would likely be shot down before it got anywhere near the capitol. Have these screenwriters ever seen what happens when even a tiny Cessna breaches the no-fly zone?

The screenwriters if pressed will just invoke 9/11, same as any other writer who is hinging their story on an event taking place that could not happen without an immensely huge number of other events (that would be automatically set into motion by that first event) all getting turned off.

Occam's Razor is meaningless, because there is no simple explanation for anything anymore, just the illusion of one that people will grasp at so they don't go nuts over considering what might really have happened.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Originally Posted by BlackArr0w: I actually thought this WAS the Roland Emmerich movie for sec there.

And that is the description from Emmerichs "White House Down". You can pretty much copy-paste this one to "Olympus Has Fallen".
Yup. So, if i'm going to watch something that looks like an Emmerich movie, I might as well go for the real thing.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Originally Posted by entropymachine: "i'm the best chance you've got" One day there will be an action movie where the hero hasn't screwed up prior to the movie events and is trusted from the start by the department head that needs his help I bet he's also divorced but his ex still cares for him!

I'd put money on the fact that his estranged wife is probably somewhere in the White House and the terrorists find out who she is and....well, the only thing missing is setting it at a company Christmas party.

Originally Posted by trevanian: Occam's Razor is meaningless, because there is no simple explanation for anything anymore, just the illusion of one that people will grasp at so they don't go nuts over considering what might really have happened.

Which is really another way of saying the whole thing has to be relentlessly dumbed-down to even make it work, even as fiction. While I'm sure there are any number of safety and rescue gizmos in the White House that would put the NORAD bunker to shame, they pretty much have to pretend it's as straightforward as a big bank heist to get any traction at all.

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Cheesy and awesome!

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Artbot: Ummm, yeah, so a C-130 gunship (presumably an unidentified one) flies at treetop level over The Mall and it's not instantly shot down? Hell, it would likely be shot down before it got anywhere near the capitol. Have these screenwriters ever seen what happens when even a tiny Cessna breaches the no-fly zone?

I see the gunship being shot at later in the trailer by ridiculously slow and poorly guided missiles, like they were being fired by a shaky-handed terrorist's RPG. I also find it seriously hard to believe there is not a Phalanx-type system hidden around those buildings.

Normally I try not to be that nitpicky when watching an action movie, otherwise the fact that the hero with an UZI, from half mile, has a better aim than the villain with a single shot rifle from 50m, would ruin every other movie or more.

I -do- however feel dumber for having watched that trailer. "You don't go full retard" comes to mind with this script.
A crowd of fully armed people storming the white house gates and a cargo plane flying anywhere withn a mile of its air space is a bit too much to take it seriously.

Old 01 January 2013   #13

actually a Cessna did crash into the White House in 1994. Then again, perimeter denial has come a long way since then

Old 01 January 2013   #14
That plane is like the boss fight of the trailer. I feel stupid after watching this.

Old 01 January 2013   #15
lol

Omg the lines, the lines!
I think I will be sick from all that melted CHEEZE !!

Thread Closed share thread