Healthy Working at the Computer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #46
Very cool! Thanks for posting some of those links and pictures everyone.

I'm thinking about switching to a treadmill and table set up myself. I've accualy lost some weight and strength from sitting down all the time. I've recently started doing some light resistance training and jogging to compensate, but it still looks like a great idea to walk while you work.

Old 01 January 2013   #47
Nothing new from me for this thread really, but I'll give you my own personal habits which I've built over the last couple of years. By day I'm a business analyst, by night an indie animator, so I'm in front of the computer almost 24/7. As I realized this is terrible for my health, I made changes and they do help substantially.

Weekdays:

For breakfast I eat a 2 cups of oatmeal with cinnamon, the old fashioned kind, made with hot water. Keeps me full until lunch, cuts down on snacking.

Lunch is a salad with no condiments. No lettuce, all vegetables.

Dinner is boiled vegetables with two eggs, or chicken, or fish, and a few soba noodles thrown in. No condiments on this but a teaspoon of sesame oil.

Then on the weekends, I can eat out, drink a beer or two, all that kinda thing without feeling guilty or feeling the effects.

Some people have asked if I get bored of these meals throughout the week, and the answer is yes, but once you get in the habit of making them, you know exactly what you need, what they cost, how long it takes to prepare, and the caloric intake per day that you are consuming. I also prepare enough salad for one week's lunch, then divide it into lunch size containers so they're ready to go each morning. You can also vary the vegetables...I love vegetables so that's fine with me. This also makes a dinner out on the weekend much more of a desirable thing. Getting to eat a steak for example, becomes a luxury thing.

For exercise, I have a treadmill in the room where my computer is, so if I'm ever watching a show or tutorial or something, I jump on there for a few minutes. I also do the pushup thing, it really does add up. Also have free weights. Nothing is better than taking a break and taking a walk though, I get my best ideas when I'm out on a brisk walk.

I do want to try the standing desk thing, I am going to make a DIY one using some lifter armatures when I have the time and money.

As far as social life, I don't have too much of that during the week because I'm an introvert anyway, and would prefer to work on my movie. I go out on the weekends instead and that works out just fine for me.

(edit)

Just about forgot, getting proper sleep is ESSENTIAL. I wind down right at 11:15 each night, and my alarm goes off in the morning at 7am. I try and keep this through the weekends as well, so far it's working great. I always have energy and don't need too much caffeine in the mornings.

On the topic of caffeine though, I do enjoy plain old loose leaf green tea, so I usually have a cup of that along with plenty of water throughout the day.

Last edited by ZephyrStar : 01 January 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #48
Originally Posted by manuqc: take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCQcmSQW9h4

If I do that first part of the video when I'm directing the creative crew, or expressing my frustration when they don't listen and fail complete a task as requested, that would surely scare the crap out of them and let them know I am passionate about my instructions. LOL

Old 01 January 2013   #49
Quote: For breakfast I eat a 2 cups of oatmeal with cinnamon, the old fashioned kind, made with hot water. Keeps me full until lunch, cuts down on snacking.

Lunch is a salad with no condiments. No lettuce, all vegetables.

Dinner is boiled vegetables with two eggs, or chicken, or fish, and a few soba noodles thrown in. No condiments on this but a teaspoon of sesame oil.

sounds awesome, i just started doing something similar myself. I got one of those fitness apps that help with calorie counting for everything i eat and so far so good. hopefully i can do the same thing during the weekend but without going overboard.

Old 01 January 2013   #51
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d: If I do that first part of the video when I'm directing the creative crew, or expressing my frustration when they don't listen and fail complete a task as requested, that would surely scare the crap out of them and let them know I am passionate about my instructions. LOL
haha

I am not sure is this is really related to this thread but might be useful, and the speaker dude makes it also fun to watch: uprooting the lead causes of death

Old 01 January 2013   #52
Originally Posted by manuqc: haha

I am not sure is this is really related to this thread but might be useful, and the speaker dude makes it also fun to watch: uprooting the lead causes of death

Thanks! That was good.

