Healthy Working at the Computer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #16
Things that i did and i usually do- I place my Tft above my eye level that so much help me getting relief from my neck pain.and use computer lenses.
take lots of water.
1 hour walk in a park watching trees skies birds is worth for me.,,

1 The energy drink for me is Tea(Chai)..:P
2 lots of carrot as its best for eyes.

Last edited by Dirtvic : 01 January 2013 at 05:28 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #17
A couple of other suggestions :

If you use a mouse consider dumping it and using a tablet instead. Takes a couple of days to adjust to it but it's definitely worth it. I animate in Maya exclusively with my tablet now and my wrists don't ache at the end of the day like they used to. The grip position and movements you make when holding a pen are much less stressful on your wrist than a mouse. That could easily be related to what's causing pain in your shoulder.

Get your eyes tested if you are having headaches. I went through the same thing and glasses made a huge difference.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 01 January 2013   #18
I would combine the belly fat shake machine;

with the strap on electric stimulous zappers;

The rapid shaking and vibrating should help with the vision issues/headaches as well. Once you've adapted, add the treadmill.

Old 01 January 2013   #19
Using a tablet to animate is quite interesting actually, I just found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIZDnwlyg-I

Old 01 January 2013   #20
Those people who say they don't have time for it will wish they did when they are bed ridden for a month or two and not getting paid.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 01 January 2013   #21
Originally Posted by Dirtvic:
2 lots of carrot as its best for eyes.

Carrots don't improve your eyesight. The vitamin content simply contributes towards healthy eyes.

Interesting trivia relevant to this point.

Old 01 January 2013   #22
Originally Posted by leigh: Carrots don't improve your eyesight. The vitamin content simply contributes towards healthy eyes.

Thanks now I can tell my kids the truth. What about string beans? I was told they help your ligaments and muscles stretch, so they'll help you run faster. I feed that line to them as well.

Old 01 January 2013   #23
Luckily I don't have to work at a computer for a living, so I can limit myself to a couple of hours at the end of every day. I go to karate and boxing for 2 hours 3 nights a week. I gym & swim the other two days straight after school. So by the time I'm done with everything and get home, a couple of hours at the computer is relaxation for me.
I have a 24" monitor and sit about 4' away from it. I've been told that sitting too close is bad for the eyes so I positioned my chair at the optimum far distance for seeing the screen comfortably and not burning my eyes out. Ask me in about 20 years and I will let you know if it worked.

Old 01 January 2013   #24
Being tall with furniture designed for average height people also has its disadvantages, i had to raise my home desk with some custom made wood blocks under its feet to avoid being so much hunched while working/studying

Old 01 January 2013   #25
Originally Posted by leigh: Carrots don't improve your eyesight. The vitamin content simply contributes towards healthy eyes.

Because this website says so, we're supposed to believe it? I've read books from the 1800's that say differently, so the very idea that this rumor comes from WWII is already wrong.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 01 January 2013   #26
As research has shown, sitting 8+ hours a day wont be offset much by hitting the gym for 45 minutes, of coarse its better than more sitting. There is plenty of research on this, I dont want to post it all,
http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2013/01/sit...generation.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/oct/13/walking-could-protect-brain-against-shrinking

Other than that, there are options, I would recommend the walking desk, I have been using it for 3+ years, would never go back, it comes with me where I go/part of my hire agreement. I wish studios would bring in demo desks for artists to try, so they can really see how simple it is, and how you can still work without even thinking about it, even use a wacom. Your not breaking a sweat or running, just slowly walking, a basic human function. I feel less tired at the end of the day, when compared to the past when I was sitting. Standing desks ALONE are not the same, at all. This desk is no larger than the others in the studio, just more vertical, you can find cheaper versions at ikea, personally, mine could be smaller/not so wide for my needs, but its foldable, lite, and height adjustable(manual)

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Last edited by ambassador : 01 January 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #27
wow.. Ray, that desk is awesome.. i want one!

Old 01 January 2013   #28
When you get tired or for some reason need to sit do you pull it back from the treadmilll and use a high chair or something?

Old 01 January 2013   #29
Originally Posted by entropymachine: When you get tired or for some reason need to sit do you pull it back from the treadmilll and use a high chair or something?

No, I don't have a chair, or get tired really, since its just a slow 1mph stroll. You could use a stool thought if you wanted, would be easy to just set on the treadmill (not moving, haha!). I feel like I sit enough with lunch (outside of the office!) and meetings.

tswalk- Yeah, compared to desk prices, which are high as is, its a great investment, the treadmill I have (you could use any with this desk) folks, is quite, and was about 450$ NEW, but you could find used ones easily on craigslist/gumtree/etc, and pick up a ikea standing desk mod for cheaper. If you picked up a treadmill with arms, you could just put a nice piece of wood on the arms, and bam, desk...from what I see other folks do with DIY treadmill desk setups.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Old 01 January 2013   #30
Originally Posted by teruchan: Because this website says so, we're supposed to believe it? I've read books from the 1800's that say differently, so the very idea that this rumor comes from WWII is already wrong.

I'm assuming you don't know Snopes. Additionally, scroll to the bottom of the page for a list of references. Wikipedia confirms this too.

So yes, if Snopes says it, you should believe it. That's what Snopes is for.

I don't know what it is you're claiming to have read in a book from the nineteenth century. That carrots are good for your eyes? The point is that while carrots are good for your eyes, they don't improve your eyesight, contrary to popular belief, and it was this improvement of eyesight claim which originated during the war.

Thread Closed share thread