New model of Cintiq alternative looks promising?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #16
Yiynova has different versions of digitizers (as pointed out by reviewer in link) too so be wary! The old one is complete crap compared to the newer one according to reviewer. I like the fact that my Wacom doesn't have a battery in the digitizer but there is a reason I still use an Intuos 3 and don't yet own the Cintiq (which I am saving for).

Old 01 January 2013   #17
that looks promising. i might actually jump on that. maybe they can get me one at work.

i've only used wacom intuos tablets and i agree they do need the competition. i hope this takes off.

Old 01 January 2013   #18
The Yiynova unit looks great for such a low price.

I have written to my favorite technology retailer in Istanbul, and suggested that they start stocking the 19" model.

Old 01 January 2013   #19
This would be huge for our industry and especially students! The cintiq's are so grossly overpriced with their monopoly. I hope to see some reviews from cgtalk members as soon as possible.

Last edited by MrPositive : 01 January 2013 at 09:15 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #20
I got one of these over the holiday break, I really like it a lot. Installation was a pain since I had Wacom drivers already installed. Once those were out of the way it worked great, the pressure sensitivity is just as good as my Intuos4, in my opinion. I wish there were hot buttons on the side but frankly I'm not willing to pay a $1500 premium for that feature. Also the viewing angle is not that great, but manageable. I hope they come out with an IPS version of this, it would be awesome! Also note that the pen does NOT have tilt recognition, so you'll lose those features in programs like Painter, which is a bummer.

Old 01 January 2013   #21
its about time wacom gets some competition... i have quite a collection of wacoms here, and i`m sick to the bone that every wacom just works with its own version of pen (cintiq12ux pen doesnt work on intuos2 nor with the intuos5 or viseversa.... )

portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
Vimeo - vimeo.com/deroesi

game project - moldgame.wordpress.com

WIPs - theremoteguy.tumblr.com

Old 01 January 2013   #22
Originally Posted by roofoo: Installation was a pain since I had Wacom drivers already installed. Once those were out of the way it worked great...

That was my deal-breaker when I tried a Yiynova DP10HD, whose price and portability made it more appealing for work on-the-go than Wacom's 12WX. Unfortunately the driver conflict makes Yiynova products non-viable for me as long as I'm connecting my laptop to a Cintiq at the office.

A couple other products I'm keeping my eye on:

Old 01 January 2013   #23
The problem with a dedicated tablet for this is the lack of power. Someone should design a connector to enable you to use your Desktop power for the processing and the tablet solely as a cintiq alt.

Old 01 January 2013   #24
I wrote to my favorite online retailer about the Yiynova 19".

They said they will consider adding it to their products list, so hopefully I'll be able to buy one online here in Turkey in a few weeks.

Thanks for the heads-up about this!

I nearly bought a Cintiq for big money, when I found out about this great alternative.

I'll be getting the Yiynova 19" instead of a Cintiq 22" now...

Old 01 January 2013   #25
I'd like to have that on one of the PC tablets for creativity on the go.
something along this http://gizmodo.com/5974219/panasoni...8-lag-like-hell

Old 01 January 2013   #26
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar: I want a Yiynova. They also have a cheaper 10.5 inch version for 299.

I have the 2nd generation 1366 pixel model. Got it for Christmas and I love it. Will post a review when I have a bit of time.

Old 01 January 2013   #27
Is it feasible to add pressure (and tilt) sensitivity tech to tablet pc's? I think the ideal 'cintiq' would be a tablet pc that connects to a desktop in 'dumb' mode or even compounds the computing power. A quick hot-plug disconnect to wander off else-where with your 24" digital sketch pad would be so liberating.

Surely, faced with the yiynova, and the probable not-too-distant release of tablets sporting 4k resolution screens, Wacom will have to drop the price of Cintiq's?

I've been fancying one of the new Cintiq's. Very attractive product - but I just felt they are too over-priced. I hate being trickle-fed technology and so have coped with an Intuos2 for years, however pretty the newer models looked! (I only upgraded from my old Intuos1 because it was no longer supported by my OS.) It does seem rediculous to still be using tablet technology from the 80's? Looking at an image that's set away from where your hand is drawing - and even more rediculous that we've been paying such a hefty price for the privilege.

Why buy an Intuos when you can buy Yiynova now?

The quality of the Yiynova screen puts me off though. I'll probably wait it out and see what happens in the next year. I'll just have to stop looking at Cintiq videos on youtube.

Old 01 January 2013   #28
Also this product is very interesting news to me,
Also from a better known player and since it has licensed wacom technology,
Wacom doesn't seem to fear the competition...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/thinkvisi...-to-your-laptop

Old 01 January 2013   #29
Thats pretty cool. Kinda like the wii u. It is exactly what i need to draw from the couch. Too bad it has lag and it doesnt seem to have mac support

Old 01 January 2013   #30
This is more like it BUT WIN 8 SUCKS and the pressure is prob the same as with most Lenovo screens and no where near the Intuos 4/5. Wacom needs to take note but their prob is they wouldn't price it around 500- it'd be like 5,000 LMAO- I guess with WIN7 you'd have to extend to this screen and use PS or whatever full screen on it alone. the interface with 7 and touch is jacked.

Thread Closed share thread