Old 01-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #32
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

i agree with most of you guys , centos 6.3 is not very sexy but its a strong and safe choice for CG. it works smoothly, the gnome desktop is simple , not full of useless applets ... its a great choice for a company ! but i don't like so much rpm distro ...

i do prefer the Debian logic and the .deb i've already post a topic on crunchbang which is by far the best distro i've try ! of course you must embrace the minimalist approach to like it ...

so if i'd go with .rpm i will choose centos 6.3 but if i can go .deb, crunchBang would be my choice.

cheers

E

Last edited by SebKaine : 01-21-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #33
leif3d
Solving 9999 things a day

portfolio
Leif Pedersen
Miami, USA

Another vote for centOS 6.3.
Make sure you setup the nvidia drivers and compiz appropriately though or all kinds of hangups will happen.
I use KDE in centOS btw. I like it more than gnome.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #34
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Interesting info guys. I should give CentOS a try. My studio's workstation was set up with Fedora before I joined. I actually liked Fedora 14 and hate all of them after 15 :(

Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #35
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

I'm sort of puzzled at the widespread love for CentOS personally.
I run FC at home, and CentOS at work, and beside the fact the 6.x cycle of CentOS was a majorly delayed painful multi-directional cluster-f***, centOS always feels like the clunky, outdated delayed clone of a corporate oriented distro it is.

It's true FC is cutting edge and official support time ticks like a timebomb every release, but it's never been a problem to find a solid one within releases and keeping it running and up to date for years, and in general it's always been a much smoother experience for me.

CentOS has its time and place, but, speaking from a strictly, and very, personal point of view that place is not at home on my desktop.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #36
leif3d

portfolio
Leif Pedersen
Miami, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
I'm sort of puzzled at the widespread love for CentOS personally.
I run FC at home, and CentOS at work, and beside the fact the 6.x cycle of CentOS was a majorly delayed painful multi-directional cluster-f***, centOS always feels like the clunky, outdated delayed clone of a corporate oriented distro it is.

It's true FC is cutting edge and official support time ticks like a timebomb every release, but it's never been a problem to find a solid one within releases and keeping it running and up to date for years, and in general it's always been a much smoother experience for me.

CentOS has its time and place, but, speaking from a strictly, and very, personal point of view that place is not at home on my desktop.

Well, the OP needed info on a industry standard linux distro to get started, so centOS being a redhat clone is the best bet IMHO. Besides, it's extremely stable for Maya, which is what he uses.
Strictly speaking, I don't use centOS for anything else than a stable bed to run software. I literally don't use anything else that relates to entertainment on centOS, so I can only attest to it's stability with Maya+RMS/ RPS.

For a home OS there are many more options. I wouldn't choose centOS for my home desktop either...it's just not what the OP asked for...

Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #37
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

That's where mileage seems to vary though.
For me FC was an infinitely easier choice to set up for DCC use than CentOS (which I would argue I even know better, have more frequent experience on). Everything pretty much worked right off the bat.

As far as industry standards go, CentOS does seem to get picked up a lot recently, but I don't know if once you account for the middle sized shops it has the upper hand.

The OP, going by his post, would be fine with literally any live CD to learn shell and navigation basics IMO, but this thread has staying value for other people in the future, so I don't mind the slight tangent it's taken, far from OT anyway.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #38
leif3d

portfolio
Leif Pedersen
Miami, USA

True...Linux talk is never bad, especially in an increasingly strange CG market, where windows is making a move to touch interfaces and apple seems to be abandoning it's focus on our niche dcc market.

I had a terrible experience with fedora. I lost some work years ago because of some strange stability issue in xorg. It has probably gotten better though. Funny that the recommended version for fedora is always (at least) a 3 year old version, I guess current releases are too cutting edge to be stable. I had similar problems with opensuse.

After trying different rpm and debian distros I found centOS to be the most stable, so I've stuck with it for 6+ years now.

Who knows, with the two major OS's making bold decisions into the future, linux may be making a (little) comeback...

Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #39
SebKaine
Expert

portfolio
Emmanuel Mouillet
Fx Artist
Freelance
Paris, FR

Raffaele i also use to be a FC maniac. I started in the linux world with FC and love it a lot from FC 3 to FC 11. Like you said my main reproach to FC is that it is a testing distro thus new versions comes every 6 month , and probability of major techno switch (gcc, python, glibc , kernel, ui ... ) is pretty high , things go to fast for me, and chance are that you won't like some major choice done in the new distro ! that what happen at the end for me ...

So Debian in this regards is great and bad for the same opposite reason , it evolves as fast as a walking turtle with 4 broken legs and a 1000 Kg weight on the shell. But evolution are predictable and thus i do find that debian in this regards is a really trustable system.

Ubuntu was great at the beginning but now to my pov they fall in the same trap as FC, they evolve too fast because they want to hit the mainstream market and thus they make major shift in their last distro that i really don't like, again for a long term purpose i don't think ubuntu after 10.04 LTS would fit the need of long term reliability.

So at the end Centos and Debian has quite the same approach they are the neo-cons of the linux world (they both are in version 6 ...) they evolve slowly and they focus on long term reliability and this philosophy fit pretty well to CG ...

As CrunchBang IS debian and as the user base is much more fun , and the ui far more sexy than Debian it is a great choice for a mix beetween reliability / elegance. CentOS again is not magic nor sexy its jus the distro to run .rpm certified software like flame and maya.

just my 2 euros

Cheers

E

Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #40
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread