Healthy Working at the Computer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
I've been friends with ambassador for a while and he gave me his broken tredmill. I fixed it and bought a desk from ikea and now I've been using it for over a year. Wouldn't look back honestly, I just did a contract at a studio and had to sit for over a month and I was getting serious back problems and gaining weight ha ha ha. but Yeah the treddesk is awesome.

01 January 2013
As cool as the walking desk is as an idea, I'm not sure I could walk and paint at the same time, because I need a steady hand. Is that not an issue?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: As cool as the walking desk is as an idea, I'm not sure I could walk and paint at the same time, because I need a steady hand. Is that not an issue?

Nope, I do mostly texture/shade work. If you really feel the need, you can slow it, stop it and stand for a bit, or sit on a stool. I have stopped it/put my feet to the side to stop for a few moments while painting in the past with a wacom, but you would be suprised on how unnoticeable it becomes after the first day, just like walking and talking.

Its one of those things that takes trying to get convinced really, the thought does seem odd at first, but typing, mouse, wacom, just the norm while walking now. The one VERY important thing, like with sitting desks, is ergonomics. Arms at 90*, eye level to center or top of the monitors. I have seen other setups with laptops and people hunched over them, like they do at desks, either setup could lead to sore necks.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

01 January 2013
Thanks for sharing so much information, the walking desk or treaddesk thing is extremely tempting. It is an interesting idea and it's good seeing such endorsement of working while using it. Once I settle into my new apartment I might setup a work area with one.

01 January 2013
Smile

Originally Posted by leigh: Carrots don't improve your eyesight. The vitamin content simply contributes towards healthy eyes.

Interesting trivia relevant to this point.

oK Thanks for sharing.. but still i feel 50-50 because some people said that they are good for eyesight..there was an article on yahoo last year.
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/drm...-protect-vision.

anyhow i will not stop eating carrot..

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Dirtvic: oK Thanks for sharing.. but still i feel 50-50 because some people said that they are good for eyesight..there was an article on yahoo last year.

anyhow i will not stop eating carrot..

Yeah, I don't know who DR. Mao is, but living in China for a while, especially living in the country for the last half year, I have learned a lot about Chinese natural remedies that go back hundreds or sometimes thousands of years. I believe that carrots really can improve eyesight, even if it is bad, and their information definitely didn't come from some WWII british propaganda.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

01 January 2013
I wake up early to work out before work every day and I've gotta say I have more energy than when I slept later.

That said, still have back pain, so no matter how much exercise you're getting you still need good posture while working. Really would love a standing desk, unfortunately as a freelancer I'm not really in the position to ask every studio I go to to accommodate me in that way.

I work with a mouse, and I've been thinking I need to practice with a tablet to switch things up for my hand. Unfortunately I'm left handed, so it means not only changing things on the tablet side, but also changing the hand that does keyboard commands, so it's a double whammy.

As far as a yoga balls, I tried those for a week and found it was just as easy, if not easier, to slouch on them... in fact everyone at the studio was trying them out and when I looked around we'd all found creative way to have bad posture on them.

Saw a physical therapist at one point and she showed me a series of stretches to do every morning, and mentioned on top of that I should get a massage to loosen up the tight muscles. Still haven't gotten that massage, which is surprising considering it's probably my favorite suggestion a doctor has ever given me.

www.MichaelSime.com

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Michael5188: ... and mentioned on top of that I should get a massage to loosen up the tight muscles. Still haven't gotten that massage, which is surprising considering it's probably my favorite suggestion a doctor has ever given me.

Since it is doctor recommended, would health insurance cover it? Do you have to go to a specific place or can you choose your own?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d: Since it is doctor recommended, would health insurance cover it? Do you have to go to a specific place or can you choose your own?

Ha, never thought about that.

If I asked my insurance to cover it I'd probably end up at the hole in the wall near my apartment that looks like a cover for the mob.

www.MichaelSime.com

01 January 2013
Thanks for sharing about your treadmill desks, I really like the idea and started digging into it. The actual "brand" ones are very pricey with the treadmill around 800 bucks and a desk/mill bundle for 2-3k. Roaming amazon I found a rising desk and mill that together would be about $500

$249.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Safco-1929CY-...d=ISR1YWJ00C9FT)

$249.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Confidence-Po...=I2XJ730KI34WRI)

end setup would hopefully be something like this

01 January 2013
We had some threads a while ago about this topic (allready closed) - here is a copy of my post and I still heavily recommend this three links. In terms of your described symptoms you will find good information and help in the second book. Both books give you the possibility to treat yourself and mostly getting a better understanding about the symptoms and more know-how to specify your pain when you choose to go to a doctor. If you choose to get an appointment then I suggest you prefer a doctor/therapist who is specialized in trigger point therapy or has a very good understanding about the muscle system and postures.

link the the thread post: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...81&postcount=34

You also have to change your work-habits. No more daily averages of 12 hours infront of a computer and 3-5 hours in the row sitting without moving not a bit. I recommend to practice sports which increase your flexibility - eg Yoga. Because a very stationary posture habit over a long time period can cause very unflexible fascia which often lead to trigger points.

01 January 2013
Andrewty07 -Nice treadmill find, sounds like a good deal, nice and minimal, which is just what is needed for walking, as apposed to the super pricey feature filled running ones.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Fahrija: . I recommend to practice sports which increase your flexibility - eg Yoga. Because a very stationary posture habit over a long time period can cause very unflexible fascia which often lead to trigger points.

But start slow and for those that have already become briddle rubber bands, take plenty of time to warm up and stretch. I jumped back into soccer when I was 36 and ripped my hamstring in 3 places while striking on goal. The keeper laughed at me as I fell and had to crawl off the field. So did my 3 sons and wife. However, now I can do a bit better. Definitely start the Yoga early and make it part of your lifestyle. I can still play soccer, but my endurance is for crap.

Also, watch your blood pressure. Being sedentary, my blood pressure rose to 200 over 180 (found out when I ripped the hamy). I should have died of a heart attack back then. However, more active now (41), better eating habits and more exercise, I've gotten it down a bit. Still stuck on blood pressure meds though until I shed more pounds. Definitely considering the walking desk now!

01 January 2013
That walking desk thing is really working on my mind now.. I might look into as well, thanks for the links.

As I ve said earlier, I recommend people to try high intensity interval training, its a hybrid between cardio/endurance and weight lifting. It does not need to start extreme...but it can get to if you want, ...its a good way to stretch and develop muscle and cardiac endurance in a short period of time.

HIIT training sessions are usually between 20 and 45 mins... up to an hour max, because yes, they are intense.

I ve find myself using a lot the TRX system for muscle endurance and really liking it, you can pretty much put the thing anywhere that has something to handle stuff...

take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCQcmSQW9h4

the trx is between 199 and 300$, but many gyms, like the one I go offer it as part of the cardio section.

Also winter running (for those living up north of the globe...), being thinking about it long time, and finally got the guts to try it... and really liked it! so far this winter, I went 5 times at temps around -10 to -15... human body warms up after 10 minutes around... although its important to use winter running gear (mostly because its lighter while being warm)

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Dirtvic: oK Thanks for sharing.. but still i feel 50-50 because some people said that they are good for eyesight..there was an article on yahoo last year.

I'm just going to come right out and say that article is pure bullshit. Not only the carrots, but the crap about chlorophyll, spirulina, and others too. Just because you read something on a "health" website doesn't make it true - the web is full of garbage and quacks peddling rubbish like homeopathy and other charlatan woo. Honestly, it makes me angry how people casually perpetuate myths and old wives' tales while utterly ignoring the science. It's infuriating.

Thread Closed share thread