portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Jurassic Park’s one week only IMAX, 3D rerelease dates announced

Quote:
"
When Steven Spielberg‘s Jurassic Park roars back into theaters this spring, the T-Rex and friends won’t just be snapping at your face in post-converted 3D. They’ll also be clawing at your torso on a larger-than-life scale. IMAX and Universal announced today that the Steven Spielberg classic will get a one-week run in IMAX 3D starting on the same date as the film’s wide re-release. This will mark the film’s first time playing in that format. More details after the jump.

According to a press release sent out today, Jurassic Park will be playing in IMAX 3D for one week starting April 5. “Jurassic Park was groundbreaking when it was originally released, and The IMAX 3D Experience will allow today’s audiences to become fully immersed in one of the most breathtaking epics Universal has ever released,” said president of distribution Nikki Rocco in the statement. Its run will be cut off on April 12 by the IMAX release of another Universal project, the Tom Cruise sci-fi flick Oblivion"

http://www.slashfilm.com/jurassic-p...max-engagement/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Daniel-B
Expert

portfolio
Daniel Broadway
Sr. Visual Effects Artist
Raytheon
Huntsville, USA

The CG in Jurassic Park still looks so incredible. All without ambient occlusion, sub surface scattering, or GI. Truly talented people on that show.

Vimeo Videos
Daniel Broadway

Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel-B
The CG in Jurassic Park still looks so incredible. All without ambient occlusion, sub surface scattering, or GI. Truly talented people on that show.

I'm amazed to this day how well all the effects hold up. And how many effects from just five years ago look aged.

Really it's the beautiful mix of practical and computer generated, when directors knew when to use each to their strengths.

Also it's just such a good movie.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188
Really it's the beautiful mix of practical and computer generated, when directors knew when to use each to their strengths.

Also it's just such a good movie.

To wit, it's probably because they didn't know how it would totally work that there was good overlap between Stan Winston shop and ILM.

There was a lot of attention and the testing period for the VFX was pretty extensive because it was all being done for the first time.

In particular Stan Winston shop animatronics provided a basis for the ILM CG dinosaurs to match because the point was that they wanted to cut quickly between the two with little to no difference between them.

As for SSS and AO. I admire these effects, and I think when used properly they make a lot of renders look better. But there are times, for a specific look, where you don't really need them (and renders go faster without them).

There are times, in particular style, lighting, and color targets, that SSS even on human figures is inferior in final result to one that is without SSS.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
redbellpeppers
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chris
Standing, USA

Totally looking forward to this. Hopefully the conversion is better than I Robot.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

It does help that there was only 6 minutes of CG in the entire movie. Most serialized TV Shows nowadays have more than that between ad breaks.

Last night I read a script review for JP4 from 2007 (or so...)...and damn. I'm glad they didn't make that movie!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
squidinc
3D invertebrate

portfolio
Mike Robinson
IT something or other..
Rhyl, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
It does help that there was only 6 minutes of CG in the entire movie. Most serialized TV Shows nowadays have more than that between ad breaks.

Last night I read a script review for JP4 from 2007 (or so...)...and damn. I'm glad they didn't make that movie!

yeah, this is why the effects look so good, a full size robot trex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXpKda61dg

edit: their channel has loads of awesome videos, cant believe I've only just stumbled across this now

Last edited by squidinc : 01-10-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

DUPLICATE.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01-11-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

DUPLICATE.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 01-11-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidinc
yeah, this is why the effects look so good, a full size robot trex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXpKda61dg

edit: their channel has loads of awesome videos, cant believe I've only just stumbled across this now

I wouldn't try and step on ILM's effort and say the reduction of CGI was what made Jurassic Park so good. Rather it was the intelligent use of CGI that led to it being good. 6 minutes was all they needed... Nothing more.

6 minutes... but it was pretty substantial clumps totaling 6 minutes.
Everything with the T-rex moving on its legs is CG and that was a lot of footage (Stan Winston's animatronic T-rex didn't have working legs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Co3A3fLBo#t=0m01s

The secret I think was that ILM knew it had to trade fast cuts between them and the Stan Winston T-Rex Torso so they had to look nearly exactly the same.

Never mind what "research" pointed to... Once Stan Winston built these things... ILM had to match them "in world".

Makes all the difference in the world... Although a similar approach was used in Transformers (Some of the robot's legs and lower halves were on-set stand-ins whenever possible).

Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Jacobiahsj
Still Chippin' Away

portfolio
James Joyce
Illustrator
Manchester, United Kingdom

I'm still amazed at Jurassic park and entirely agree that the effects still stand up. 20 years old this year? Squidinc cheers for posting the youtube link that making of is great. The level of detail and skill involved is amazing.

Does anyone if these 2D to 3D conversions are any better than they used to be? The last one I saw was awful however it would be great to go and see Jurassic Park again.

Rusch Blog

Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

They are reportedly doing a painstaking "Titanic" style conversion, definitely not half-assing it. I expect it to be fully-assed.

3D or not, even the prospect of seeing it again on the big screen is awesome. I want to hear the T-Rex on an IMAX sound system.

The blu-rays were fantastic, though it's unbelievable how much grain there is sometimes.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
They are reportedly doing a painstaking "Titanic" style conversion, definitely not half-assing it. I expect it to be fully-assed.

Is that what they're saying these days?

Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Is that what they're saying these days?

haha, don't think so, that's just something I started saying a while ago because I thought the term "half-assed" was funny, like would that mean something "fully-assed" is good?

Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 AM   #15
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

I could sit through the fx in 3d and Imax but not the human scenes. The only dynamic character is Nedry. The rest of them are pretty simplistic and the most promising of them, Malcolm, gets sidelined with an injury.
Grant was more dynamic as a character in the third.

But having watched it again recently even the galimimus stampede which seemed the most "digital" looking to my memory did look really good.

Thread Closed share thread