Del Toro Will Try 'Mountains of Madness' Again

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Probably Del Toro changed his mind after actually seeing Prometheus

Old 03 March 2013   #17
I watched both versions of War of the Worlds and the one thing that annoyed me about both versions is how they end suddenly. I mean, the aliens are running amok, all defence options including nuclear have totally failed and civilisation is in the "what the **** do we do now". Then suddenly the aliens catch flu and snuff it, film over. I just found the suddenness of how both movies ended caught me off guard when I was expecting more to happen first.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Dillster: I watched both versions of War of the Worlds and the one thing that annoyed me about both versions is how they end suddenly. I mean, the aliens are running amok, all defence options including nuclear have totally failed and civilisation is in the "what the **** do we do now". Then suddenly the aliens catch flu and snuff it, film over. I just found the suddenness of how both movies ended caught me off guard when I was expecting more to happen first.

Keep in mind the original WOTW story ended that way for a reason.
H.G Wells was a pacifist.
He may have been trying to make the point that war and weapons were not always the answer. He also put out the idea in his last book "Mind at the end of it's Tether"
that the human race could be replace by another species would not be a bad thing.
Also WOTW was written in the age of colonialism.
In that light are the Martians a symbolic version of what humans were doing to other countries at the time?
Little stuff that Tom Cruise just can't get across.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Dillster: I watched both versions of War of the Worlds and the one thing that annoyed me about both versions is how they end suddenly. I mean, the aliens are running amok, all defence options including nuclear have totally failed and civilisation is in the "what the **** do we do now". Then suddenly the aliens catch flu and snuff it, film over. I just found the suddenness of how both movies ended caught me off guard when I was expecting more to happen first.

What, you wanted the humans to upload some kind of computer virus written in Borland C to shutdown the tripods defensive shields while the U.S. President flies around in an F-16 and destroys them all with rockets?

I think the point of War of the Worlds... the story... was about how sometimes nature finds a way.... even when we can't... and how living in the world as we do is a gift in and of itself.

That's a lot different than ending it with "huzzah! America save the world! Now I know! And knowing is half the battle! *G.I. JOOOOE!*"

Old 03 March 2013   #20
The 1953 movie holds up really well I think. The girlfriend character is irritatingly childish which is a problem I notice with George Pal (and Cecil B DeMille) movies, but otherwise it has a lot of good moments--the sound effects for the aliens are really good.
Spielberg chose to avoid the large scale spectacle which I found disappointing --he didnt want to show New York getting pulverized since it would resemble certain news videos. But I liked how the tripods looked and that sound effect for them. There was a late 80s radio NPR version recorded at Skywalker Ranch which has the same kind of realistic sound effects--its rather cool especially when they go into New York.

The story ending is a brilliant deus ex machina.

The story involves Social Darwinian concepts as well as domination by technology and in the end its itty bitty neutral micro-organisms that save the day. Of course they throw in that "that God in His wisdom placed upon the earth" line which I think makes it hokey but the basic idea is the ultimate Twilight Zone plot in my view.

The kid going off with the military vehicles and showing up at the house was really stupid and I found it laughable when he goes in to kill Tim Robbins and his daughter is singing/muttering to herself to block out the incident.

But Cruise makes a wicked peanut butter sandwich.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Originally Posted by kelgy: Of course they throw in that "that God in His wisdom placed upon the earth" line which I think makes it hokey but the basic idea is the ultimate Twilight Zone plot in my view.

H.G. Wells was actually an outspoken atheist, so I'm pretty sure he meant that line as an example of how the narrator's character rationalized living through such an event, rather than as the moral of the novel.

Or, alternately, it was forced upon him by his editor.

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Originally Posted by Meloncov: H.G. Wells was actually an outspoken atheist, so I'm pretty sure he meant that line as an example of how the narrator's character rationalized living through such an event, rather than as the moral of the novel.

Or, alternately, it was forced upon him by his editor.

Within the context of the movies that line doesnt appear as a character thought but an authority voice--and in the 53 movie they throw in a church hymn over the end credits.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
Originally Posted by kelgy: Within the context of the movies that line doesnt appear as a character thought but an authority voice--and in the 53 movie they throw in a church hymn over the end credits.

