2012 OSCAR Nominaions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze: I actually found Lincoln quite refreshing and informative. It does require listening skills though.

My personal favorite movie of the year was Killing Them Softly, but it seems to have slipped under the radar.

oh maybe I'm lacking those then...

01 January 2013
I hope Life of Pi wins best movie and vfx. Since Richard Parker can't win for supporting actor, I hope they give him best vfx.

01 January 2013
I'm seeing Les Mis or Lincoln winning. It would be a huge upset if Django wins, though I doubt it will.

01 January 2013
I really don't get why Brave is even nominated. Sub-par animation movie with horrible screenwriting.

And i wont understand why they keep nominating Tarantino's "movies", specially when they are mere rehashes of talented director's work

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Shesul: I really don't get why Brave is even nominated. Sub-par animation movie with horrible screenwriting.

i'm so agree with you , to me pixar trademark is
- stunning CGI render
- stunning animation
- strong dual level story telling

i can't see none of this 3 element in Brave.
- rendering is really poor compare to what studio like Dr D, Animal Logic , Dreamworks has shown recently
- animation is good but only average compare to what disney animation has produce recently
- story is really really poor (boring ? )

i've read this interview of the directors Mark Andrews
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...-65756?page=0,0

This guy look pretty pedant to me as to sum up he said that Pixar way of working is very slow and he will revolutionise the workflow ... well good luck with that man ! when i see the outpout ... i cross my finger to see stanton , docter and bird back in the ring !

01 January 2013
Dang, thoroughly enjoyed Brave, how wrong I was...

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by SebKaine: i'm so agree with you , to me pixar trademark is
- stunning CGI render
- stunning animation
- strong dual level story telling

i can't see none of this 3 element in Brave.
- rendering is really poor compare to what studio like Dr D, Animal Logic , Dreamworks has shown recently
- animation is good but only average compare to what disney animation has produce recently
- story is really really poor (boring ? )

i've read this interview of the directors Mark Andrews
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/colum...-65756?page=0,0

This guy look pretty pedant to me as to sum up he said that Pixar way of working is very slow and he will revolutionise the workflow ... well good luck with that man ! when i see the outpout ... i cross my finger to see stanton , docter and bird back in the ring !

QFA.....the only reason Brave got any mileage was the Pixar brand name and the feeling that Pixar can do no wrong. I walked out of theater within half an hour of the movie as I knew exactly where this was headed. This never felt like a Pixar movie to me. Compare it to something like "Up" where the starting sequence itself makes you actually FEEL for the character.....and this was just...ugh.

01 January 2013
For Best cinematography it will be
'Lincoln'.
I always find Steven Spielberg movies cinematography awesome
2011-War horse was another epic one.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Why do I get the feeling that "Lincoln" will be walking away with Best Picture and Best Actor?

Too easy.... Because it's All American Goodness through and through. Because in a topsy-turvey world, looking back is well, a Quantum of Solace. Because He (Lincoln) like Washington, is one of those untouchable presidents who did no wrong. Now if only he'd been in a wheelchair too!

Damn Steven didn't you realize...

In 1921 Franklin D.Roosevelt contracted polio, a terrifying and incurable disease that left him paralyzed in his legs. Who... still... gets to be president, overcoming the depression, overcoming the stock market crash, leads America into war, after being attacked first, then single-handily with no help from anyone else wins the world war !! (sounds a lot like today- huh?).

Oh but, the drama, the action, the pure heroism of it all. With some of Steven's push button emotionalism, not a dry eye in the house. Guaranteed.

Steven THAT would have been a lock for an Oscar.

Ok, yes I'm cynical, cant help it, I always watch the Tropic Thunder "Oscar scene" at this time of the year

Last edited by cojam : 01 January 2013 at 02:21 PM.

01 January 2013
Man... Pirates was awesome but will probably win nothing because no one in the academy saw it.

01 January 2013
Is there a "Spielberg face" shot in Lincoln?

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by cojam: Too easy.... Because it's All American Goodness through and through. Because in a topsy-turvey world, looking back is well, a Quantum of Solace. Because He (Lincoln) like Washington, is one of those untouchable presidents who did no wrong. Now if only he'd been in a wheelchair too!

Damn Steven didn't you realize...

In 1921 Franklin D.Roosevelt contracted polio, a terrifying and incurable disease that left him paralyzed in his legs. Who... still... gets to be president, overcoming the depression, overcoming the stock market crash, leads America into war, after being attacked first, then single-handily with no help from anyone else wins the world war !! (sounds a lot like today- huh?).

Oh but, the drama, the action, the pure heroism of it all. With some of Steven's push button emotionalism, not a dry eye in the house. Guaranteed.

Steven THAT would have been a lock for an Oscar.

Ok, yes I'm cynical, cant help it, I always watch the Tropic Thunder "Oscar scene" at this time of the year

Pretty sure that Spielberg is aware of how awesome FDR was

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by dneg: Pretty sure that Spielberg is aware of how awesome FDR was

Too many long nights at work? = sense of humor lost

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by cojam: Too many long nights at work? = sense of humor lost

That or spending too much time with Hollywood comedy script writers

Have you actually seen Lincoln?

Last edited by dneg : 01 January 2013 at 05:31 PM.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by dneg: Have you actually seen Lincoln?

Of course, i like so many other was amazed at the detail, and showing a side of Lincoln that very few knew about, the pressures and stress on him, cant have been easy hunting vampires...

But seriously, if you cant see that the film is just positioned as an ocsar target, and how it's using the average American's knowledge of him, or lack there of. Playing up the correct points, for those very academy voters and given most will know him and Washington and differentiate them by one sits in the big chair, the other chopped a cherry tree, and one had a tall hat, those very same that probably cant even name the current vice president, then sir your seriously missing the understanding and humor and the whole reasoning for the post. I suggest we end it here. God save the queen.

Thread Closed share thread