CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Nvidia Is Making Its Own Game System

Quote;
"Before today, Nvidia made parts to put inside gadgets other people build. Today, it has its own gaming device: a Tegra 4-powered handheld system with both an integrated controller and screen. It does 4k. But what the hell is it, exactly?"

http://gizmodo.com/5973640/kaboom-n...n=recirculation
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

It's been mentioned in this thread already:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...343#post7493343

Basically, there's 3 Android game consoles coming now: OUYA, GAMESTICK and NVIDIA.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
cojam
Banned
portfolio
chris
varible, Afghanistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
But what the hell is it, exactly?"

I get the feeling thats what a lot of people at Nvidia were saying. Seems the press is too...

Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

i hope sony and microsoft are paying attention.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot
i hope sony and microsoft are paying attention.

More likely that Samung is the one to be listening and will be following up on this.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
evolucian
Lurkmeister
portfolio
Lulu
Compositor
Vancouver, Canada

when i saw 4K the first thing i thought was wasted space and extra unnecessary weight. 1080p output would've been enough. Then it has a bunch of outputs that'll never really get used to the point where theyre worth existing in the first place...

Too much crap, they need to Apple-fy it down by 25-35% and they'd have a near perfect gaming gadget with a more streamlined look, less bulk/more battery probably,etc

Anyways, just by the looks of it you can tell its designed to appeal to 13 yr olds. Very off putting angles, looks overly busy, much more prefer the PSP form factor in terms of tidy-ness.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
entropymachine
Frequenter

portfolio
Cristiano Matos
Portugal

The release video, nice CG at least

And from some "promo" images they are showing Borderlands and Skyrim on it, looks interesting so far

Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
when i saw 4K the first thing i thought was wasted space and extra unnecessary weight. 1080p output would've been enough. Then it has a bunch of outputs that'll never really get used to the point where theyre worth existing in the first place...

Too much crap, they need to Apple-fy it down by 25-35% and they'd have a near perfect gaming gadget with a more streamlined look, less bulk/more battery probably,etc

Anyways, just by the looks of it you can tell its designed to appeal to 13 yr olds. Very off putting angles, looks overly busy, much more prefer the PSP form factor in terms of tidy-ness.
yeah, if you look at the demo video the back of the screen has this huge bulky back with nothing in it.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

If Android gaming takes off big time with these 3 quirky consoles, then I fear that the end is in sight for the market dominance of MS, Sony, Nintendo.

Sure, the 1st generation Android consoles may be a little underpowered hardware-wise.

Probably no match for PS4 or Xbox 720.

But they will be cheap, open for development, and - from the looks of it - quite popular, so there is always room for a 2nd and 3rd gen with better hardware.

Big Boys beware - Android is about to march into your cozy little "walled garden" console market.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
If Android gaming takes off big time with these 3 quirky consoles, then I fear that the end is in sight for the market dominance of MS, Sony, Nintendo.

I totally agree with you hence my previous post that Microsoft and Sony has a lot to think about before releasing their next consoles. Did you hear about valve unveiling their steambox at CES.

http://www.examiner.com/article/val...s-first-details

Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Well, with things like these Android is pretty well set to be the best gaming platform (at least compared to iOS) as long as they get developers to make games for it. Main issue is the fragmentation of Android, developers can't test on each device and adjust so that they work the best so many just avoid Android entirely. I guess Tegra is somewhat a standard but since that only represents a small set of devices it doesn't fix the problem.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread