ILM The Avengers FX reel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
ILM The Avengers FX reel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=MnQLjZSX7xM
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Absolutely fantastic stuff!! They also released another video last week about the big tie-in shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZsEwUuBjio

- Jesus

Old 01 January 2013   #3
wow...these guys keep setting the bar further and further ahead! Those city shots are just

Old 01 January 2013   #4
I liked the bit where they decided they had to change Cap's motion later so they just replaced him with a CG double, making the scene fully digital. Kind of like the Iron Man 3 trailers where absolutely everything in the bulk of shots is CGI. It looks awesome.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Amazing. Still love the hulk slap down at the end. The city scenes geo looks super simple. Good to see.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Wait a second. Did I just see Scarlett Johansson as a digital double when running from the Hulk at :23??? I might just cry myself to sleep if that's really digital.

I may have enjoyed this video as much as the movie. My God.

Last edited by MrPositive : 01 January 2013 at 09:08 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
With a lot of the CG city shots, I didn't realize that was CG at all.

Thought it was actual shots of a real city with CG elements comped in.

Then again, I saw Avengers on internet video-on-demand, which is pretty low-rez where I live. Less than DVD-quality unfortunately...

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Originally Posted by MrPositive: Wait a second. Did I just see Scarlett Johansson as a digital double when runing from the Hulk at :23 on??? I might just cry myself to sleep if that's really digital.

Her digital twin does look remarkably real. I couldn't tell that was digital when watching the film...

Old 01 January 2013   #9
yeah, that's one thing that caught me off guard, I'm guessing they may have had her CG running towards the camera and then switched to real as she got close enough.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Originally Posted by DePaint: With a lot of the CG city shots, I didn't realize that was CG at all.

Thought it was actual shots of a real city with CG elements comped in.

Then again, I saw Avengers on internet video-on-demand, which is pretty low-rez where I live. Less than DVD-quality unfortunately...

I saw it on massive theater screens and it still looked completely real, it's really one of the most impressive aspects of the VFX for this movie once you know how much of the city is digital.

I have wanted to know more about the CG Scarlet ever since the earlier breakdowns came out, if she is fully CG all the way up or what, I haven't watched the bonus materials yet, anyone know if this has been spoken about anywhere else? I know they swapped out CG versions of just about all the main characters at various points pretty seamlessly, but none of the others full tilt straight at camera like that.

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Someone asked the very same question concerning Scarlett on youtube (Is she real and rotoscoped?) and ILM replied like this:

"No. The result you see in the shot is an amalgam of the actress Scarlett Johansson and our digital double as we had to severely alter the lighting used in the live action shoot."

--->Link <---

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Aha..so rotomated and reprojected makes a bit more sense..still, if anyone could pull that off fully though, it'd be them or Weta. I'm sure that will happen soon enough.

Finally got around to watching MiB3 and there's some cool doubling and environment work in that, but the whole world it lives in is a bit more stylized. Though you could say that for Avengers, too, I think Avengers is landing much more on the real side.

Old 01 January 2013   #13
Transformers downtown + superheroes = avengers

Theyve done so much sky scraper downtown destruction stuff that this is something you expect of them by now. I saw the first Transformers movie 5 times in theaters just for those shots.

The more interesting work in Avengers is the digi-double/live combo they've flawlessly implemented. The second biggest thing to me is not making the Hulk look like a cartoon even though he is.

Im curious to see what they'll do with the next villain since he's extremely cartoon-ish.

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Can anyone enlighten as to the process they are showing at about a 1:30 into the video?

Old 01 January 2013   #15
Originally Posted by TheMadArtist: Can anyone enlighten as to the process they are showing at about a 1:30 into the video?

If you watch the second link JamesNZ posted about the big tie-in shot breakdown, they discuss it a bit more. It's basically using a zillion photos they took around the city and stitched together to realistically surface and render it (gross oversimplification, but that is the gist of it).

Thread Closed share thread