StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - Opening Cinematic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm - Opening Cinematic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Q&v=MVbeoSPqRs4

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Saw this today and thought it was really, really awesome. It creates hype, just like a cinematic should.

My only comment would be that there was a lack of shaders on some models, even the creatures didn't feel organic enough, more like rubber.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
is that a Terran Battlecruiser crashing into the ground before the the Kerrigan bits?

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Stankluv: yep, proportion wise it doesn't really resemble the ingame model

gotta love the ultralisk:

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Did they forget to turn on reflections when rendering? All the metal looks like rubber.

Ole

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Olegr: Did they forget to turn on reflections when rendering? All the metal looks like rubber.

Ole

I think that's more of a style thing, Terran units are gritty and dirty, not shiny-perfect like a lot of futuristic betrayals of technology (plus heart of the swarm has a much more darker theme then wings of liberty)

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Wish they would make some episodic series like Axis's Spartan Ops or something. Or in a wishful thinking mode, a full length movie.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Originally Posted by j00st81: I think that's more of a style thing, Terran units are gritty and dirty, not shiny-perfect like a lot of futuristic betrayals of technology (plus heart of the swarm has a much more darker theme then wings of liberty)

If you look at the game that is completely unrealistic. StarCraft units barely survive for 3 minutes out of the factory. They should all be shiny and new.

Ole

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Maybe they did great shaders but they screw it up in post like always.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
I really loved the visuals, but I think that the voice over was too 'on the nose'.

My favorite Blizzard cinematic is the Lich King one, where the kings hopeful wishes for his son were played over visuals of his son raising an evil army. It was that juxtaposition that elevated that from just a cinematic to art.

I know that the voice over is game specific, but it could have been just SO much better!

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Originally Posted by j00st81: Stankluv: yep, proportion wise it doesn't really resemble the ingame model

gotta love the ultralisk:

more likely a Tarrasque.

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Originally Posted by Pyke: I really loved the visuals, but I think that the voice over was too 'on the nose'.

My favorite Blizzard cinematic is the Lich King one, where the kings hopeful wishes for his son were played over visuals of his son raising an evil army. It was that juxtaposition that elevated that from just a cinematic to art.

I know that the voice over is game specific, but it could have been just SO much better!

That is also my favorite Blizzard cinematic. While the king speaks so greatly about his son I had visuals from the cinematic when Arthas stabs him in W3, "succeeding him". It was just heartbreaking. Oh...and the soundtrack with the child singing helped a lot with the sad atmosphere.

However Kerrigans voice didn't distract me at all, while the Wilhelm scream did.

Old 01 January 2013   #13
I still like the Kerrigan Vs. Zeratul from SC2

Considering the amount of cinematics in Starcraft, it seems like it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to do a full-length movie. It's wishful thinking of course, but still would be awesome.

I would think if they wanted to spend a full movie budget on something like that it would be completely within reason.

I really like this new trailer, really cool. Looks like they went for more gritty, previous cinematics were more colorful.

Old 01 January 2013   #14
The Starcraft cinimatics and promos always leave me drooling for more, I would love to see it made into a show, web series or movie someday of course fingers crossed that they don't trample all over something so many people love.

Old 01 January 2013   #15
I loved this one, really impressed!

Thread Closed share thread