CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Valve and Xi3 present: PISTON - a Console that runs Steam and games on your HD TV

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/7/384...r-steam-and-big

It's the new craze in the tech investment world - Making your own Gaming Console.

The road for PISTON though seems like a lot more clear versus the android systems that were also announced recently.

This one's got ALL your Steam games!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
tswalk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

another week... another console development announced, that yet draws me to the same conclusion no matter what angle i try to think about it...

"This is redonkulous..."

Old 01-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

This doesn't seem like a big deal. Probably just a small sized gaming computer. I don't see the point of it, they can't reduce the cost compared to other PC's so the only advantage is that they managed to get it into a small size.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

But if this is a pick-up, plug-in, play kind of thing (maybe with steam subscription or something like that) then lots of casual gamers/shoppers will pick it up. Hardcore gamers might leave it, but I see potential here. The Nvidia console, not so much, it's trying too many things at once.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

One thing for sure they did it at the right time, and they did it the right way.

- current console is old enough
- they have convert their own engine to support linux, and so is Unity3D. Hence, porting can be done with minimal cost.
- by using off the shelf hardware and os, they can reduce the pricing.
- by using well known os (linux), they can port software that make using the platform fun (like facebook, twitter, watching movie via hulu, netflix, etc).
- if they release it now before ps4 or whatever xbox comes, they can hit it big. ouya (?) shows that there is a market. if there is a large company behind it, there are bigger customer trust.

valva have the know how for all aspect (development, publishing, marketing). if someone can do this, it would be VALVE.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Piston may be a good solution for people who want a "preconfigured gaming PC" in a small sized footprint suitable for the living room.

It may be somewhat successful. Impossible to tell without seeing Hardware specs and pricing info.

I personally see the coming 3 Android consoles - Shield, Ouya, GameStick - as more significant.

They are going to be cheap, popular, and will likely be followed up by more powerful models within 1 - 2 years.

So while Valve may have moderate success with this - or not - it looks like Android consoles will be where the new action is...

My 2 Cents.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
entropymachine
Frequenter

portfolio
Cristiano Matos
Portugal

If they ship it with Half Life 3 as their flagship, it will be the fastest selling console in History

Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

I also wonder what this does for the gaming smartphone market as there is some cross-over here. Maybe tablets and smartphones will get more output to TV capabilities....?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintbox
I also wonder what this does for the gaming smartphone market as there is some cross-over here. Maybe tablets and smartphones will get more output to TV capabilities....?

That's already happening. Many new phones/tablets launched will feature HDMI or VGA out.

This is because everyone can see now that "gaming on the living room TV" is becoming popular.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
If they ship it with Half Life 3 as their flagship, it will be the fastest selling console in History

like the guy said at the nvidia presentation "please take my money"

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
tswalk
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
That's already happening. Many new phones/tablets launched will feature HDMI or VGA out.

This is because everyone can see now that "gaming on the living room TV" is becoming popular.

things won't change much until we see WiGig being integrated with HDMI... then, we really won't have a need to stick a dozen different boxes around the house to a TV to do things....

Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Apoclypse
Expert

Boy this next generation is going to be interesting for Sony and MS. One of the things the Ouya and Piston can do is to decrease the huge licensing costs and barrier to entry for indie developers. That up side is that we may get more interesting games instead of cookie cutter FPS games, the downside is that we may get more crap than usual. Sometimes you need someone to say this is crap, make it better.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Piston isn't going to sell much if it's the same cost as other gaming PC's, even if they go with Linux that won't reduce the cost by much, a reasonably good gaming PC would still be significantly more expensive than a console or the new mobile devices.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #15
DanielWray
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Wray
Bsc Computer Animation & Digital SFX
United Kingdom

I wonder if this will use AMD hardware.

I can't imagine them going with Intel integrated graphics for a dedicated gaming console.

Low-cost, easy-access, and a great experience for both consumer, and developer are definitely what consoles should be aiming for nowadays, in my opinion that is.

I also don't see why they can't have a unit like the Wii U, but with a very clean (USB ports on the back, with only system lights, and IR receiver on the front), and inside have a mid-level AMD APU, 4GB~RAM, a small amount of internal storage for OS, updates, and saves. Throw in WiFi as standard, with the ability to have wireless controllers, keyboards, and/ or mice interact and you'd have the basis for a well-rounded machine that really shouldn't cost too much.

The software on-top could be a variant of Linux, or even something like Ubuntu TV but with the addition of having access to application stores, such as Steams.

Thread Closed share thread