9 Amazing Short Films That Will One Day Be Feature Films

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
9 Amazing Short Films That Will One Day Be Feature Films

Quote:
"This week Guillermo Del Toro unleashes the creepy, intense monster movie Mama into the world. But few people know that this project was actually inspired on the creepy short from Andrés Muschietti. In fact, the original two minute and 30 second short is what made GDT support Muschietti as director of the full-length movie. And that's not the only short film that's set to spawn a full-length version.
Here are 9 amazing short films that have been picked up to become full-fledged movies.
"

http://io9.com/5976533/9-amazing-sh...e-feature-films
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

01 January 2013
Wow, True Skin looks amazing! Someone's been reading some Peter F Hamilton (OC tattoos) ;-)

Maybe the colours are a bit over the top (in the future do we really not notice we're wearing fluoro pink and yellow together?) It'd be cooler if the serious characters had more monochrome and the party people were the ultra colourful ones.

01 January 2013
Some of the shorts on this list are very old....

"R'ha" is the obvious new one generating a craze so it's on this list.
But some of these were announced years ago.

I can empathize with the media hype going "Everything's going to happen very soon on all these short films!" But it's just not that fast....

Hope there's enough energy in the older ones to really get moving.

01 January 2013
I've seen some of these long ago and just glanced at a couple of newer ones, but the overall visual quality level of these is truly outstanding. Some of the visuals and themes here are so far beyond what is being done in commercial films that it's almost shocking. This is like getting to see The Matrix 5 years before it first came out.

01 January 2013
It seems these days "if you build it they will come"! Surprised why more folks ain't letting their powers combine and do more of these things. Oh well.

Cool list though. Thanks. Go Rh' a

01 January 2013
I think it's more a case of if you build it, and it is big and awesome and has wow factor they will come. How many hundreds of other subtle, simple, emotional shorts are not being talked about? Nearly every one of these is blockbuster material, should it be made into a feature.

It makes me curious. I don't know how much money is spent on these, but I wonder why SyFy isn't doing this kind of quality or material, considering that they do spend money on theirs.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: I think it's more a case of if you build it, and it is big and awesome and has wow factor they will come.

You have no idea how true this statement is.

01 January 2013
The Gate was really amazing. Cant believe I missed it.

I love the suits of armor, and the fact that they felt big and clunky...a very 80's aesthetic, but with the modern curves and rounded edges.

Also very cool creature design.

01 January 2013
I'm also waiting to see the full feature of Ruin by Wes Ball . Apparently has been picked up already

Last edited by entropymachine : 01 January 2013 at 10:28 AM.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: Maybe the colours are a bit over the top (in the future do we really not notice we're wearing fluoro pink and yellow together?)

Guess you didn't live through the 80s.

01 January 2013
I seen the clip for Archetype ages ago and was hoping a movie would come out of it.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: I seen the clip for Archetype ages ago and was hoping a movie would come out of it.

But there is zero story here so how the hell do you decide - yup this is worth another 90 minutes of watching time. I just dont get some of these pickups.

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by vfx: But there is zero story here so how the hell do you decide - yup this is worth another 90 minutes of watching time. I just dont get some of these pickups.

The real test occurs after the deals are signed for these guys...

Because that's exactly the question you have to answer.
"Can we make this a worthwhile 90 minutes on screen?"

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by cookepuss: Guess you didn't live through the 80s.

I actually had fluoro pink and yellow socks back then. I was a massive nerd though...

01 January 2013
Looked at a few
Archetype, the Gate, the Vessel

I liked how the first put storyboards into the credits though I agree with the comments in the page that you shouldnt interrogate a big cyborg soldier with mental problems when they are able bodied enough to respond violently.
I cant say the story of a renegade cyborg soldier on the run in a futuristic city really appeals that much to me--depends on other factors not established in such a brief short.

I liked the restraint of the mutations encounters shown in the Gate that they werent shown 100 in number running about . The simplicity made me more interested in watching though the talking heads part didnt appeal to me.
I hope it isnt a District 9 meets X-men kind of story. The Gate suggests some opening into another dimension to me(I lost interest in the conversation so didnt pay attention to all of it).

I felt the character designs were familiar-looking, kind of generic in all three but that could change.
The Vessel and the Gate could go into interesting directions.
The Vessel could be a Nightmare on 20 000 feet meets the Thing meets Executive Decision on the inside of a plane--I'd probably watch it. Doesnt feel like a blockbuster material unless there are alien-infected airplanes weaving through skyscrapers or something to that effect.

Seems like the studios wont take pitches from professional screenwriters when it comes to original fantasy and sci-fi anymore and they will only field proof of concept videos.

Thread Closed share thread