BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Who cares? Dude, how is your salary?
Youtube is an amazing platform which gives Individuals the power to be free of the shackles of the corperate structure, except the youtube corp that is

Fair enough, good point. I must admit I do follow at least one of these people on a regular basis.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #47
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Ha ha,.. that's a good one. I used to work for Philips consumer electronics and it is widely known that as early as the implimentation of the cassette tape big companies have tried to embed techniques to stop copying, same as used resale. The flaw being that companies who don't support the measures sell more.

Sony will implement (no they wont because it is bad business) the chip or signal or whatever then a subsidury of sony will sell signal free disks. Wanna bet?

I don't really know, Sony is famous for:

a) putting root kit on DRM even if that make the audio CD ONLY playable on PC! Note the world ONLY.

b) still focus on their own memory disk/stick for their product. Something that no other hardware manufacture uses.

c) sticking to UMD for a while, causing people to have to buy game/movie twice? (focus is more on movies here.....)

And many other things. So the "no they wont" parenthesis is useless because they are known to shoot themselves in the foot. Even in the music player business despite they were the first in walkman, and also have music publishing subsidiary.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #48
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze
Fair enough, good point. I must admit I do follow at least one of these people on a regular basis.

Yeah I have to admit I subscribe to quite a few musicians and have had a lot of enjoyment out of youtube.
Quote:
And many other things. So the "no they wont" parenthesis is useless because they are known to shoot themselves in the foot. Even in the music player business despite they were the first in walkman, and also have music publishing subsidiary.

I suppose we are going to use xbox then
I havent had a playstation for years.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #49
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox
Justin, like PSY, received genuie hits. PSY thanks to the dance meme, and Bieber thanks to marketing. And Justin was early enough there is no opportunity (and reason) to do this back then.

Sure he got plenty of hits after the marketting.
But the whole marketting around Justin Bieber was based on how many hits he got on youtube and thanks to that he got his record deal.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #50
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR
Sure he got plenty of hits after the marketting.
But the whole marketting around Justin Bieber was based on how many hits he got on youtube and thanks to that he got his record deal.

Still grass root marketing, viral style.

Even for Greyson Chanche, some people did some investigating, AFAIK, and wonder why did he managed to get a Yahoo front page - before becoming viral, and then considered as "viral", and later appeared on Ellen. Basic marketing (posting) was done on Gossipboy.ca and Reddit, and was getting around 10K. And later (from wikipedia) it was mentioned that

"Ellen DeGeneres first saw the video after Chance's brother, Tanner Chance, wrote to her show suggesting she watch it".

Seriously? I would love if my first book is selected into Oprah book club. And of course, later Ellen start her own record label to push Greyson. Only later did it become seriously viral (playing on Ellen and all). So there are conspiracy theory that the recording was professionally done to look viral (like some airliner video viral of two stewardess coming from same toilet(?)). For example most of background student were girls.

As for Bieber, wiki says this: "While searching for videos of a different singer, Scooter Braun, a former marketing executive of So So Def, clicked on one of Bieber's 2007 videos by accident."

So I'm not sure about Bieber original number back then. But it wasn't popular because of popular thingy.

Either way, they are not PSY way of popularity, as in seriously big and seriously viral before US record label start to take him seriously.

Anyway, whatever the secret behind Greyson, I know he do have the talent. Too bad I couldn't afford the ticket and was quite busy when he came here a while ago.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #51
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread