StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - Opening Cinematic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #16
Awesome work...congrats to the guys at Blizzard!

Old 01 January 2013   #17
mediocre. Cant top Lich King as of yet. Dont get the monochromatic feeling unless they were going for film noir. There's dark themes that are still quite colorful,with a palette that is carefully chosen. To me Lich King is a lot "darker" when it comes to its subject matter (betrayal and killing of friends and family vs invasion by aliens), and yet was quite colorful compared to this.

Old 01 January 2013   #18
I think the desaturated part is meant to be Kerrigan's dream... When she awakes, the colors get stronger.

Old 01 January 2013   #19
Yea Lich King is still the best of Blizzard. I haven't been that impressed with a Blizzard cinematic since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck

So good.

Old 01 January 2013   #20
I agree LK was, and remains, their best work direction and storytelling wise, and I'm a sucker for northern, cold settings, but I honestly can't see how people can call this "mediocre".

Seriously, if you find any aspects of this cinematic mediocre or even worse (I've read some appalling comments and nitpicks around), I'd love to see your reel and what's in it that tops this by so much that you would rate it at least passable, and to know what you would ever consider excellent.

It's stellar work on a large scale when it comes to our craft, just there's not much story to it, but it's the opening teaser, not the story/lore sequences in the middle.

Old 01 January 2013   #21
I think this youtube quality is really bad (but I couldn't find any better) , and I think we didn't see this in all beauty.

I agree with previous comments that liked more "artistic" Blizzard style, then realistic.
And yes, Wrath of the Lich King was definitely one of their best cinematics (funny is that I get impression (from all their making off's) that this was one of their "easily-made" cinematics... I could be wrong, though)).

Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Seriously, if you find any aspects of this cinematic mediocre or even worse (I've read some appalling comments and nitpicks around), I'd love to see your reel and what's in it that tops this by so much that you would rate it at least passable, and to know what you would ever consider excellent.

Imho, this is not a valid argument.
I don't need to know how to make wine, or to cook, to tell is it tasteful.

Old 01 January 2013   #22
But if you are a chef and you say other people's cooking is bad then you better be able to back up your reasoning.

Old 01 January 2013   #23
Well, I know there's a lot annoying people out-there, that can't respect anybody's effort (and they never done nothing similar in their life).

But I don't get angry because of that. Let them talk. Let everybody talk.
Nobody will get cinematics better or worse because of someone else talking.

Old 01 January 2013   #24
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf: Imho, this is not a valid argument.
I don't need to know how to make wine, or to cook, to tell is it tasteful.

No, but to call something that's a clear show of superior craftmanship "mediocre", on a forum dedicated to the craft, you'd better do IMO.

If I went on a wine MAKING forum and called Sassicaia a mediocre brand on account of a previous vintage being superior to this year's, I'd better have a pretty F'in strong batch of bottles in my cellar somewhere. So, again IMHO (which is all we're offering of course), that counter-argument of having tastebuds qualifying one as a food critic might apply to www.ieatstuff.com, but not when you take it to a forum frequented by chefs or aspiring chefs.

Old 01 January 2013   #25
I can't say what i'm feeling after watching this, because that it would be too profane, in a good way, but yeah storytelling wise i still like the LK more, but hot damn blizzard stop making me feel sad about my current skill level.

Old 01 January 2013   #26
really nice video, I just wish they would put more effort into the in-game graphics,
can't blizzard make or buy a good 3d engine ? they do awesome intro anims but
their in-game graphics sucks,
all other games improved over the time, why not them ?

Old 01 January 2013   #27
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: No, but to call something that's a clear show of superior craftmanship "mediocre", on a forum dedicated to the craft, you'd better do IMO.

If I went on a wine MAKING forum and called Sassicaia a mediocre brand on account of a previous vintage being superior to this year's,I'd better have a pretty F'in strong batch of bottles in my cellar somewhere. So, again IMHO (which is all we're offering of course), that counter-argument of having tastebuds qualifying one as a food critic might apply to www.ieatstuff.com, but not when you take it to a forum frequented by chefs or aspiring chefs.

No you wouldn't. Why do i have to own something to dislike another? That makes no sense. Do you have to own a Lambo to be allowed an opinion that you dont like Ferrari? Thats just having a big ego, nothing to do with opinions or preferences.

Old 01 January 2013   #28
Originally Posted by JML: really nice video, I just wish they would put more effort into the in-game graphics,
can't blizzard make or buy a good 3d engine ? they do awesome intro anims but
their in-game graphics sucks,
all other games improved over the time, why not them ?

Starcraft actually looks pretty fantastic in-game. Diablo isn't bad though there isn't much going on. I think the only Blizzard game that actually does need improved graphics is World of Warcraft

Old 01 January 2013   #29
Might sound crazy coming from a die hard gamer like me but I still have yet to play SC or SCII so I can only judge the trailer and not compare it to the game. My opinion.
Though considering how much time they have to make 3mins of film they better be the best.

Originally Posted by evolucian: No you wouldn't. Why do i have to own something to dislike another? That makes no sense. Do you have to own a Lambo to be allowed an opinion that you dont like Ferrari? Thats just having a big ego, nothing to do with opinions or preferences.

You missed his point. It wouldn't be about owning a Lambo, in this case you would be the one who built the Lambo complaining about a Ferrari's construction. But if the height of your achievement is putting a bicycle together then probably not best to criticize the late Enzo Ferrari as you wouldn't know what you're talking about. (Not saying that applies to anyone in particular)
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 01 January 2013   #30
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Might sound crazy coming from a die hard gamer like me but I still have yet to play SC or SCII so I can only judge the trailer and not compare it to the game. My opinion.
Though considering how much time they have to make 3mins of film they better be the best.

You missed his point. It wouldn't be about owning a Lambo, in this case you would be the one who built the Lambo complaining about a Ferrari's construction. But if the height of your achievement is putting a bicycle together then probably not best to criticize the late Enzo Ferrari as you wouldn't know what you're talking about. (Not saying that applies to anyone in particular)

...which means he took my statement out of context to begin with.

I said this is mediocre by Blizzard standards. Just like I can say that something like the Ferrari California is not the best car Ferrari made. I dont need to build a the proverbial bike or car to have an opinion on either of those things.

SPOILER:

Back on topic, the only thing i did like about the trailer were the first few seconds at the start before the squid thing flew out of the ship & Kerrigan waking up at the end. It has no substance past the whole "zerg invade and kill humans...again...for the upteenth time". Story driven games is why Blizzard is one of the rare major game developers to still be successful in the PC market. Heavily story driven games. They stand by that and generally deliver pretty well, though i saw some people weren't happy with Diablo 3 ending, I havent played it yet.

I prefer the Starcraft 2 trailer to this. The CG may be higher quality here, have more polygons,etc but thats not what drives me to purchase a video game. I also dont dig the monochromatic look and prefer their painterly ones they've done. Games though, it all comes down to story and gameplay. A trailer is an ad for a game and given their past trailers, i find this one to be weak in terms of pulling me in to buy the game.

Thread Closed share thread