Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Shesul
Veteran
portfolio
Corlin
Poland, Poland

Best rendering strategy for animation reel?

Hello everybody. I am finishing an animation reel with characters i modeled, textured and rigged, and now its render time but i'm faced with the typical flickering issues of final gather. I was wondering what did you fellow animators/modelers did in yours to overcome having to spend a lot of time tweaking mental ray settings and worrying about flickering and artifacts in your reels.
The reason i'm not using scanline only is that i spent some time working on shaders and textures and it feels like a great letdown to see it all going down the drain because i can't seem to find a one-button-push solution to render the animation. I know it sounds lazy, but i already spent months working on this and i dont have the time or the mindset to learn the working of Final Gather from zero at the moment. Does Marmoset support animations by fbx or something?

PS- I know flickering is unavoidable with a FG solution and it takes lots of tweaking or brute force methods, but its not really my area, so any tips on a more noob friendly solution would be great! ( I also checked V-ray with Solidrocks, but there isnt that for Maya)

Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
mlager8
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Matthew Lager
3D artist
Oceanside, USA

Vray is a far easier solution to deal with than mental ray. I know your looking for something like solidrocks but have you seen Dave Girards Vray tuner script? It's pretty solid and sets up a lot for you. Theres sliders that take care of sampling and quality.

I'm pretty sure you can find it on creativecrash or his blog .

Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlager8
Vray is a far easier solution to deal with than mental ray. I know your looking for something like solidrocks but have you seen Dave Girards Vray tuner script? It's pretty solid and sets up a lot for you. Theres sliders that take care of sampling and quality.

I'm pretty sure you can find it on creativecrash or his blog .

The settings in Vray are a little tighter, but I wouldn't go so far as to day its far easier than Mental Ray.

Could you maybe post a few stills from your animation? A faint ambient light and a touch of ambient occlusion might be all you need to complement your main lights.

-AJ

Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread