Youtube deletes Billions of "Fake Views"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #16
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Why am I not surprised that Sony is right in the middle of this. With all the dubious crap they have pulled over the years they remain firmly at the top of my shit list.

Sony, sadly, is no longer the famous "SONY" we grew up with... you know... quality TVs, radios, walkmen, camcorders, et cetera.

All due to bad management decisions at the top.

In my view, Samsung has pretty much replaced Sony in many consumer product segments.

Now if only Samsung made a game console to rival PS4...

Old 12 December 2012   #17
So piracy is bad, but faking your popularity to increase sales is fine? Pff

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 12 December 2012   #18
Originally Posted by vfx: ..........but faking your popularity to increase sales is fine? Pff

Eh no it isn't, and that's why YouTube took action to stop it.

Old 12 December 2012   #19
Originally Posted by Dillster: Eh no it isn't, and that's why YouTube took action to stop it.

His point is that Sony preaches about copyright and honesty, yet they are clearly and fraudulently stealing millions in advertisement.

Double standard.

Old 12 December 2012   #20
Originally Posted by DePaint: Sony, sadly, is no longer the famous "SONY" we grew up with... you know... quality TVs, radios, walkmen, camcorders, et cetera.

All due to bad management decisions at the top.

In my view, Samsung has pretty much replaced Sony in many consumer product segments.

Now if only Samsung made a game console to rival PS4...

Sony started going down hill once they purchased the media arm of their organization imo. They should have stuck to making gadgets.

Old 12 December 2012   #21
Originally Posted by leif3d: His point is that Sony preaches about copyright and honesty, yet they are clearly and fraudulently stealing millions in advertisement.

Double standard.

Yes I get his point now. Good observation.

Old 12 December 2012   #22
Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Why am I not surprised that Sony is right in the middle of this. With all the dubious crap they have pulled over the years they remain firmly at the top of my shit list.

+1

Amen.

Old 01 January 2013   #23
Sony needs to go back to the good old days of "Customer is King".

Only then will they stop making one silly mistake after another.

Putting stealth DRM on Music CDs was a seriously bad move by Sony Music.

Inflating their Youtube viewcounts with "fake views" is just a continuation of that kind of policy.

Maybe Sony needs a change of senior management... putting more competent people in the job...

My 2 Cents...

Old 01 January 2013   #24
Call me silly. But it seems sad to me that your importance or worth is dependant on how many views you have in the first place. I guess i'm old.

Old 01 January 2013   #25
Smile

Originally Posted by DePaint: Yeah. If you or me uploaded something to Youtube, then faked a few hundred thousand views, I guarantee you that our accounts would be suspended, and our videos deleted, in a matter of days.

When the big boys like Sony Music and Universal Records do it, to the tune a few hundred million fake views in some cases, they don't get any shit for it. They just lose their fake viewcount one day...

That's the way 21st Century capitalism works, unfortunately.

The system rewards the big boys and gives them unlimited freedom.

Us "small fry" get few of those rewards, and the second we do something dodgy/unethical, we get punished for it in some way.

A sad State of Affairs, really...

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...a-joke-20121213

Yeah, but it shouldn't be a shock. Who makes the law? Who lobby? Who are whose friends? So if law protect the big boys, then it is something to be expected.

Old 01 January 2013   #26
Really why all the hate for Sony?

If you were ceo, you'd be say sure, if people want to be 'followers' then lets do it because better they be our followers than the competition. The reality is once one starts, everyone's in.

After all ANY company needs to make revenue, it's called capitalism, I doubt they worried about ad revenue from youtube, but rather straight marketing and sales growth, it's more about letting people know it's out there, in the media saturated world today, anything that can achieve that - will be done.

As for the whining about oh if i did it, sorry but thats rubbish, you either don't know what to do, or where to go.

Old 01 January 2013   #27
I seriously doubt Sony made big money out of cheating the views, even though it was shoddy practice. Youtube pay the least of all online companies for hits, to the best of my knowledge. The reason I know is because my Dad has a Goldwing motorcycle forum and a few years ago he put up some maintenance tutrorial videos on Youtube. When some of them hit 10k Youtube sent a stock message asking if he would like to get paid for adverts in the videos. My Dad asked how much they pay and they sent back a message with no firm figures but only a very very complicated formula for working it out. We worked out that a million hits only pays about $80, which is totally laughable. We didn't take them up on the offer.

Old 01 January 2013   #28
Great article about the problems with Sony.

Sony notenoughshaders.com

Old 01 January 2013   #29
Originally Posted by Remi: Call me silly. But it seems sad to me that your importance or worth is dependant on how many views you have in the first place. I guess i'm old.

It's not about importance or worth, it's about advertising revenue. Notice the ads in front of YouTube videos? If you can claim to have millions and millions of views, you can milk your advertisers for far more money than if you had fewer views.

That's the controversy here.

Old 01 January 2013   #30
I highly doubt it is about advertising revenue from YouTube. This is about 'appearing' to be the top dog. The impression of success is what they're after. It's all smoke and mirrors to bump up their market value.

Thread Closed share thread