Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #31
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

Google pulls in a lot of money from ad revenue http://investor.google.com/financial/tables.html and if viewing numbers didn't mean anything financially to Youtube then they likely wouldn't give a toss about users and companies artificially boosting their view counts.

Advertisers pay a higher price for better times (ie.. primetime tv, superbowl) or space (ie.. better located billboards). The same thing happens online, advertisers pay higher prices to appear next to the popular videos or websites.

I couldn't find any actual numbers, but it does seem that being popular on Youtube can pay out reasonably well... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/t.../03youtube.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'New York Times Article
YouTube shares advertising revenue with content partners, who may be big entertainment companies like Lions Gate or amateur videographers who have developed a following. Hundreds of these partners make more than $100,000 a year. Some, like Sal Khan, a former hedge fund manager who now makes math and science education videos, have quit their day jobs.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan D Young
How about people make up their own minds. I have never ever looked at these ratings of who likes who or what and checked it out. Be your own person, like what you like and don't follow the crowd.

Thats fine except revenue is generated from hits.

Ah didn't see earlyworm above.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #33
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrinc
I highly doubt it is about advertising revenue from YouTube. This is about 'appearing' to be the top dog. The impression of success is what they're after. It's all smoke and mirrors to bump up their market value.

No, it's about money. Otherwise YouTube wouldn't have investigated.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #34
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Khan has racked up millions in donations for Khan Academy, on top of the millions he already has, so I don't think he quit his job just for the ad revenue. I've also never seen ads on his videos.

I don't think the Big5 are making bank off YouTube ad money, compared to what they make for concerts. It probably had more to do with overall marketing strategy to make the music look more popular, and get peoples attention.

I mean hell, I only watched Gangam style because I read that It almost had 1 billion views. I don't think Ill be attending a PSY concert any time soon though.

-AJ

Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
It probably had more to do with overall marketing strategy to make the music look more popular, and get peoples attention.

Yeah, but that's cheating, right? Pretending that Artist X has 150 Million views, when the real number was 28 Million or something like that.

I think that this whole debacle is one more nail in the coffin of the big boys of the Music Industry.

I mean lets face it: Not only are many of the popular music acts that have come out in the last years not all that great at making music. Now we also need millions of "fake views" or "fake likes" on Youtube, Facebook, et cetera, to appreciate them.

The whole thing makes me glad that I grew up in a time when there were alround excellent - and genuine - bands like Queen, U2, Pearl Jam and others around.

The current crop of artists - Rihanna, Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5 and so on - doesn't really do much for me.

Their music is more like fast-food than a gourmet meal, so no wonder Sony/Universal have cheated mightily to boost their online popularity.

In any case, this stuff is cyclical. 5 years from now, we may see the return of actually good bands again that write their own songs, and can perform live without sounding like sonic diarrhea....

Old 01-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #36
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Solid Gold was about as corny and made up as Gaga, so I wouldn't pin that kind of thing on a particular generation.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #37
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
The whole thing makes me glad that I grew up in a time when there were alround excellent - and genuine - bands like Queen, U2, Pearl Jam and others around.
Musical taste is completely subjective of course but reading this made my ears cry

Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #38
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint

In any case, this stuff is cyclical. 5 years from now, we may see the return of actually good bands again that write their own songs, and can perform live without sounding like sonic diarrhea....

There is a lot of good music out there, you just have to find it. Mainstream music hasn't been good since the 70's.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #39
grrinc
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
No, it's about money. Otherwise YouTube wouldn't have investigated.

I agree that it is about money in the bigger picture, it generally is. But I doubt Sony did this just for the revenue. Success sells success. And even the impression of success sells success. By appearing to have so many millions of viewers, Sony, and the others culprits, are making the impressions their share holder want to see. Who would want to appear 'not as popular' in YouTube?

YouTube would of investigated such blatant fraudulence anyway, no matter how much money it involved. They have their own integrity to watch out for.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #40
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Im totally amazed theres no mentioning of Justin Bieber on that list

Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #41
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

oh noes, so many fake people on internet, no ones being genuine and good and real! my, my. what are we gonna do now that cats outta the bag?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #42
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

It's all a popularity contest, like a digital global high-school. The popular kids/content gets all the attention and people pay to hang out with the popular kids. This is what makes then whole state of the "pop" music industry silly for me. They create the most generic musical crap and sell it like it is gold until enough people believe that it is and buy into it via masses.

