StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - Opening Cinematic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  01 January 2013
I vote for the new shaders.... I think they're just easier to look at.

I did get a "toy set" vibe from the wide shots... but that's not always a bad thing for me.

The shiny ones... if you have a few really high speculars people tend to look there... but if you have too many, it becomes like a car showroom and it won't fit the mood they're going for.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
  02 February 2013
Ok, I've got to tactics nerd out for a second and just say that the terrans are displaying very poor combat skills in this video.

Firstly, if you have a ranged weapon, why would you run TOWARDS a crater rather than just creating a firing line and gunning down the enemy as they expose themselves?

Also, if you're flying, why do you come down onto the ground in front of an ultralisk that can't hurt you if you're in the air?

Finally, yes, I know it's for cinematic effect, but the siege tanks shouldn't have started deploying only when the enemy was sighted, they should've been ready to begin with since they were already in a line.

Ok ok, it's a very well crafted piece of animation and as much as I'm not a fan of some of Blizzard's business practices in the mmorpg market, to their credit they continue to do exceptional animation work and it would be great if they did a feature length one day.
 
  02 February 2013
I think it was mentioned elsewhere that Kerrigan is dreaming she is playing against a bronze level player
__________________
Dinner Date - Stout Games
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by badsearcher: Ok, I've got to tactics nerd out for a second and just say that the terrans are displaying very poor combat skills in this video.

Firstly, if you have a ranged weapon, why would you run TOWARDS a crater rather than just creating a firing line and gunning down the enemy as they expose themselves?


Because it is more spectacular.

Originally Posted by badsearcher: Also, if you're flying, why do you come down onto the ground in front of an ultralisk that can't hurt you if you're in the air?


Because of Transformers. Period.

Originally Posted by badsearcher: Finally, yes, I know it's for cinematic effect, but the siege tanks shouldn't have started deploying only when the enemy was sighted, they should've been ready to begin with since they were already in a line.


Actually everything in this trailer is for cinematic effect.

Originally Posted by badsearcher: Ok ok, it's a very well crafted piece of animation and as much as I'm not a fan of some of Blizzard's business practices in the mmorpg market, to their credit they continue to do exceptional animation work and it would be great if they did a feature length one day.


I felt "The Betrayal" cinematic has some attributes that are set higher than this one - as this "Terran luls tactics" trailer relies more on particle sim explosions, hard surfaces, robot actors and monster actors, rather than human actor dramatics.... But yeah, this latest trailer does its job well.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
  02 February 2013
Padawan, I get all of this, I just had to get the tactics nerd out of my system.
 
  02 February 2013
I played the hell out of Starcraft 1 but barely touched Starcraft 2.

I really have to say that 'The Betrayal' makes me way more interested in the game than the opening cinematic has.
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by badsearcher: Padawan, I get all of this, I just had to get the tactics nerd out of my system.


Yeah, of course you did. Was just having a bit of a dig (and in some ironic way affirming the absurdity of the Terran tactics). :P

Originally Posted by badsearcher: I played the hell out of Starcraft 1 but barely touched Starcraft 2.

I really have to say that 'The Betrayal' makes me way more interested in the game than the opening cinematic has.


That was really my thoughts.. watching these things.. I really like to try and learn with everything I'm watching.

The Betrayal is really more "action-drama" where the Heart of the Swarm trailer is more "action-action-plot twist".

In some ways, on paper, the Betrayal would seem the more interesting one to do because it has more demands that you know will have more "lasting effect". But if you do "Heart of the Swarm" you know you have a lower threshold of appeal - if you get the opening Wraith fighter missile strike correctly you've "won" the audience over.

In terms of rigging and animation, in my view, Kerrigan wincing and then learning she's dreaming - that's not an easy sequence. But it is dwarfed by the demands in the Betrayal sequence with all the radio chatter, Kerrigan confused, Kerrigan sarcastic, then Kerrigan hopeless/possibly angry, Arturo being smug....I do not dismiss that maybe the Wraith fighter transformer is also complex, or the siege tanks have complex rigging. But I think we all know those are "comfortable workloads" with low re-work compared to facial expressions and "nailing the drama".

In terms of lighting I think both are very good, but I do like "Heart of the Swarm" more....the "toy look" seems even more apparent in "The Betrayal" because a lot of things are so shiny and the Zerg look a bit like collectible figures made with ABS plastic. If you compare the two directly there's obviously a lot less "showy" VFX work in The Betrayal that isn't dictated by limitations.

For example when Kerrigan is firing a high powered weapon, they could have chosen to make the rounds go off with "squib explosions" that are really big (because in a movie you can get away with it). Instead it's actually more like a Black Hawk Down film and you only see zerg/targets reacting but with no gratuitous squibs going off and chunks being blown off.

The Betrayal is literally a slower picture.. The Zerg attack slower, some even die in slow motion.... It has more in common with films like "Glory" or "Gettysburg".....

The director for "Heart of the Swarm" (assuming it's a different person) really goes about it differently - sparks and smoke everywhere.....spectacle after spectacle - everybody dies in half-second bursts.

Basically they're both Starcraft, but they each have investment in a different place. One is more drama and tunes down the action - and the other is really almost all action but knows it's story element is only required in the last few seconds.
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 02 February 2013 at 01:24 AM.
 
  02 February 2013
Vikings can't shoot Ultralisks from the air
__________________
The Z-Axis
 
  02 February 2013
I just realized something about 'The Betrayal'. Wasn't New Gettysburg a space platform?
 
  02 February 2013
"if you get the opening Wraith fighter missile strike correctly you've "won" the audience over."

It's funny you say that because the missile strike rubbed me the wrong way because they were obviously some kind of guided missile but the footage gives us no indication that they didn't do anything more than just strike the carapace randomly. I think it would have had more impact if the missiles flew straight with a large contrail and looked heavier when they collided with their target.

I actually like the fact that there were less squibs because by making it seem more real and less warhammer 40kish it makes you consider the vulnerability of the lone fighter a lot more I think in contrast to heart of the swarm ACTION-EPIC-EXPLOSION! But yeah, it was definitely different scales meriting different approaches. You can possibly argue that at the epic scale, it's actually fine to depict tactical implausibilities because it's more disorienting and hopeless.

But on that note I still feel that the drama of 'the betrayal' is preferable even though I have to give 'heart' its due for the dramatic impact near the end of the battle cruiser crashing down having its iconic 'hammer' depicted in blurred disorienting sihlouette, a big black shape crashing down followed by a harsh white of explosion, I would definitely say the most inspired part of 'heart'.
 
  02 February 2013
like a rambo movie

nothing quite like a cup of testosterone in the morning to you get you started! Love it.
__________________
"Your Kung-Fu is No Good!"
 
  02 February 2013
Originally Posted by badsearcher: "if you get the opening Wraith fighter missile strike correctly you've "won" the audience over."

It's funny you say that because the missile strike rubbed me the wrong way because they were obviously some kind of guided missile but the footage gives us no indication that they didn't do anything more than just strike the carapace randomly. I think it would have had more impact if the missiles flew straight with a large contrail and looked heavier when they collided with their target.



At the risk of sounding redundant... :P I meant "win the audience over with a "Bay-O". You know what a "Bay-O" is right?

It's a striptease... the opening.. it's like when the girl comes on stage dressed as a nurse and breaks her uniform open to the music.... That's what the missile strike is.

The only people worried that the carapace didn't even get scratched are people invested in Terrans winning. :P
__________________
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
My ArtStation
 
  02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.