Polar Bears Short by Animal Logic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by Grrrrrrr: Those colors just look hard to watch at for long periods of time.

I couldn't disagree more. The palette was terrific. Glad to see people taking a few chances with colour and ignoring these sorts of opinions.

Daring to piss off people once in a while is a good thing.

01 January 2013
For the colours, having seen it in our theatre, I can say Youtube compression isn't exactly kind to that type of palette. Nothing like subtle sparkles on snow to make the codec crunch it up into hyper blues and punched whites
For the design and story, well, it's Coke's characters/bible and their stuff, you don't argue with clients on those, but yeah, they do look a bit samey, and unlike on commercials there was no chance to introduce distinction through accessories.

It was a pretty good test for the relatively new in-house fur system though.

01 January 2013
It was commercials deadlines with a lot of new shots and redos at the end making the turn over on animation and lighting very tight. There is a heavy grade on it mainly due to last minute changes/direction and I was also left out of the credits :( it was rendered at 2k stereo

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by mr.bean: I couldn't disagree more. The palette was terrific. Glad to see people taking a few chances with colour and ignoring these sorts of opinions.

Daring to piss off people once in a while is a good thing.

It's my body not my opinion that couldn't take the over saturated colors. I'm just saying how it felt.

01 January 2013
Wooo Hooo on the animation. That slightly stiff hind leg in the bear walk, and the bird dance, great.

I didn't like the story but I am sure I am not the target group. Tough to write something fresh when it has been done so often.

Great stuff AL!

01 January 2013
Looks great IMO, albeit the "story" was boring.
What rendering engine was used for this clip?

01 January 2013
So boring. Poor writing, poor story. And please enough with this ice age thing. And shame on coca-cola, they have to work with better agencies with better copywriters and art directors. No offense Animal Logic, there is nothing wrong with your work, it's just your client...

01 January 2013
Afaik, Animal logic has been a renderman house for as long as i can remember, and i recall hearing this commercial was no different . And since we're at it i too thought it was a flawlessly executed commercial with a very exaggerated color scheme.
But clients are clients.
Kudos to jaco and the AL peeps for the work.
Also heard they got some xsi love on the rigging side

Last edited by oktawu : 01 January 2013 at 08:44 PM.

01 January 2013
It was all renderman, and the pipeline from feature animation for rigging and animation, which was rather exceptional for TVC norms, but they coped like champs.

I should put on the record I did absolutely no work on it, I only posted some friends' work

01 January 2013
This was done at the same time. http://youtu.be/FYuykEGyjqg makes me feel like having a nice icy glass of coca cola

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: For the colours, having seen it in our theatre, I can say Youtube compression isn't exactly kind to that type of palette. Nothing like subtle sparkles on snow to make the codec crunch it up into hyper blues and punched whites
For the design and story, well, it's Coke's characters/bible and their stuff, you don't argue with clients on those, but yeah, they do look a bit samey, and unlike on commercials there was no chance to introduce distinction through accessories.

It was a pretty good test for the relatively new in-house fur system though.

Thanks for the clarifications. It definitely puts more context into things.

Also I think at that point, your clients only expected you to "execute". And you guys weren't involved at any earlier stage. In fact, the cynical side of me even thinks Ridley Scott was even more removed from it all. This story just didn't seem like his work.

So yeah.... Even then, I did like the motion.... I think the colors are OK too. It's just that we'd seen this before in "Happy Feet" and "Ice age" sort of. But if the point was to nail that tone - 100% success there.

The Fur System was definitely expert-pro... especially if it did the "dry to wet" as one sim.

01 January 2013
Animation was great and I enjoyed the dance. The bird movement was really cool. Kind of boring but that didn't really take away from anything IMO.

01 January 2013
Is there a part II/shorter version Ad with a Coke packshot ?

01 January 2013
This was born as a short for another time and place, then Coke was stoked with some of the first (unpublished) work, and worked with AL for the rather successful superbowl polar commercials, and later came back to this short to finish it to a longer script.
It started in our feature animation department, but what you see here was done by TVC/short form with parts of the pipe and some staff from FA, but their production and pipe for the areas outside of animation and FX.

I don't know of anything else around it that isn't the self contained piece you've seen.
While it's always been obviously themed and bibled by coke, they wanted a short, not an outright commercial, which I thought was kind of cool by them TBH.

Animation was, towards the end when he joined AL some months ago, directed by Rob Coleman.

01 January 2013
Well Ill be the first one to say that I showed it to my kids and they loved it,especially the birds. Which I'm sure this was the intended target to begin with.

-B

Thread Closed share thread