Intel to Stop Making Desktop Motherboards

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Intel to Stop Making Desktop Motherboards

Quote:
"It's the end of an era: Intel has announced that, over the next three years, it will wind down production of desktop motherboards to zero.
The company will continue to supply chipsets for use by third party motherboard manufacturers—the likes of ASUS, ASRock and Gigabyte—but after 2013 it won't make more motherboards itself, reports Anandtech. In fact, the last output from Intel will be 'boards that accommodate its soon-to-launch Haswell architecture chips (the successor to Ivy Bridge). It'll then wind down and not bother for its subsequent set of silicon.

"

http://gizmodo.com/5978232/intel-to...op-motherboards
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

01 January 2013
This is sad. I love Intel boards.

01 January 2013
As much as I loved Intel boards, I can't say that they will be all that missed. It's competitors are quite capable of producing acceptable substitutes.

01 January 2013
For a while they were saying it would have been one gen off and one gen on for the next two (next gen would have not been offered to mobo manufacturers, while the following would have had, and the following again should have spelt the end of non-intel mobos), and now a 180 where Intel bows out of it...

Most odd, especially on the server market front, where their products enjoy a huge reputation.
I wonder if they'll do an nVIDIA thing, ala quadro, where they choose one manufacturer and provide them with tighter and mandatory guidelines for those, while leaving the rest open and up to the mobo manufacturers for the non-server markets. It might make sense.

Edit: Apparently it's the desktop market they are bowing out of, but might still hold onto the server markets, and obviously the small footprint one. Makes a bit more sense now.

Last edited by ThE_JacO : 01 January 2013 at 10:18 PM.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: For a while they were saying it would have been one gen off and one gen on for the next two (next gen would have not been offered to mobo manufacturers, while the following would have had, and the following again should have spelt the end of non-intel mobos), and now a 180 where Intel bows out of it...

Most odd, especially on the server market front, where their products enjoy a huge reputation.
I wonder if they'll do an nVIDIA thing, ala quadro, where they choose one manufacturer and provide them with tighter and mandatory guidelines for those, while leaving the rest open and up to the mobo manufacturers for the non-server markets. It might make sense.
they might just keep the server mobo manufacturing going but send off the cheaper desktop stuff to some other manufacturer.

01 January 2013
Yeah, see edit, apparently it's the desktop market they are giving up.
All-in-one and servers will stay serviced.

01 January 2013
It's a little scary to think that desktop users are going to become a niche market ... I really don't want to head back to the days when $12,000 SGIs ruled the Earth just because they were the only game in town. Without a thriving desktop enthusiast market, it seems like workstations are destined to get more expensive.

Maybe 3D software will all be server-based by the time that happens ... who knows.

It does make me a little nostalgic for the launch of the original Athlons. 30% more frames rendered than a similarly-clocked Pentium, for less money. That was an exciting time to be building your own workstation. Sad to see AMD stuck in such a rut lately.

01 January 2013
Yeah, Phone CPUs are in that sweet spot now. Sort of sad.

Desktops though will still be around as custom builds and low to middle end servers.

Laptops will never do the job of a desktop. Unless you like that atomic exhaust form the side.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by balistic: It's a little scary to think that desktop users are going to become a niche market ...

Now many copies of win7 sold? how many hundreds of millions? Thats a big niche market.

But media and driving forces are pushing portability, phones, ultranotebooks, and particularly the cloud.

You only need to look at apple and the mac pro being ignored to see the writing on the wall. I think thats what intel have done, dump the desktop keep the server. After all the cloud will need them, users wont. Well thats at least their logic. Considering the market push and growth in the portable devices, i cant say i blame them.

Problem is, by the market seeing intel do this, its another step in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

01 January 2013
I dunno where I read it, will try and find, but the article I read said that they were giving up CONVENTIONAL boards. I took this as meaning they are creating more compact/modular designs. But just my interpretation of an article I read from some source I can't recall LOL.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: As much as I loved Intel boards, I can't say that they will be all that missed. It's competitors are quite capable of producing acceptable substitutes.

this sums it up. Also its a good business decision for Intel because the money for their mobo dev and build can go into more R&D for their processors, desktop or mobile. They might even surprise people and get into the GPU business in 5-10 years, but that's just a random idea.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by cojam: Now many copies of win7 sold? how many hundreds of millions? Thats a big niche market.

A lot of those were installed on laptops and low-spec business desktops though, and those are gradually being replaced by things like tablets and thin clients. Not many people in the average office actually *need* an expandable, upgradable ATX system with lots of local storage.

Desktops aren't going away anytime soon, but they're going to be a smaller and smaller market, just because most people who aren't content creators don't need them anymore.

01 January 2013
I don't know. My sup was crazy about Intel motherboard and insisted we use them in all workstations.I wasn't impressed, they all had annoying problems.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by balistic: with lots of local storage.

Desktops aren't going away anytime soon, but they're going to be a smaller and smaller market, just because most people who aren't content creators don't need them anymore.

I dont know about that, the latest samsung notebook has 1tb drive, and ssd's are not getting smaller. But as i said, it's all becoming a a self-fulfilling prophecy, and a driven market to generate new income through new mobile products. Don't forget intel is the one pushing the ultrabook's here, and there's more money in that. Anyone else notice how many of them run the intel 4000 gpu chipset?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Panupat: I don't know. My sup was crazy about Intel motherboard and insisted we use them in all workstations.I wasn't impressed, they all had annoying problems.
He's pobably an old fogy from a time when any other kind of motherboard was a land mine of incompatibility and bad drivers.

Thread Closed share thread