It all started with an idea... or so were all told...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
It all started with an idea... or so were all told...

... and THIS idea is pretty cool. To me. =+)

The jist of it is connecting artists of all kinds, graphic, audio, textures, etc. With the growing number of independent game designers, through means of the game designers getting free assets selected from a categorical list, and the artists themselves getting credit for there work by having there work put out into the indie game industry with the strict implementation of a legal contract saying that yes, these resources are free, but to use them you must put credit where credit is due. The legal contract would enforce the idea that if there is not sufficient and summarily ordered credit where credit is due, its not only plagiarized but the website and/or company that hosts the website would charge some retarded fee, on top of the fact that it would go to court. I spoke with an attorney friend of mine and the law does cover this, but it is just an afterthought right now and I was wondering what would you, as graphic artists, say if someone told you that theres a website and server that would host your work, with your information, and it would be used free of charge by indie developers who are definitely to put your name and information as credit, therefor making there game somewhat of a portfolio add-on?

Thoughts and comments are what im here for, and like I said its simply an idea right now and im trying to gauge interested on all sides, but if there is interest... well, we will see.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
From what I can tell you are essentially describing the Creative Commons Attribution license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Games have specific requirements of content and I don't think the amount of possible participation by artists would be enough to be all that useful---basically people wouldn't be able to find assets that would work in their game. What can also happen is that several projects could use the same content and then appear to be low quality for using content that anyone can use for free. Like for instance it's hard to take seriously people who use the content that comes with UDK, or the using the Adobe lens flares.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
I'm curious what your main goal is? If it's to build credits and/or get a job, there are far easier and more appropriate ways to do that. And like dv107 said, game asset requirements are often specific to a style, engine, or other tech. Devs are better off building their own assets (or using any of the millions of already free ones out there) for this and any number of other reasons.

As for building your reputation or resume, having your name credited for some obscure asset on some indie game lost in the pile of indie games would mean almost nothing.

Also, you mention there would be legal contracts. I'm wondering who would create & administer those and more importantly, who will pay to enforce them? That's a huge can of worms that no sane person would go near.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
It does sound like creative commons which is already throughout the internet, it's easy to find sounds, music, 3d models, footage, pictures and more under creative commons attribution licenses. Some even allow commercial usage of works for free (attribution required usually) though a whole community ran with this logic doesn't seem practical because everyone needs to make a living somehow and creating free work doesn't bring money aside from getting a name out there.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Last time I checked, you can't pay bills with credits.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
It seems the idea has been taken as unnecessary. Thank you all for your input but this is the same on both this and another forum.

To answer a question I really liked anyway, my main goal was to help the indie game community. but like I said in my first post, if not then should have said, this was not a well thought out idea. It was an afterthought on the topic. =+) thanks everyone!

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Originally Posted by leigh: Last time I checked, you can't pay bills with credits.

Sums it

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Originally Posted by leigh: Last time I checked, you can't pay bills with credits.

Unless you are on CORUSCANT.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Unless you are on CORUSCANT.

Ziiiiiiiing!

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Arcand: To answer a question I really liked anyway, my main goal was to help the indie game community. but like I said in my first post, if not then should have said, this was not a well thought out idea. It was an afterthought on the topic. =+) thanks everyone!

If you want to help the indie game community for free I am sure many of the small studios would gladly accept free help. I did some animation for one once because it gave me some good practice with more professional tasking along with content I may decide to add to my reel (of course make sure that is fine with them).

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread