Pixar Sales Demo Reel from 1988

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__3aAOBWW60
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

01 January 2013
SO..BORING.

I do like Ed Catmull at the end looking like one of those TV Lawyer commercials.

01 January 2013
What I find amazing watching this clip is that it seems nobody at Pixar knew at the time that they would become so successful as an animation studio.

It just comes to show that your most successful project isn't always your first, second, or third endeavor... but when it does occur, it's usually the last thing you stick to doing.

It's romantic to imagine that everybody at Pixar dreamt of making movies from day one.. I guess you can say the clown demo comes from a place nearer to what became their core...Something suppressed.

But it's incredible that animation wasn't the reason they all came together in the beginning.

Today Ed Catmull is a much valued speaker about film production and studio management.

Who knew?

P.S.: I do wonder to this day... with the critical nature of the medical imaging contracts and the role of these Pixar computers... Do they still do these at all in any capacity? And was there a plan to transition hospitals and institutes away from Pixar imaging computers when it was clear they wouldn't be in that industry anymore?

It would be strange if people were still bringing in their Pixar II's for warranty and servicing at a building where people were making Toy Story....

P.P.S.: Ed Catmull's closing remarks sound like something he'd still be saying today in front of Disney's board. lol.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01 January 2013 at 07:51 AM.

01 January 2013
I remember the clown on the unicycle. Didn't realize it was made so long ago, great work for 1988.

01 January 2013
Renders up to 800 polygons per second!

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: It's romantic to imagine that everybody at Pixar dreamt of making movies from day one.. I guess you can say the clown demo comes from a place nearer to what became their core...Something suppressed.

They were already doing far more than some suppressed urges by then..Luxo Jr. was 1986 and Andre & Wally B. was 2 years before that. Red's Dream was 1987, and amazing for the time, both in terms of animation and rendering, and then Tin Toy pushed it even farther, etc.

It was kind of a trinity with Knick Knack..looking it up again it's interesting to see the progression into commercials (plenty of which were amazing in their own right) and then to the big one, features.

What's great about them is even though they're quaint by today's standards, everything else is there. The storytelling and mood are all there. They still play and work now.

I think at the time they just didn't know what to do with the company and systems as a whole..the animation nuts were definitely already there and pushing though, for sure.

01 January 2013
Well.. we know which of the four industries they ended up being a success in! If you think about it, a startup trying to find a business model to pay the bills

thanks goodness Lasseter was back there doing what he loved... interesting group of people them founders!

thanks for the post, that was fun to watch.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by hypercube: They were already doing far more than some suppressed urges by then..Luxo Jr. was 1986 and Andre & Wally B. was 2 years before that. Red's Dream was 1987, and amazing for the time, both in terms of animation and rendering, and then Tin Toy pushed it even farther, etc.

It was kind of a trinity with Knick Knack..looking it up again it's interesting to see the progression into commercials (plenty of which were amazing in their own right) and then to the big one, features.

What's great about them is even though they're quaint by today's standards, everything else is there. The storytelling and mood are all there. They still play and work now.

I think at the time they just didn't know what to do with the company and systems as a whole..the animation nuts were definitely already there and pushing though, for sure.

I guess you could say it was one of 2 or 3 things they could end up doing. I think this was after they were off-loaded by Lucas right?

So yeah, I guess it was a question of "What do we do now?"

But what I meant was that... there was nothing romantic about it. I think Ed Catmull and others higher up in Management were looking at the clown on a unicycle and thinking: "Errr... Maybe." rather than "That's it! That's what we're going to do!"

To wit, if they finally make a film about the Pixar story (think "jOBS" but with Ed Catmull and John Lasseter)... They would romanticize it in a way that Luxo, Jr. is given the same prominence as the Parting of the Red Sea.... My point in there being nothing romantic about it was that it probably wasn't like that at all.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread