Real-time graphics and AI in games not getting better? Gameplay is getting boring?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: While I love multiplayer too, I think you may be missing a few gems. There are games out there with great storytelling, tactics and interesting AI. Dishonoured is an excellent example of this.

I keep hearing great things about Dishonored, I need some time to try it.
There are exceptions for me, Like Skyrim. Even though the AI is ridiculously stupid and unrealistic, I will still play it.

An example of what I can't stand anymore: I played a co-op mission of Battlefield 3 with a friend where we were in a attack helicopter providing air support over a village. We were in the air for 15-20 minutes free to roam and do anything we pleased, it was just like shooting fish in a barrel. They just keep coming like cattle to a slaughter.
Where on multiplayer you are a beast if you are in the air 5 minutes, and you are constantly getting hit or dodging anti air fire.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: I keep hearing great things about Dishonored, I need some time to try it.
There are exceptions for me, Like Skyrim. Even though the AI is ridiculously stupid and unrealistic, I will still play it.

Dishonored is incredible. It's the most original and innovative game I've played in years. I've actually finished the entire game three times, playing it completely differently each time - the level design is astonishing, providing so many ways to move through it. The artwork is stunning as well, really painterly with a great colour palette. The gameplay also changes quite a bit depending on how violent you are, which is interesting. I won't spoil it by posting more info but it's definitely a game you'll want to play through at least twice. You'll see why.

I love Skyrim too. It's a mindless grind but for some reason I keep going back to it. I guess I like the world.

Quote: An example of what I can't stand anymore: I played a co-op mission of Battlefield 3 with a friend where we were in a attack helicopter providing air support over a village. We were in the air for 15-20 minutes free to roam and do anything we pleased, it was just like shooting fish in a barrel. They just keep coming like cattle to a slaughter.
Where on multiplayer you are a beast if you are in the air 5 minutes, and you are constantly getting hit or dodging anti air fire.

I remember that mission. But honestly, who buys Battlefield for the campaign? It's first and foremost a multiplayer game (the best military multiplayer shooter, in my opinion). I've always played the campaign just for lolz.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Cromfel: .......How many of us have seen a dream that felt so real?........

Well I've had a few dreams that felt absolutely real, usually after a late curry and beer. Wow that combination has often woken me up screaming from a bad dream!

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: I played a co-op mission of Battlefield 3 with a friend where we were in a attack helicopter providing air support over a village. We were in the air for 15-20 minutes free to roam and do anything we pleased, it was just like shooting fish in a barrel. They just keep coming like cattle to a slaughter.

Remember that one, but also how frustrating it was to do it on a random server pairing without people/me crashing the chopper 3009x before getting the hang of it

01 January 2013
I like a nice mix of single and multiplayer games and prefer them separate but some get it right with both, at least to a degree (halo 4, sports games kinda, and starcraft II)! I dont like buying a multiplayer game to be forced through the single player mode to get the unlocks.

Dishonored was very good, original and creative
New Tombraider had promise but they had to add multiplayer

only single and multiplayer games that have both i am looking forward to are Aliens Colonial Marines and Starcraft II expansion. (maybe i missed something)

My fav multiplayers currently are Counterstrike Global Offensive and NHL 13 on xbox.

Fav single player recently was prob dishonored.

01 January 2013
The great thing about Dishonored: Quick load times, engaging gameplay, nice level design, good art direction (the look reminds me of HalfLife 2), you can actually save games anytime (I really, really hate checkpoint-based autosave-only that is in many console ports), and it runs beautifully smooth on my mid-range core i5 laptop at HD resolutions, while many less optimized PC games simply don't... at least not without turning down all sorts of graphics details.

The bad thing about Dishonored? The game is too short in my opinion. It ends just when you get good gear and upgrades, and think that things are going to get really, really good. Another 3 - 4 missions to play through would have been great. I guess they are saving that for the DLC pack...

I guess I'll have to play Dishonored one more time to try to get all the good stuff in the game.

01 January 2013
About dishonored, the whole Thief series (which Dishonored is based upon) is awesome in style and content! Simply sublime material.

01 January 2013
Quote: ZBrush monsters around in real time

Problem almost solved : Mudbox Monster

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: Well I've had a few dreams that felt absolutely real, usually after a late curry and beer. Wow that combination has often woken me up screaming from a bad dream!

