Potential client upset at my estimate.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Potential client upset at my estimate.

I think I just burned a bridge by submitting an estimate for a project totaling $18,500. The project has 50+ shots shot on green, camera tracking is needed full CGI background and some minor animated characters. Does this sound unreasonable for a VFX Indie film budget with a B list celebrity name attached?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Originally Posted by grundelboy: I think I just burned a bridge by submitting an estimate for a project totaling $18,500. The project has 50+ shots shot on green, camera tracking is needed full CGI background and some minor animated characters. Does this sound unreasonable for a VFX Indie film budget with a B list celebrity name attached?

Don't all of them want everything done for ~$200?
Really though, sounds like 18k is an underestimate, depending on complexity of course

Old 01 January 2013   #3
You were unrealistically low?

Old 01 January 2013   #4
I feel like I was giving a HUGE price break because this guys is just starting out and I want to see him make it.

Last edited by grundelboy : 01 January 2013 at 05:17 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Lowering the price to avoid losing the work is generally how a lot of this industry has gone down the toilet.

Hard to stick to some days, but I do like the axiom that you should never do a job for an amount you'll be upset about.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Originally Posted by hypercube: Lowering the price to avoid losing the work is generally how a lot of this industry has gone down the toilet.

Hard to stick to some days, but I do like the axiom that you should never do a job for an amount you'll be upset about.

Great philosophy! It's going on my wall of quotes. Just above " Never burn your bridges till your enemies are on them" - unknown

Old 01 January 2013   #7
How are you burning a bridge that was never built?

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Nah forget that quote it's a gaming reference. But I think it can apply to the business world as well. However it doesn't fit this situation. Great now I feel like Ron Burgundy " When in rome "

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Originally Posted by goodshoes: How are you burning a bridge that was never built?

Agreed.

I do wonder how much he will be paying to rent the Lights, and camera equipment that the production WILL NEED.
Will he(or she) be upset at the lighting company for also asking for a fair amount?

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01 January 2013   #10
I would have bid 65K easily. Green screen keying work and camera matching can be a bear and that alone would eat up the 18K you bid. Sounds to me like you aren't doing this guy any favors by cutting him a break because then he'll ask for it every time and expect it from other studios. Then those guys will laugh him away and it will do more harm in the long run.

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Originally Posted by grundelboy: I feel like I was giving a HUGE price break because this guys is just starting out and I want to see him make it.

If he has no experience, he probably has no concept of how much he felt he should be spending. He probably rejected ALL the offers and has gone back to planning.

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Even Asylum, or SyFy type places I worked, on their cheapest day, would be more than double that! You gave the guy a steal! He didn't accept. Wait and see what his film looks like when it is done. You will laugh.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 01 January 2013   #13
Could have been just an act to push the price even lower. Typical negotiation crap.

Old 01 January 2013   #14
the bid is indeed low for what is asked - on the other hand we don´t know anything about the project itself.
If probably the actors play for free (or for food and travel costs), equipment comes from university or friends, if it simply is an almost no-money project, then they for sure can´t pay you the requested amount.

This would be a case of misscommunication.

Old 01 January 2013   #15
And you will be suitably hurt and embarrassed by their reaction at the same time amazed that they hadnt picked up on the fact that they were getting a great discount.

Seriously this is never a nice situation but these folks are probably farming for quotes, everywhere.

Thread Closed share thread