Cartoon Brew: Animation Dominates The Top 20 Highest Grossing Features of 2012

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz:
If Paranorman were to win the Oscar, it would garanthee a great after life in the home video market.

And yes the ending was controversial, that is why it has a chance to win the Oscar.
If the academy goes safe this year they will give it to Brave.

Paranorman is not winning the Oscar. Half the time I don't think the Academy even watches these movies, they see Pixar and they just give them the award. I was completely surprised that Brave won the Golden Globes last night as I thought it didn't deserve it. It was a good movie but it wasn't great and some of the other movies were much better imo.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Apoclypse: Paranorman is not winning the Oscar. Half the time I don't think the Academy even watches these movies, they see Pixar and they just give them the award. I was completely surprised that Brave won the Golden Globes last night as I thought it didn't deserve it. It was a good movie but it wasn't great and some of the other movies were much better imo.

I know...
And I thought exactly that last night when I saw the Golden Globes.
But if there is any justice on this World, I would give it to Paranorman.
Hell I will settle with Wreck it Ralph.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: I know...
And I thought exactly that last night when I saw the Golden Globes.
But if there is any justice on this World, I would give it to Paranorman.
Hell I will settle with Wreck it Ralph.

I'd give it to Paranorman. But if I can't, I'd give it to Rise of the Guardian. It talk about death, loneliness, teamwork, faith, etc, and do have some sad scenes. For me, it have a lot of great moment.

While when it come to Wreck, the only great moment for me is the punch down. And that's it.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: Don't Transporter films live off the long tail. I thought I read before that they gross like $30 mil at the box office and then rake in $90mil on home video.

You really need to check on the studio. It's Luc Besson studio. And it past the break even straight at the box office. 21m/43m. So there is no loss, and any tail is a good bonus.

Paranorman isn't. They are short.

My point with the beatles copyright is that the original copyright owner (the studio side) was bid and sold. Whoever bid and win, get the tail (in this case, michael jackson).

So if Laika kept making losses (box office is less than double production cost + marketing), someday the copyright to their asset will be sold. And if there any long tail, who own it gets it. Hence, George Harrison(?)/Yoko Ono, if the rumor is true, was pissed off at MJ at a time.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by teruchan: Don't Transporter films live off the long tail. I thought I read before that they gross like $30 mil at the box office and then rake in $90mil on home video.

Yes, some films do this by design.

It's an interesting concept... where films can make their money back.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread