How did you first get interested in 3D?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #31
I just always dreamt of sitting in dark rooms all day/night

and this was a was I could do it and be paid...

Old 01 January 2013   #32
I was working a part-time job doing illustrations for medical court cases to get myself through school. The company I was under contract with had a box that sat in the corner of the room that I worked in, unopened... it was an Amiga 2000, brand new and unused. They had purchased it to try to do some 3D work, but no one in the office had the time to learn the software (Sculpt 3D) nor integrate it into their studio for doing titles and video composition... so after classes and work, i took the time to teach myself how to setup the system and use the software. Within a few months, i was hired by a partner company to do some 3D animation scenes, which i continued with various platforms for another 10 years.

Eventually leaving it because of burn-out, long hours, and serious under-pay to do other IT jobs for twice the pay...

And again, after another 14 years.. back, inspired, and not about to put up with bullshit.

I think I still have my first animation I did on the Amiga on VHS somewhere...

Old 01 January 2013   #33
I'd trained as a Technical Illustrator on the drawing board back in the mid 70s.

Then I saw a BBC Horizon documentary called 'Painting by Numbers' at the end of 1981. Jim Blinn was on it explaining how bumpmaps worked. My jaw was on the floor after that, mind you I had to wait quite a few years before I could afford a computer that could do any proper 3D.

Old 04 April 2013   #34
The T-1000 in T2 , my best theater experience EVER ... i saw it at ten , by passing the PG-12
forbidding ! What a Shock ...

Last edited by SebKaine : 04 April 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #35
I was a 2D animator, influenced by Disney. always loved working in the VFX for the magic of Ray Harryhausen movies and StarWars. Then i saw JURASSIC PARK (like many others), so i dreamed of working on something like that, i dreamed and dreamed till in 1998, "GODZILLA" came out and pulled my trigger to start.

Old 04 April 2013   #36
Warcraft III cinematics. I just wanted to know how to make stuff like that.

Old 04 April 2013   #37
Found Truespace 2 on the cover of a magazine. Made a mirror ball on a black and white checker grid. Hit render. Insta crack.

Been shooting up ever since.

Old 04 April 2013   #38
CAPTAIN POWER: AND THE SOLDIERS OF THE FUTURE!

Heheh not really, but kinda. Around the time of that show I got an Amiga computer, which had primitive 3D apps like POVRay, Sculpt 3D and Videoscape 3D (soon to be Lightwave). I did some videos for school using the Amiga's famous "genlock" technology, which allowed for compositing CG over live video (all done on VHS of course) and played around with other ideas.

The Amiga led to the Video Toaster, and Captain Power led to the formation of Foundation Imaging and Babylon 5. Amblin created an Amiga/Toaster team to do Seaquest DSV, Star Trek started using more and more CGI, and I am sure everyone with an Amiga/Toaster was trying to duplicate that stuff. I eventually I ended up meeting and/or working with all those guys and it became a career.

I, actually, always wanted to do comics and 2D animation, though, as a kid. 3D just sort of happened. 2D and drawing is still my first love!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 04 April 2013   #39
I drew tons of flip books as a kid and was looking for ways for not having to re-draw every single frame. That's where I stumbled upon a $65 3d package which was pure crap but magic to me

Independence day was the movie which made me sure that vfx (even though most was practical) is the right thing for me.

And that's where the life in front of the screen started

Cheers
Andre

Old 04 April 2013   #40
I remember Captain Power. That flying silver robot guy influenced some stop motion animation I was doing at the time.

The commodore 64 and Amiga didnt really interest me in 3d although I fiddled with digipaint or whatever it was called but got bored with it.
It was probably the water creature faces in Abyss that made me take notice of CGI (the stain glass knight in Young Sherlock Holmes did too but at the time I didnt know any cgi was involved).
Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park just sealed the deal however I didnt expect in those days that the technology would progress so rapidly for home computers. Only when it had did I get interested in learning it.

Old 04 April 2013   #41
Originally Posted by teruchan: CAPTAIN POWER: AND THE SOLDIERS OF THE FUTURE!

If there is something deserved a 'the movie' treatment now that we have Transformer and G.I Joe, that would be it

I was young at that time to understand anything about the process at the moment, so my CGI moment was MegaRace, now available at gog.com. The next one was Lost Eden by Cryo Interactive. My first hobby was game/programming, having access to monochrome PC and later CGA. Domark 3D Construction Set was awesome. Demoscene give me the interest to real time computer graphics too.

Old 04 April 2013   #42
Originally Posted by kelgy: I remember Captain Power. That flying silver robot guy influenced some stop motion animation I was doing at the time.

The commodore 64 and Amiga didnt really interest me in 3d although I fiddled with digipaint or whatever it was called but got bored with it.
It was probably the water creature faces in Abyss that made me take notice of CGI (the stain glass knight in Young Sherlock Holmes did too but at the time I didnt know any cgi was involved).
Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park just sealed the deal however I didnt expect in those days that the technology would progress so rapidly for home computers. Only when it had did I get interested in learning it.

I also never knew the stain glass knight in Sherlock Holmes was CGI until much much later. The same with the morphing in The Golden Child and Willow. The Commodore 64 actually led me into an interest in 8 bit games! I wrote a few for some of the popular magazines at the time. Similar to your case, each major leap in CGI, especially Jurassic Park, kept pushing me in that direction. I remember going to meetings, though, where Silicon Graphics would show off their machines and awesome software like Alias and Wavefront, when they were still separate entities, and I thought all this stuff is SO out of my league.

Originally Posted by fablefox: If there is something deserved a 'the movie' treatment now that we have Transformer and G.I Joe, that would be it

I was young at that time to understand anything about the process at the moment, so my CGI moment was MegaRace, now available at gog.com. The next one was Lost Eden by Cryo Interactive. My first hobby was game/programming, having access to monochrome PC and later CGA. Domark 3D Construction Set was awesome. Demoscene give me the interest to real time computer graphics too.

I had a parallel running interest in games and VFX. I learned to program the 6502 processor and tried to create rip offs of arcade games like Mario. I actually wrote my own sprite editor on the C64. Since I was an artist first, I could do my own graphics for my games. The Amiga was already beyond me for programming, and I never really learned any high level languages.

That parallel interested culminated about the time that CD games started coming out, like Cyberia and Burn Cycle. Games and films seemed like they would combine. I went into Rainbow Studios to work on those kinds of games. Strange that it took almost 20 YEARS for games like Watchdogs and Last of Us to get back to that cinematic level, but now with fully controllable realtime characters and environments rather than actors shot on video.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 04 April 2013   #43
For me it was The Last Starfighter (I know hokey games type effects ) and Babylon 5

Old 04 April 2013   #44
This:

Old 04 April 2013   #45
I don't remember the exact why and how.
But it had nothing to do with film or images made with 3D I admired.

I remember I desired lightning above anything.
Back when Brazil was still alive the most googled brazil image was one I made, some interior room. It was rendered with photons.
I made that after a year of light training on my self. And after I made that, I learned how to draw 2 splines and Trim them so they would be come joint.
I could render anything and model nothing heh.

Thread Closed share thread