So both times, those are director's interpretations of an H.G. Wells line in the book.
(What's the title of the thread again?)

Old 03 March 2013   #24
The funny/interesting thing is that :

a) governments have been working on biological / chemical weapons for a long of time. Ever since wiping the native Indians using blankets with small pox(?).

b) even high grade weapon such as antrax and sarin gas

c) military have been using their own fallen soldier dead body as weapon too (specially those that died due to plague or other infectious and deadly diseases, by catapulting those dead bodies into enemy territory.

So logically, it should be on the list of things done on day one after everything else fails. To use biological weapon.

But maybe someone just want to frame it differently. After all, when the anthrax issue surfaced, it was bru ha ha. Specially how the attached letter was worded. But after realizing who was behind it, and where the spore came from, suddenly anything about it was hush hush.

Ironically, there was a time in the movie where the characters mentioned how the Japanese are killing the aliens left and right. Considering that:

a) They are willing to go Kamikaze (getting themselves captured and/or eaten).
b) They might equip themselves with bomb (ala Tom Cruise) while already injecting pathogen into their own blood.

So maybe one of the character was right if Japanese is killing the aliens left and right.

Just my 2 cent.

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: So both times, those are director's interpretations of an H.G. Wells line in the book.
(What's the title of the thread again?)

Actually there's a fair bit of thematic similarities between HP Lovecraft's works (his views on theology are easy to find) and the War of the Worlds story, but I was going to add that there's also an Edgar Allen Poe element in WotW's ending--it reminds me of the Conqueror Worm.

Anyway I think its one of the best science fiction endings if one doesnt interpret it along the lines of the movie versions --because the irony is stronger that way (though I havent seen the Asylum edition).

Last edited by kelgy : 03 March 2013 at 05:35 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: ........That's a lot different than ending it with "huzzah! America save the world! Now I know! And knowing is half the battle! *G.I. JOOOOE!*"

Well no I don't want another America saves the world, and I do like the way nature won over the aliens. It's the sudden way it happened with no lead up to keep the view clued in or engaged a bit. Almost like watching a whodunit where the culprit is revealed with absolutely no clues to help the viewer solve the case.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
Originally Posted by Dillster: Well no I don't want another America saves the world, and I do like the way nature won over the aliens. It's the sudden way it happened with no lead up to keep the view clued in or engaged a bit. Almost like watching a whodunit where the culprit is revealed with absolutely no clues to help the viewer solve the case.

I understand what you're saying. But the problem is.... Once ANY character of authority, or some event of undeniable truth reveals that "The Aliens can die from Common Flu" the film literally has only 15 seconds left to live.

There's no more suspense or excitement when you learn a glaring common place weakness will destroy the seemingly unstoppable threat.

It's like how Bruticus could never hold a Transformers episode anymore after they introduced the idea that shooting 3 dots on his back would shut him down. Kinda brought him down many notches and he never could "peak" an episode again like he used to.

Old 03 March 2013   #28
I watched two versions of I Am Legend where they give away the ending half way or 2/3rds through the movie through dialogue, thus making the ending less ironic (even though they deviate from it anyway).

Sometimes you dont want the ending telegraphed in advance.

Reduced to the most basic the message in WOTW is: Big surprises come in little packages.

Old 03 March 2013   #29
Originally Posted by kelgy: I watched two versions of I Am Legend where they give away the ending half way or 2/3rds through the movie through dialogue, thus making the ending less ironic (even though they deviate from it anyway).

Sometimes you dont want the ending telegraphed in advance.

Reduced to the most basic the message in WOTW is: Big surprises come in little packages.

Yes. And this is also not the same as situations where characters do in fact talk about the "end-game" but in a speculative way. Like when John Connor keeps talking about the Kill Frequency in "Terminator Salvation". Of course for the film savvy and because of the way it keeps coming up you know it will be important towards the end.. and maybe you can predict the twist (read: "There is NO Island!")... But that's still kinda okay.

It's really down the drain when a film betrays itself and reveals its own ending for certain... and it does it too early.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Yes.
It's really down the drain when a film betrays itself and reveals its own ending for certain... and it does it too early.

What about "John Dies at the End"?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Thread Closed share thread