http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq10-NdyZAI
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
When are they going to realize that using Baked Ambient Occlusion, Normal Maps, and Shadow Maps will really make a BIG difference to what their games look like?

This looks like a game from the early 2000's.

Why can't they be more like Capcom? Capcom's graphics from Resident Evil 5 and upwards are more up-to-date than this really ancient-looking engine.

Some of the meshes for Lightning's clothes even look like they don't use texture maps.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
ienrdna
wireframed

portfolio
Andrei S
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan

This looks like a game from the early 2000's.

Hardware it runs on IS from early 2000's.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

The game engine was not the thing that left me unempressed, those environments though are really blandly designed, its so easy to see the "limits" of everything not what you can explore, her climbing a perfectly placed ladder doesn't cut it! which is fitting. I played FF13 and it was one endless, reallly boring, tunnel grind. Will wait and see what they do with next-gen systems.

But honestly I have no idea why they are making so many sequels to what is widely regarded as the worst Final Fantasy ever made.

Last edited by conbom : 01-23-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ienrdna
Hardware it runs on IS from early 2000's.

Well the PS3 for which this game is coming out is from 2006... so that's at least "mid-2000's".
But this game looks more like it was made for PS2 (year 2000).

Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
XeroWolf
Blender Bum

portfolio
Luke
St. George's, Grenada

Is it just me or does this game actually look worse than FFXIII graphical wise?
For lack of a better term everything just looks so meh.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

yea well Japanese games really fall behind US games now in terms of 3D environment. Has been like that for a while.

Still, if you extract character models from the game, they never failed to amaze me D: such low poly, such small texture, but looks so good.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
iikii
Creator

portfolio
Choo Bin Yong
Freelancer
Singapore

I think they keep making these games is because of the large Lightning fanbase in Japan. She has a 'ghost in the shell' look but sadly, it is still a boring game and boring characters.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Didn't they show off this new engine of theirs at the last E3?

Did they fail to get it running on Xbox360 and PS3?

I mean.. that demo looked "OK".

It's not even a Japan problem. MGS Ground Zeroes looks OK and so do many Capcom games after RE5 like I mentioned.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

I think that's a different engine.

I wonder though about the quality of the game, considering as far as I know they've only been working on this for like a year

Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Apoclypse
Expert

FF13 is probably the worst FF game I've ever played. The game is super linear the story was extremely boring and the characters were stupid and bland. I really wish they would just stop making games based off of FF13.

Square has so many games in their library that could use a sequel and yet they choose to keep re-iterating the same stupid characters and games. The Chrono series could use another sequel, FF Tactics could use a full blown console sequel, FF6 and FF9 could use a sequel (hell they should just remake FF6 with console style graphics). So many properties neglected by Square and all they are doing is FF13, the upteenth something of Mana and shitty iphone ports of their games.

I've lost all respect for Square since they merged with Enix. Who would have thought things would go so wrong. I mean the merge sounded good on paper. None of this crap would have happened if Square hadn't made that godawful flop of a movie with an unproven director at the helm.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

You'd think by now someone at Square Enix would look at the failing fortunes of Final Fantasy and decide to just switch to Unreal Engine as well as hit the reboot button on the franchise by getting Massive Black to do all the artwork from now on.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
entropymachine
Frequenter

portfolio
Cristiano Matos
Portugal

I'm not a fan of some of the character models. Face-wise, all seem to come from the same doll shop. I get it's an adopted style, just like using western pop music in a fantasy game cinematic, but still after some years the same look gets boring. That and the androgynous male ones. But to each its own, i guess

Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropymachine
I'm not a fan of some of the character models. Face-wise, all seem to come from the same doll shop. I get it's an adopted style, just like using western pop music in a fantasy game cinematic, but still after some years the same look gets boring. That and the androgynous male ones. But to each its own, i guess

Yeah... I think usually people like to pick their Art over the Business... But this is one time where clinging to their Art is destroying their Business.

The need for "more business" should have driven changes in the Art this time.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
Apoclypse
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Yeah... I think usually people like to pick their Art over the Business... But this is one time where clinging to their Art is destroying their Business.

The need for "more business" should have driven changes in the Art this time.

I like Massive Black but I don't think that's the solution. The concept art isn't the issue, the problem starts at the top. The guys at the top just don't have the same tastes as Sakaguchi, its that simple. He is/was the lifeblood of that franchise. His take of FF was to infuse his influence of old school western RPGs with a japanese flair. He took influences from everywhere, western art, film and other media. That is no longer happening. The japanese are too into their own heads. They basically let the fanboy culture dictate everything they do instead of focusing on making a good product. I read somewhere (probably here somewhere) where a popular Manga artist would look at other manga to learn how to draw clouds as opposed to just looking out of his window. That kind of thinking is hard to break away from and unfortunately the japanese industry has felt the effects. That kind of "art incest" just leads to stagnation and decay.

So in a way I agree that the solution is to bring in new fresh thinking into the project, new ideas. I don't know that Massive Black is the way to go, I don't think they fit Square's style but they need something new even if that means looking outside of Japan for influences.

On the other hand we are looking at things through a scope of a western audience. In Japan FF13 was/is very popular and the hairstyles and design used in that game are very reminiscent of what people over there find cool. I mean the guy who produced the game had hair like lightning and I've seen several Japanese tourist here in NYC that have the same kind of hair and style. Maybe Square is just focusing on their core audience. FF games used to be more universal in appeal but again that's was when square was square not Squeenix.

Thread Closed share thread