Old 01 January 2013   #53
That was a brilliant presentation

Old 01 January 2013   #54
glad you find it interesting, that dude is really funny, you might like this one as well. I am not vegan myself.. but surely that kind of information helps to at least take in consideration other options or make a mix of dietary styles

Old 01 January 2013   #55
Originally Posted by entropymachine: Just hope your treadmills don't arrive like this

Haha, damn, yeah, as a note, your best bet is to order in your LOCAL area, no handler likes having to toss around anyone's heavy odd shaped box, multiply this by the distance, just like when you poorly package your bike to take on a plane..."your gonna have a bad time".

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Old 01 January 2013   #56
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: sounds awesome, i just started doing something similar myself. I got one of those fitness apps that help with calorie counting for everything i eat and so far so good. hopefully i can do the same thing during the weekend but without going overboard.

Yup, so far I lost 30lbs doing this, so now I'm back to where I should weigh for my weight and age. The other thing that surprised me is just how much energy I have eating what I would have considered at one time to be relatively little. Calorie counting is always good, and once you get in the habit of this you don't really think too much about it. Good rule of thumb:

For veggies and fruit, eat about what you can hold in both your cupped palms as a serving.
For meats eat about what you can hold in one cupped palm as a serving.
For sweets/oils, eat about the volume of your thumb.

Helps me measure when I go out to eat and they bring me a gallon of spaghetti @_@

Old 01 January 2013   #57
Quote: For veggies and fruit, eat about what you can hold in both your cupped palms as a serving.
For meats eat about what you can hold in one cupped palm as a serving.
For sweets/oils, eat about the volume of your thumb.

Helps me measure when I go out to eat and they bring me a gallon of spaghetti @_@

thanks for the tips

Old 01 January 2013   #58
Well I can tell you that consistent exercise and a high protein/low carb (slow carb-veggies/fruit and no breads or chips, sugar crap, etc.) meal plan still works a thousand years later (tons of beans, peanut butter, nuts, and whey protein shakes for vegetarians). I am about to be 40 and a former college athlete and physical trainer and my body fat percentage and weight is only up from when I was 18 about 2% and 7 pounds. I don't even exercise all that often, I'm just consistent about 3 hours a week of anaerobic (resistance weight training) and aerobic combined. I sit about 10 hours a day setting up lectures or giving them, so you can't get much more sedimentary at a workplace. The treadmill at the desk is a neat idea but I think personally I'd go bananas, kudos to the users however. Also, there was a year where I tried to actually become a real professor and write grants and shit and didn't exercise nearly at all and ate mostly vending machine junk and I put on 15+ pounds and 10% more body fat, so it's not all genetics either.
The big thing for me was to get into cooking and start to love the actual taste of real food and not salt and sugar that society wants us to enjoy. There really are a million and one ways to truly enjoy good and healthy foods these days (I love buying new healthy cookbooks for ideas, try a stew to start, great for cold winters!). On the carrot issue, I can tell you that consuming carrots does not improve your eyesight, as I juice almost every other day with carrots (yum). However, it also has allowed my eyesight to keep from going off the deep end as well. In the end, I'd say still eat and drink carrots if you enjoy them, but there are many alternatives for those nutrients. The funny thing is I don't exercise or eat anything 'healthy' I don't absolutely love. I love my little bit of tennis/soccer/walking/etc. and weight training a week and fixing my specific healthy meals. I tried running and absolutely hated it, abhorred the physical pain (it's got to be an aerobic sport for me to forget about the exercise and get lost in the competition and activity). Finding what you enjoy that is healthy is the key.

Last edited by MrPositive : 01 January 2013 at 08:19 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #59
I try to eat as healthy as possible. It is a dedication.

Similarly I make it to the gym four times a week, always varying what I'm working on.

Shoulders/arms one day, legs another, while chest and back also each get their own day.

Cardio for 20/30 minutes gets thrown in at the end of each session. All together my workouts take about 90 minutes.

I find these combined six hours a week make the other 162 hours much more enjoyable.

Old 01 January 2013   #60
making sure you have arm-rests that are set correctly can help with shoulder and upper back strain. There are even ones out there that clamp on to your desk in case your seating doesn't have them.
I used to get headaches too, for me it's light sensitivity. I always keep ambient light on around me (never stare at a monitor in a dark room) and I keep my monitors at a low brightness setting. This helps me a lot.
Good luck!

Thread Closed share thread