CDC to Research violent video games

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
CDC to Research violent video games

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. President Obama made his gun policy speech today. He specifically wants 10 million for a study into "investigating the relationship between video games, media images, and violence."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/120650415...on-gun-violence

"END THE FREEZE ON GUN VIOLENCE RESEARCH, INVESTIGATE THE CAUSES AND PREVENTION OF VIOLENCE, AND EXPLORE THE IMPACT OF VIOLENT MEDIA IMAGES AND VIDEO GAMES:

For years, Congress has subjected the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to restrictions ensuring it does not “advocate or promote gun control,” and some members of Congress have claimed this restriction prohibits the CDC from conducting any research on the causes of gun violence. However, public health research on gun violence is not advocacy. The President is directing the CDC and other research agencies to conduct research into the causes and prevention of gun violence, and the CDC is announcing that they will begin this research. The Administration is calling on Congress to provide $10 million for the CDC to conduct further research, including investigating the relationship between video games, media images,and violence."

01 January 2013
They should research the dam horror trailers on daytime tv- that is more of my problem then my kids seeing some halo game.

01 January 2013
This is a good study of playing black ops2

Jules

01 January 2013
Oh great, not this discussion again.

01 January 2013
My favorite and most succinct quote on this whole thing lately -

"Focusing on fictional violence depictions (games, movies, TV) as the seedbed of gun violence is like yelling "Theater!" in a crowded fire."

01 January 2013
Yep it's back. But this time it's official.
Look on the bright side.
Maybe someone will get payed for playing Call of Duty for the research.

01 January 2013
What a waste of ten million dollars.

01 January 2013
The most they can legally do is raise age restrictions which could potentially influence the market because some retailers don't put material with such and such a rating on their shelves. That's why very few AO video games are released.

I'm hoping that whatever study gets done, if one gets done, suggests that violence in entertainment is either therapeutic or has no significant impact.

What bother's me about this though is that the killings that threw the spotlight onto this issue weren't committed by children. Homes (the movie theater shooting in July) is 25, Roberts (Clackamas Town Center) was 22, and Lanza (Newtown) was 20. These were young adults who were either over or four months away from being over any entertainment age restrictions in the US.

The problem is that people with serious mental illnesses are finding access to military grade weaponry. I do think that the ratings systems could use a review. It's hilarious what you can get away with in violence as long as no one says the f-word. Investigating the entertainment industry over these shootings however is like freaking out over your hair after breaking a leg.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by talljon: The most they can legally do is raise age restrictions which could potentially influence the market because some retailers don't put material with such and such a rating on their shelves. That's why very few AO video games are released.

I'm hoping that whatever study gets done, if one gets done, suggests that violence in entertainment is either therapeutic or has no significant impact.

What bother's me about this though is that the killings that threw the spotlight onto this issue weren't committed by children. Homes (the movie theater shooting in July) is 25, Roberts (Clackamas Town Center) was 22, and Lanza (Newtown) was 20. These were young adults who were either over or four months away from being over any entertainment age restrictions in the US.

The problem is that people with serious mental illnesses are finding access to military grade weaponry. I do think that the ratings systems could use a review. It's hilarious what you can get away with in violence as long as no one says the f-word. Investigating the entertainment industry over these shootings however is like freaking out over your hair after breaking a leg.

There are no laws about age restrictions for film or games, it's all policies that stores decide on. It's already been put to court about trying to make legal restrictions on games and all it did was cost taxpayers money.

01 January 2013
Classic advertising theory says that if you want people to like something, you saturate them in it.

If you want to get people to buy Pepsi, you make sure people see Pepsi in film, on TV, at concerts, online, and in magazines. If you want to get people to eat your chocolate, you buy lots of advertising space showcasing attractive women and attractive men seductively eating your chocolate.

A trillion dollar advertising industry supports this theory.

So to say that violent media content has no effect on people's minds is ridiculous.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: So to say that violent media content has no effect on people's minds is ridiculous.

99.99999999999999% of people who play Call of Duty don't go on killing sprees.

Blaming the media is scapegoating to avoid the real problems, which are rooted in culture and society.

But we had this discussion in a long thread a few weeks back and there's really no reason to repeat it.

Thread Closed share thread