Intuos 5 Touch...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Intuos 5 Touch...

I just recently replaced my aging Intuos 3 with an Intuos 5 touch tablet. Yay for me.

Well I really like the thing, especially with the wireless adapter I got for it, but I wonder if anyone else is annoyed by the buttons on it?

Specifically, the whole thing is black, and I can't even *see* the damn buttons on the left unless I turn all the lights on in my office, which is unacceptable, because then I have too much back-lighting. And as a result I'm always hitting the wrong button. Seems to me they should have had little LED's in them or been lighter in color or something. Anything like that would have been better.

Anyone else, or is this just me?

Also, if anyone has any tips for using the touch stuff, or links to videos or anything like that, I'd love to see. I currently have the touch stuff disabled since I don't see much use for it, but I'm sure I'm missing out on some great features I could take advantage of.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
They recently added support for some touch controls with Mudbox, more than just navigation stuff you can do things like adjust the brush and undo with gestures.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Originally Posted by darthviper107: They recently added support for some touch controls with Mudbox, more than just navigation stuff you can do things like adjust the brush and undo with gestures.

Yeah I saw that. I updated to Mudbox SP 3 just today for that matter, and the first thing that happened is I crashed hugely, due to clumsily touching the wrong things. Maybe I accidentally made some lewd gesture and offended Mudbox, who knows.

Gonna take some getting used to, that's for sure.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
I don't look at my tablet when I am working, which makes sense for the way they designed it with the little bumps on the buttons. If you ever forget what a button does you can hold your finger on it and an on-screen overlay will appear with info on what all the buttons do. My workspace is pretty dark and I can't see the tablet either, but if you get used to using it by touch I think you will like the design.

For the touch, I really like the ability to bring up the radial menu with a 3-finger tap to access program specific tasks like saving, or whatever the common menu or shortcuts might be. I map a bunch of tasks into that menu, and make sub-menus as needed so that while I am working I just need to lift the stylus off the tablet and do a 3 finger tap. I have also set the four finger swipe up to Mission Control so I can easily switch applications.

I really wish that touch was more customizable. I like the 4 finger pinch motion, but the only thing you can assign that gesture to on the Mac in Launchpad. That is kinda useless for me. I use Better Touch Tool for my Macbook Pro trackpad and it is really amazing at mapping gestures. I also want a good on-screen keyboard so I can type in short text strings without having to get to the keyboard.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Yeah, it looks like there are all kinds of useful options and possibilities there.
I'm gonna have to really dig into this thing and figure out what will work for me. It's confusing right now, but I suppose like anything else you just have to get used to it and decide what works best.
Thanks for the feedback.

As for the buttons, yeah I suppose you get used to the feel, but if I had designed it I still would have put some little LED's on them.
I found some little round reflective silver stickers, and put them on the main buttons I want to use. That is helping at least until I get used to where they are. I kept accidentally hitting the button for CTRL when I wanted ALT.

Last edited by twosheds : 01 January 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread