Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
MsZippy
Veteran

portfolio
Kelley Grantham
High School 3D Animation Teacher
East Valley Institute of Technology
Tempe, USA

Send a message via ICQ to MsZippy Send a message via AIM to MsZippy Send a message via Yahoo to MsZippy
Advice about SIGGRAPH for high school instructors

I'm interested in trying to get my high school animation students involved in SIGGRAPH somehow and I'm not sure how to begin. Should we start with just taking field trips to the conference or try to start a student chapter? Anyone's advice would really help. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Diffus3d
Mad Scientist

portfolio
Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis
3ds Max Tech Support
Autodesk
USA

As a Siggraph board member for the cascade chapter I can tell you that the best way to hook them in (through my own experience) is to show them the yearly Siggraph DVD/Reel that they send out. Once they've seen enough animation that's cool, new, and exciting that's usually all it takes.

You could mention that extra-curricular activities can really help to get into college, so why not choose one that is cool and fun?

I've also had moderate success with my college students (when I was teaching) mentioning about how in this field who you know means more than what you know. I've seen plenty of great artists go unemployed for a while, yet the friendly/outgoing (but maybe not quite as talented) seem to always have a gig.

At that age they seem to need to know what's in it for them.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
MsZippy
Veteran

portfolio
Kelley Grantham
Tempe, USA

Send a message via ICQ to MsZippy Send a message via AIM to MsZippy Send a message via Yahoo to MsZippy
Thanks! I found the show reel for the 2012 Computer Animation Festival on YouTube and some other reels from the conference as well. I think this will sell the kids on it for sure.

Do you have any advice about getting my administration to to buy in and support us? None of them have any background in graphics or animation and they've never heard of SIGGRAPH. I've gathered a lot of research already about the opportunities available and they seem open to the idea. Is there anything you can suggest that will really impress upon them the value of getting involved and alleviate any doubts they might have?

Last edited by MsZippy : 01-15-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typos

Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Diffus3d
Mad Scientist

portfolio
Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis
3ds Max Tech Support
Autodesk
USA

This one is tough.

My father was a superintendent of schools in PA for almost 20 years, and I've heard the ups and downs again and again.

The school board is the ultimate entity to appease. 9/10 they are really tough to deal with, but if you could get one of their kids interested that would help a lot. The superintendent will likely be adversarial to the board in many areas, so choose your best ally.

Is there some way you can garner recognition or prestige from this? That's a sure fire win. Are there grants etc?

This is tough to be sure. My father now runs the graduate school of education at UPenn, maybe give him a call and ask him some ideas, he can help. You can say that "AJ" sent you his direction. My advice is to try between 1 and 3. (Italians most happy after lunch.)

http://www.gse.upenn.edu/faculty/deflaminis/

Last edited by Diffus3d : 01-17-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
MsZippy
Veteran

portfolio
Kelley Grantham
Tempe, USA

Red face

Thanks so much!

Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread