Old 01-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #31
trevanian
Expert
Kevin H. Martin
freelance writer
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoGator
Principles yes... (sort of, anyway). Execution, no. Making paint on glass look real is a very different skillset than making something look real in Photoshop. I can't speak for the shot you referred to, but in the Avatar trans-light we used, many of the trees in the jungle actually started out as photos of real trees that were then modified info the Pandora jungle. When somebody like Rob did those glass-paintings, they might have photographs to look at, but they still had to paint all base detail in. I've talked to him about it before and... wow... it took a certain breed of painter to do that job. Try to imagine painting on glass, outside, keeping the colors matched up as the clouds come and go, and having to be ready on a moment's notice for the Director to shout 'Action!'

There is a certain amount of 'the more things change, the more they stay the same' here, but that definitely is a lost art.

I talked with Stromberg a couple weeks back, mainly about OZ, but also about his career, and when he was barely a teen he took his grandmother's sliding glass door off and used it to paint some post apocalypse type city backgrounds, then he shot it in-camera with his friends acting below the painted vista. I was pretty impressed ... I mean, I remember using the sliding glass door as a horizontal 'live' animation stand, where you put photo cutouts of spaceships on it and slide the door while shooting through it at a starfield in the backyard, but I never took the door off or painted it!

In a quarter-century this guy went from CAPT POWER to STAR TREK matte painting to MASTER&COMMANDER vfx designing to AVATAR/ALICE/OZ producution design and now he is directing ... not many folks can claim that kind of career arc.

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #32
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafamathard
and yet i see people complaining and fighting about software, that video was truly inspirational, thanks for posting it man!

This is actually the crux of my point... Software (or No Software) you eventually get to the point where you have to put something onscreen and the images have to get into the eyeballs of viewers.

At THAT point everything is identical in requirement. I have no doubt the skills are different and it's obvious the level of scale possible now is much bigger than back in the glass panel era.

But you deliver product of Additive Spec to previous eras... .you don't really go in a different direction.... because your customer has biologically remained the same. Maybe they expect more scale or more dynamism... but you don't deduct from what was the Spec a long time ago. You can only add to it.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #33
Ephisus
Veteran

portfolio
Joel Loukus
Baltimore, USA

I was pretty young when these were running, I'll warrant they were very influential in my ultimate career decision.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #34
NanoGator

portfolio
Brian Pace
Modeller, Scripter
Feature Film
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via ICQ to NanoGator Send a message via Yahoo to NanoGator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephisus
I was pretty young when these were running, I'll warrant they were very influential in my ultimate career decision.

I remember watching that show when I was a kid and setting up little experiments with my dad's video camera afterwards. Just like you, it helped guide me to where I am quite happy to be today. On top of that, I've worked with Rob and he's one of those dudes (as Trevanian discovered....) that talks about his work. I've learned a great deal from him and have grown as an artist as a result.

It's a shame that this show is gone.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #35
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread