A push in the right direction

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Question A push in the right direction

Hello to who ever reads this post.

I am writing this on behalf of myself and many more people who are probably in the same or similar position.

I am very eager to get a career in Interactive Digital Media that said mostly aiming for weapon/item Modeling.

Now I have done a lot of reading in the last two years about the subject modeling and have noticed I have to go for one path in modeling Eg. Weapon Modeling, Character Modeling, Map Modeling and so on, That aside I am also doing drawing (of course) and I have The Andrew Loomis Series that I am reading at the moment and also learning with Autodesk Maya and Mudbox and I am also learning Photoshop and Illistrator but at the moment I am sticking to learning what I need to know for Maya I am using the starter tutorial from Autodesk at the moment.

Now with all that said the reason why I can not go to school to learn the subject because I Tried 2 years ago and with a lot of personal issues at home that have not changed I had to stop attending and yes it was a shattering dream but I have gone past that time and I have come to realize how badly I want to become a 3d modeler for a company and for my career but I am unable to attend school hours while working full time.

And now being it is a new year I would like some advice on where to start this journey because at the moment being almost 24 years old soon I want to see myself atleast pushing my own models by the age of 30 and the big question i ask is with all this said what is the best option for myself to achieve the goal of becoming a 3d weapon modeler of course i am expecting questions so if something that you need to know has been left out i will happely reply with answers.

So bottom line question is I need good sources/links or even tips for a good path to become a weapon modeler.

Thank you for reading and I hope what I am asking makes sense.

Also If anyone has any helpful information like tips, tutorials and so on I am happy to accept that as well.

Edit: I also am looking into online course to do with interactive digital media or something similier to help with modeling and what ever is attached.

Last edited by Squida : 01 January 2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Extra Information

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Hey man,

If you really just want to make models, download Blender at http://www.blender.org/, Google image search for some reference or use your own sketches, and start laying down some edge loops. No need to go to school, or pay for expensive DVDs.

Its important to develop a good sense of proportion and edge loop flow. I wouldn't stress out about learning a particular application at this point, and just go with what's free.

(This thread might be a better fit on the modelling forum)

-AJ

Old 01 January 2013   #3
You can't really make a "career" out of modelling just weapons. You're really going to have to broaden your scope a lot more if you do intend to make a living doing modelling.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
I think Leigh is right. The highest specialization level you could have job-wise, based on your interests, would be Hard Surface Modeler, which includes weapons, vehicles, etc. And i think you'd need to be great doing it to get such a specialized position, otherwise get ready for even some organic modeling when needed. But once you get the techniques and modeling principles right you'll realize they are applied to anything you build.

I'd say make your own small projects, define an objective and learn while you do it, start by proactively using what you study and you'll soon realize its much easier that way than just studying a program, specially if you're trying to learn 4 at a time. Concept something in Photoshop, model it in Maya, refine it in Mudbox, texture it with Photoshop. Something like this will help you learn those because you are using it for a purpose, not just browsing a manual or watching a tutorial for hours without using the knowledge.

Don't be afraid to fail, that's how you learn and the Web is here for you to improve and ask questions. Get inspired! Watch all the "making of"s you can, browse this forum and its sub-sections, you got the top CG artists around, which have helped me a lot in both learning about the industry and technical issues. Make connections and try to meet people in the area and when you feel ready start building your portfolio and eventually apply for jobs. If you get lucky you may even get an entry level position and learn while at work, as long as you show potential and ability to work and learn. Good Luck.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
thanks for all the replys it has been a good help for me so again thank you of course any further information anyone has please do post in this thanks

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Go over to the mini challenges section and join the next "hardcore modeling challenge". They're usually 1 - 2 month long challenges that focus on creating 1 (or more) model(s) dealing with a given subject on a professional timeline. Don't be intimidated though, it's healthy competition and no one will put you down or give you anything other than guidance. I've done 2 challenges now and for me it's not even really about the competition, but rather a great way to push yourself to finish a project which always yields improved skills as well as a good portfolio piece in the end.

This last was was focused on vehicles from films. It just finished about a week ago so a new one should be starting sometime within the next 2 - 3 weeks. Come check it out.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Originally Posted by leigh: You can't really make a "career" out of modelling just weapons. You're really going to have to broaden your scope a lot more if you do intend to make a living doing modelling.

Well I see what your trying to say but I have already got enough information that you certainly can get a career, Just got to know the people with the right connections and also just for argument sake, My teacher when I was doing interactive digital media before we even got started was talking about career paths in the defense force under weapons development or scientific modeling for blueprints and so on and there's even positions in the science industry regarding research and development company's that hire modelers for putting there idea in 3d form hence why I even started this post.

And

Originally Posted by mlager8: Go over to the mini challenges section and join the next "hardcore modeling challenge". They're usually 1 - 2 month long challenges that focus on creating 1 (or more) model(s) dealing with a given subject on a professional timeline. Don't be intimidated though, it's healthy competition and no one will put you down or give you anything other than guidance. I've done 2 challenges now and for me it's not even really about the competition, but rather a great way to push yourself to finish a project which always yields improved skills as well as a good portfolio piece in the end.

This last was was focused on vehicles from films. It just finished about a week ago so a new one should be starting sometime within the next 2 - 3 weeks. Come check it out.

I am not even that experienced to be doing something like that, To much pressure with the due dates I am new to this but can model but not finishing for rendering because not that far into tutorials.

Also the tutorial I am viewing for maya at the moment is:

Digital.TutorsIntroduction.to.Maya.2012

Last edited by Squida : 01 January 2013 at 07:32 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Well I see what your trying to say but I have already got enough information that you certainly can get a career, Just got to know the people with the right connections and also just for argument sake, My teacher when I was doing interactive digital media before we even got started was talking about career paths in the defense force under weapons development or scientific modeling for blueprints and so on and there's even positions in the science industry regarding research and development company's that hire modelers for putting there idea in 3d form hence why I even started this post.

Dude, full stops. Use them.

Yes there are jobs out there where people will pay you for making 3D objects. That isn't necessarily a career, and it certainly isn't the kind of thing where you'll be asked to make one type of item. You'll be expected to be a good modeller. That's it. They'll expect you to have the skills to make anything they can show you. So, Leigh's advice is key.

Don't get too hung up on the types of jobs people mention.

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Originally Posted by Squida: Well I see what your trying to say but I have already got enough information that you certainly can get a career, Just got to know the people with the right connections and also just for argument sake, My teacher when I was doing interactive digital media before we even got started was talking about career paths in the defense force under weapons development or scientific modeling for blueprints and so on and there's even positions in the science industry regarding research and development company's that hire modelers for putting there idea in 3d form hence why I even started this post.

Good luck with that. You may find the reality of it is a little different to what your teacher told you. It makes more sense to widen your target area of work, as other posters suggested. Some of them have been there and it makes sense to take their advice on board.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
What the other guys said, there's a difference between a couple of jobs/paid gigs and a career.

There's a career in scientific visualization, in architectural vizualisation, in automotive design, in VFX, in concept drawing...

But to take an analogy, in archviz, it'd be like saying "I only want to do chairs".

Focusing on weapons and maps etc... It seems you have video games in mind more than anything else.

You could be hired to make all the weapons on a sci-fi game and make some money, but it's not a career, that's a project. Life isn't all about weapons, and so is 3D, and you need to find another project afteward to keep eating, so you have to broaden your spectrum.

Hard surface modeling (including buildings, vehicles, weapons, all kinds of man-made equipments etc...) is the closest thing to make a carreer. If video-games are your ambition, investigate low-poly modelling and related techniques (normal maps, Levels of detail etc...).

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Squida: Well I see what your trying to say but I have already got enough information that you certainly can get a career, Just got to know the people with the right connections and also just for argument sake, My teacher when I was doing interactive digital media before we even got started was talking about career paths in the defense force under weapons development or scientific modeling for blueprints and so on and there's even positions in the science industry regarding research and development company's that hire modelers for putting there idea in 3d form hence why I even started this post.

A career as a Technical CAD drafter maybe. Using one of the many specialized 3d packages to produce technical drawings for the manufacture of products I could see as a possibility. You have to remember though the design is done by engineers. CAD and such are just tools used to achieve a goal. I know Australia is going to be working on building there next generation of submarines. I think Thales are building them so it might be a good idea to hit the HR department up and see what they say.

Unfortunately there is no career to be had just using Maya to make visuals of weapons and even if there was those jobs would be few are far between. You would therefore be specializing yourself into extinction.

b

Old 02 February 2013   #12
Thanks for all your feedback.

Sorry I have been away for awhile, had no internet access. Also I have been playing a game called Garrysmod and I am wanting to do Item and weapon modeling for the game just for some minor projects with maya if i can use maya with garrysmod if there are any helpfull links for it because i am finding hard to find information on how to make models with maya if its possible and put them in the game called Garrysmod.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02 February 2013   #13

And

I am not even that experienced to be doing something like that, To much pressure with the due dates I am new to this but can model but not finishing for rendering because not that far into tutorials.

Also the tutorial I am viewing for maya at the moment is:

Digital.TutorsIntroduction.to.Maya.2012

Real life wont be like that. Good luck

Old 02 February 2013   #14
FYI any sort of blueprint or "scientific modeling" is going to need to be precise and will certainly employ traditional spline CAD techniques and would never be left up to box modeling in maya.

Old 02 February 2013   #15
Yeah its been stated about the careers I understand that now but thats later on in future anyway all i want to do is model weapons and items for gmod and if i can use maya in doing just that for now

Thread Closed share thread