Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #31
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

sorry,.. i'm not buying the "lack of AI" development today thing.

Kynapse is pretty cool.. and as everything, it comes down to time, money, and quality.. each of which is a finite balance.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #32
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules123
Ah ha, this threads got the thinking juices flowing.

To do the holodeck, I think we have tech that is close today to be able to do it today:

VR helmets; Oculus Rift etc.

AI; Go to Alice here . It's pretty good

Speech recognition; Getting pretty good. Have a look at this Microsoft demo here

Real-time ray tracing for graphics; Look at my first post on this thread, uh hum say no more. Of course OpenSubdiv and others.

Omni-directional treadmill; Should have one in every home link here .

Motion capture recognition; Kinect of course.

Probably need a movie script writer as well as a game designer. Some easy way to automatically translate the script into holodeck assets within game designer parameters.

There we have it, holodeck done.

Cheers,
Jules

I see so you only meant VISUALLY.
OK that sounds somewhat promising. But I think helmets will be regarded with the same derision as "3d Glasses"... The higher goal would most likely be to do it without helmets.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #33
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

I must be one of the few people who just never got into multiplayer gaming.
Sure, I attended the occasional LAN a few years back, and played Starcraft using a printer cable-but...I just prefer the single player experience.

The most fun in a game I've had in the last few years has been with the Modern Warfares, and DeadSpace single players. I haven't even played MW as a multiplayer game.

My problem with multiplayer games is that the developers miss out on some amazing single player opportunities, because they are so focused on the longevity that multiplayer gives a game.

Take the (hopefully coming soon) Aliens: Colonial Marines. Now if there was ever a game that should have a highly focused, and truly terrifying single player campaign, this is it. Aliens, with the engine and game play of Amnesia...I would sell an organ for that game. But instead, we have a game that's obviously geared towards a multiplayer experience...what an absolutely wasted opportunity!

I'm still holding out for DeadSpace 3...and just praying that they don't screw the pooch there.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #34
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
The Brotherhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
I see so you only meant VISUALLY.
OK that sounds somewhat promising. But I think helmets will be regarded with the same derision as "3d Glasses"... The higher goal would most likely be to do it without helmets.

Like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY ?

Damn, I may change my opinion on Multiplayer games if I had this....

Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke

Take the (hopefully coming soon) Aliens: Colonial Marines. Now if there was ever a game that should have a highly focused, and truly terrifying single player campaign, this is it. Aliens, with the engine and game play of Amnesia...I would sell an organ for that game. But instead, we have a game that's obviously geared towards a multiplayer experience...what an absolutely wasted opportunity!

I'm still holding out for DeadSpace 3...and just praying that they don't screw the pooch there.

That's my point with all this "super-reality" talk.. I mean if ALIENS becomes too real or Dead Space becomes too real.. then I honestly think it will actually lead to reduced purchases.

I finished Colonial Marines, and I did Dead Space Extraction.

But if it's too real? I'd be too scared to play, never mind put money down so I could suffer brain damage and insomnia and be traumatized for life....

Do people really want to hook themselves up.. go to the Nostromo and find out which one of you is the first to wet his pants for real? :P

BUT - If it is only as real as that Battlefield 3 Simulator? Then I'm taking the first flight to the Alien Queen's hive.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01-15-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #36
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
BF3 is plenty real to me- minus the re-pawn LOL. The sound, the visuals, the large maps, the details and textures. I just feel that the weapon physics seem more realistic to their capabilities in Counterstrike. I also like the game modes where you only get one life per round, makes you think more tactically (like ol school Americas Army).

Planet Side 2 is too dang BIG. If I was a teen then I could prob get into more because I would have more time but nowadays I wanna get in and get out, unless it's a single player game mode with an engrossing story, good AI, different settings and natural character controls.

Another good single player game that I went thru, although it did get a little repetitive with some of the bad guys but not as much as most games, was Batman Arkham Asylum.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #37
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
That's my point with all this "super-reality" talk.. I mean if ALIENS becomes too real or Dead Space becomes too real.. then I honestly think it will actually lead to reduced purchases.

I finished Colonial Marines, and I did Dead Space Extraction.

But if it's too real? I'd be too scared to play, never mind put money down so I could suffer brain damage and insomnia and be traumatized for life....

Do people really want to hook themselves up.. go to the Nostromo and find out which one of you is the first to wet his pants for real? :P

BUT - If it is only as real as that Battlefield 3 Simulator? Then I'm taking the first flight to the Alien Queen's hive.

I honestly don't think most people are that sensitive and scared of life.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
The Brotherhood

Quote:

As someone who loves horror films, and took 6 months to finish Amnesia, I can say that I'm someone who enjoys being scared.
That said, I would see 'hyper real' gaming as more akin to a lucid dream than reality. You know its safe. You know you aren't really there. That's the fun of computer games! I cant ever imagine gaming getting to the point of Harsh Realm or Inception for the same reason that people who play Battlefield aren't out on the Paintball or Air soft fields-people enjoy games for different reasons to reality.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #39
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
Everyone has a breaking point, everyone deals differently and everyone heals at a different rate.

Last edited by CKPinson : 01-15-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Quote:

I disagree. While getting rid of the helmets would be great, the helmets are filling your view, peripheral and everything, with the game, which alone would make for a huge difference in experience.

But as well as that turning your head transfers as looking around in the game, something else I think is huge. So it's a much bigger leap than 3d glasses, in my opinion.

As far as realism- I'm pretty sure no matter how real games look, the fact that we know it's not real will make all the difference. As someone previously mentioned, much like lucid dreaming.

It's why I can watch the landing at Normandy in Saving Private Ryan, be moved and disturbed during it, but leave without PTSD. Seeing a single person get shot in real life would probably change me forever. (though this is creeping into the games cause violence discussion we had earlier)

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 01-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

I dont know about that lucid dreaming, question is...how do you know it would be?

And what if it was, how would you know that a violent act that's performed on you, wouldn't change you? Eg Nostromo - impaled by alien.

I dont think i'd sign up for the beta on that one.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #42
-SD-
Frequenter

Just passing by...
Fiji

Gameplay getting boring? In AAA games? For the most part, AAA games have been in a sad, sad state for years now.

Luckily we have the PC indie scene, otherwise I'd have lost hope in games long ago.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #43
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SD-
Gameplay getting boring? In AAA games? For the most part, AAA games have been in a sad, sad state for years now.

Luckily we have the PC indie scene, otherwise I'd have lost hope in games long ago.

I did... about ten years ago. My last foray into games was when I bought an old and busted, used PS2 just to play Shadow of the Colossus. After that, I have only been a spectator, in awe of the graphic advances, but never playing.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #44
MattRennie
Know-it-All

portfolio
Matt Rennie
Sr. Character Rigger / TA
Rockstar North
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Awesome graphics + awesome AI - pretty tricky to do.

As with everything in games development its about balancing your resources.

If you have small simple maps then yeah you have more to spend on processor intensive AI routines, but who wants small maps?

People will then just complain that your maps are tiny and totally miss the point that the AI in them is awesome!

If you want large maps then something has to give, so it's either the graphics/animation or the AI.

So the position we find ourselves in, is that we have to TRY to hit a middle ground for everything, sometime certain things are seen as a requirement for the game youre doing so this balancing gets slightly skewed.

/my2cents

Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #45
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Indie games do absolutely nothing for me. The feel so small and cheap, I don't see what the fascination is about. They feel like free flash games.
What are some of the best indie games? Maybe I have not seen the good ones?

Thread Closed share thread