I had this super-real dream once where I was in a holodeck style shooter game... and it was like Black Hawk Down... and I basically died like one of the pilots did.. bleeding half to death with just a pistol while the angry mob is coming at you with all manner of knives and things?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_1-Bb_KaDQ

I do NOT want to play that game again..... In fact that experience made me think I do NOT want a holodeck game at all!

What's the point anyway? So people could be scared stupid of action games? So that you'd need to go through Special Forces training to actually finish levels in Holodeck Counterstrike? Or how about Holodeck Double Dragon so you can die miserably at the hands of Abobo as he bashes your skull in with his bare fists? Can you imagine trying to make jumps in Super Mario Holodeck and then you fall 10,000 feet first to die?

The only things that would benefit as holodeck games are erotica.... but once you get to the ones that involve crimes of passion and jealous lovers or husbands... And one of them bursts into the room while you're doing the deed and he has a large hunting knife and he's yelling: "Heeere's Johnny!" - you're back to distressing the player again! lol!

Point: We do want graphics to progress.... But Games should remain Games only.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01 January 2013 at 12:49 AM.

01 January 2013
Ah ha, this threads got the thinking juices flowing.

To do the holodeck, I think we have tech that is close today to be able to do it today:

VR helmets; Oculus Rift etc.

AI; Go to Alice here . It's pretty good

Speech recognition; Getting pretty good. Have a look at this Microsoft demo here

Real-time ray tracing for graphics; Look at my first post on this thread, uh hum say no more. Of course OpenSubdiv and others.

Omni-directional treadmill; Should have one in every home link here .

Motion capture recognition; Kinect of course.

Probably need a movie script writer as well as a game designer. Some easy way to automatically translate the script into holodeck assets within game designer parameters.

There we have it, holodeck done.

Cheers,
Jules

Last edited by Jules123 : 01 January 2013 at 01:18 AM.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by paintbox: About dishonored, the whole Thief series (which Dishonored is based upon) is awesome in style and content! Simply sublime material.

Yeah the Thief series was fantastic. I wish a developer would revive it.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by DePaint: Have you tried approaching Intel/AMD/Nvidia with your raytrace engine?

If it performs well - the video suggests that it does - maybe they might show some interest in hardware-accelerating it?

What I would do if I were you would be to create some realtime raytracing demos that are more interesting and complex, visually, than the one you put up online.

I assume that raster graphics and raytracing can be mixed in a hybrid engine?

I.e. you only raytrace stuff that really needs it - reflections, refractions and so on...

Thanks DePaint for the great encouragement.

The real tech demo is coming. I'm wanting to prove that the engine can be used as a replacement/or compliment to post production graphics in films. I have teamed up with a company who have worked camera VR technology on major motion pictures. It will be a green screen studio shoot for a fantasy time travel short film where the entire world/background and some foreground objects are rendered in CG. I will be taking all the assets and displaying them in real-time with live actor performances, using real-time chroma keying. So stay tuned!!

Good idea, I will send off a message to NVIDIA's ray tracing team. They'd be at least interested in seeing other people's progress.

Yes, it is a hybrid engine; ray tracing used only when needed, e.g. reflection/refractions, indirect lighting, caustics etc.

Cheers,
Jules

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Jules123: Ah ha, this threads got the thinking juices flowing.

To do the holodeck, I think we have tech that is close today to be able to do it today:

This is somewhat close to what your talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQR49JGySTM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY

Last edited by BigPixolin : 01 January 2013 at 03:03 AM.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: Dishonored is incredible. It's the most original and innovative game I've played in years. I've actually finished the entire game three times, playing it completely differently each time - the level design is astonishing, providing so many ways to move through it. The artwork is stunning as well, really painterly with a great colour palette. The gameplay also changes quite a bit depending on how violent you are, which is interesting. I won't spoil it by posting more info but it's definitely a game you'll want to play through at least twice. You'll see why.

I love Skyrim too. It's a mindless grind but for some reason I keep going back to it. I guess I like the world.

I remember that mission. But honestly, who buys Battlefield for the campaign? It's first and foremost a multiplayer game (the best military multiplayer shooter, in my opinion). I've always played the campaign just for lolz.

I am definitely going to get Dishonored.
I certainly don't play Battlefield for the single player missions, I never even played one of the campaign missions. That was the only co-op mission I played also, just was a example of the difference of AI and human.

01 January 2013
Who needs AI when you can play against real people..

Thread Closed share thread