This sums it up well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijr4rwb2WbE

What is more interesting to me is application of similar tactics to online reputation. Be it a site like guru.com or other readily emerging freelance/work sites, reputation does have a direct real-world value for every individual there. If you were able to fake that then the trust in the whole system would start collapsing, similarly if you were able to fake your credit score the whole credit score system would collapse. I bet we will see more regulation when it comes to 'serious' sites like that.

As for youtube.. pfft, who cares? If advertisers trust in views and people are silly enough to alter their opinion of a video based on a number below it then they are simply not bright enough to hold on to their money. Careless people have been bamboozled out of their money throughout history and that will not change anytime soon.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #43
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze
As for youtube.. pfft, who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'The Telegraph' Friday 04 January 2013
TubeMogul's top 10 independent YouTube acts
(estimated earnings and number of views in past 12 months)
1. Shane Dawson ($315,000/200,000) 431,787,450 views
Clean-living, wholesome 22-year-old Californian comic actor producing home-made sketches.
2. The Annoying Orange ($288,000/185,504) 349,753,047 views
Animated fruit created by Dane Boedigheimer that could soon appear on television.
3. Philip DeFranco ($181,000/117,000) 248,735,032 views
Video blogger (vlogger) who began uploading clips while at university.
4. Ryan Higa ($151,000/97,200) 206,979,909 views
Also known as Nigahiga, the Hawaiian-born Japanese-American evolved from lip-synching to original comedy and has had more than 150 million hits. Videos How to be Gangster and How to be Ninja went viral for him and his Yabo Crew.
5. Fred Figglehorn ($146,000/94,000) 200,656,150 views
Lucas Cruikshank, 16, whose videos aimed at children are soon to appear on Nickelodeon.
6. Shay Carl ($140,000/90,000) 192,309,247 views
An Idaho radio DJ and comic
7. Mediocre Films ($116,000/74,600) 159,030,703 views
Comedy clips created by Greg Benson.
8. Smosh ($113,000/72,700) 154,936,876 views
Comedy duo Anthony Padilla & Ian Hecox
9. The Young Turks ($112,000/72,000) 153,807,362 views
Current affairs discussions and satire
10. Natalie Tran ($101,000/65,000) 138,871,829 views
24-year-old Vietnamese-Australian comic with popular vlogs. is the No 1 Down Under.

Who cares? Dude, how is your salary?
Youtube is an amazing platform which gives Individuals the power to be free of the shackles of the corperate structure, except the youtube corp that is

I dont much care for the material from many on the list but the important thing is they can make a nice living doing what they want. There are some very talented folks who have had their start thanks to youtube and the site gives everybody the chance to use it fairly freely. As a hosting service for your stuff it is gold.

Youtube would have made money from the false stats they wouldn't hurt the stock any. I bet they have known about manipulation for a long time. For the service they provide I can forgive them. Oh and for big companies,... image is everything. I couldn't find the cost of the shell logo's development, but I bet it is a lot!

Last edited by Kanga : 01-04-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 AM   #44
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR
Im totally amazed theres no mentioning of Justin Bieber on that list

Justin, like PSY, received genuie hits. PSY thanks to the dance meme, and Bieber thanks to marketing. And Justin was early enough there is no opportunity (and reason) to do this back then.

I have no problem with Bieber really, it just that I wished Greyson Chance become bigger than he is (as in popularity) since I think Greyson Chance can sing better.

And Declan Gabraith ("tell me why") just born at the wrong time (as in serious business opportunity).

Just like that Korean kid that worked at NASA at the age of 11, once in a while there will be teens who is a serious business talenty, it just sad that some of them are not getting the opportunity they deserved.

And regarding Sony,

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...sed-game-sales/

Sigh...

Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #45
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox

Ha ha,.. that's a good one. I used to work for Philips consumer electronics and it is widely known that as early as the implimentation of the cassette tape big companies have tried to embed techniques to stop copying, same as used resale. The flaw being that companies who don't support the measures sell more.

Sony will implement (no they wont because it is bad business) the chip or signal or whatever then a subsidury of sony will sell signal free disks. Wanna bet?

Thread Closed share thread